Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Soliloquy 5.3  (Read 6522 times)

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
Soliloquy 5.3
« on: September 20, 2006, 09:37:12 AM »
I have a chance to pick up a pair of these locally (well a few hours away).  I asked around, and there are only two companies(audio) here, and neither carry this line.

my question is has anyone ever owned these?  are they worth the money?  The pics look like they are mint condition, and he says 9/10 which i guess means mint for most people since you really can't give a 10/10 for used equipment. 

I will be running these behind a sony 3000es, and just want to make sure that it is worth my time and money. I also plan on purchasing one of those power conditioners posted in another thread recently.

I was looking at these that Nick had posted http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=71860.0  but it would cost about the same amount of money after shipping that I can get these for locally (within 100$).  Any comments/concerns or whatever would be greatly appreciated.

btw...I also have a line on a pair of B&W 604 s2's   but they are rated 7/10 and would have to be shipped.  These would save me about 150$ even with shipping, but again...lower rating. 

thanx for any feedback or suggestions
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 09:43:50 AM by RaZoRbAcK »
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
Re: Soliloquy 5.3
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 09:40:38 AM »
www.audioreview.com

Sorry, no personal experience.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 09:48:46 AM »
thanx, I have already done the research/reading online.  I should have posted that earlier  :P From what I have read, they are excellent.  However, I give more credit to peoples opinions here who I know arent getting paid to write a rave review, and usually listen to similar music to my taste.  Also, with the Sony reciever receieving alot of tout around here, I was "hoping" that someone might have ran this combo.  Thanx for the link anyway.

bj

[edit] I guess I should add, that I can get these (pair) for 550$ with local pickup...so I am leaning heavily towards these  :o
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 09:55:47 AM by RaZoRbAcK »
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 09:52:40 AM »
Moke runs these...and speaks highly of them.  I never have heard them as I havent made it over to their manufacturing facility down the road in NC yet...

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 10:45:08 AM »
Moke, what are you running in front of them?  tube or ss?  my area is a smaller area (maybe 12' wide by 16' deep) with my big screen tv, it looks like they will be about 3 feet from the side walls and about 2' from back wall. i hope that is enough spacing.  I am pretty sure this is what I will end up getting, but I hope more people can comment.  Some of the reviews I read, said they are better with tube, but I dont have the skrills to go out and get tube right now.  My wife may kill me for this purchase  :o
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 10:47:31 AM »
Yep, I'll second that Soliloquys are excellent speakers!!  I've got a pair of SAT-5's which I now use for my office/sound editing system.  I've also used them with a Pinnacle babyboomer sub in my main system -- built around a varying pre/amp setup (different tube preamps and SS amps, then with the Sony 3000ES).  In every setup configuration/room, they've sounded fantastic.

If you're getting a pair of 5.3's for anything around that price of that set Nick mentioned, you're getting a serious steal.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 12:58:32 PM »
those are really beautiful speakers.

anyone know what their current pricing is?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 01:04:00 PM »
i cant find a retailer near me...but the List price is $1900 So i would guess around $1500  ???  so 1/3 of that seems good to me....at anyrate...its really the only speakers I have found within driving distance that I can put within my budget.  Not shipping makes me want them that much more..shipping really scares me.
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline Liquid Meat

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 01:09:55 PM »
If you contact the manufacturer directly they have blemish models that are cheaper still.

Offline tiberiusbkirk

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 01:55:21 PM »
I have the Soliloquy 5.0, my Brother in Law has the 5.3 and once had the center channel.
At that price, it's really a bargain.
I bought my 5.0 used for $300 with stands, if I recall over 5 years ago.
We've used them with various amps from a Jolida tube to a Krell KSA250.
Shipping is an ordeal with heavy speakers, my brother shipped a pr of Tylo's and was received with a dent in one corner.
Because of that, the speaker was returned at his expense, and he sold it at a larger loss.
These are heavy speakers and their spike design is top notch along with their cabinet work.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 02:31:52 PM »
I need to create some tile spike feet out of some oak that I have in the garage, since they now reside on a tile floor.

so is this the best option for this scenario?  I am looking at moving to a new home with hardwoods and thought what I should use is the discs you find online for floor protection...would be good to know if there were other options...

Offline Tim

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 03:02:23 PM »
i took the spikes off of my b&w's when I moved to a new place with hardwood. do the spikes not come off of the soliloquy?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 03:03:34 PM »
i took the spikes off of my b&w's when I moved to a new place with hardwood. do the spikes not come off of the soliloquy?

you notice any differences in sound?

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 03:04:34 PM »

put the spikes back in, you will notice an improvement.  since i don't care about my POS apartment,  just have the spikes sitting on the hardwood.  they make vinyl discs that will prevent scratching.  there was a noticeable improvement in sound when i reinstalled the spikes on my hardwood floor.

Offline Tim

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 03:07:29 PM »
hmmmm - I guess I'll have to do some comparisons tonight

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 03:24:39 PM »
they make vinyl discs that will prevent scratching.

any point to these?  Where would they be available?  I have only seen the little metal discs with a dimple...

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 03:31:17 PM »
i don't know about the metal ones, i just know about the little vinyl/rubber things that came with my speakers.  i never tried them as for a while they were on an area rug.  not that i've moved them back onto the hardwood, i'm at the point where i don't care about the floors in my rental which are scratched enough that i haven't tried the vinyl discs out.  however, i also don't slide the speakers if i need to move em, i grab hold and lift em (which ain't all that easy) so the floor hasn't really shown ill effects.

Offline Tim

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2006, 03:32:59 PM »
Just found this this guy suggested putting nickels under the spikes -
http://forum.stereophile.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=tweaks&Number=6904&page=0&fpart=all

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2006, 03:34:39 PM »
good info...thanks guys

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2006, 09:51:10 PM »
I thought Soliloquy went out of business? It wouldn't stop me from buying a pair but it could be why there are no dealers?

I bought a heavy pair of spikes for my VR4jr's & noticed a difference although it was very slight.

I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

BobW

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006, 09:38:58 AM »
they make vinyl discs that will prevent scratching.

any point to these?  Where would they be available?  I have only seen the little metal discs with a dimple...

Go to any good hardware store and seek out the Carpet Cups and Casters section.
They make mini-metal-felt-tipped-spike-holding-cups that sell for $3 for a set of four.
The disks are smaller than a dime and have a small metal cup that you can attach to the bottom of a spike with silicone sealant.

The spikes won't prevent speaker creep nor pierce the carpet to prevent dents(the reasons they were originally used), but it they will decouple from the floor even better than spikes alone.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.124 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com