Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Soliloquy 5.3  (Read 6516 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: Soliloquy 5.3
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 03:24:39 PM »
they make vinyl discs that will prevent scratching.

any point to these?  Where would they be available?  I have only seen the little metal discs with a dimple...

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 03:31:17 PM »
i don't know about the metal ones, i just know about the little vinyl/rubber things that came with my speakers.  i never tried them as for a while they were on an area rug.  not that i've moved them back onto the hardwood, i'm at the point where i don't care about the floors in my rental which are scratched enough that i haven't tried the vinyl discs out.  however, i also don't slide the speakers if i need to move em, i grab hold and lift em (which ain't all that easy) so the floor hasn't really shown ill effects.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2006, 03:32:59 PM »
Just found this this guy suggested putting nickels under the spikes -
http://forum.stereophile.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=tweaks&Number=6904&page=0&fpart=all
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2006, 03:34:39 PM »
good info...thanks guys

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2006, 09:51:10 PM »
I thought Soliloquy went out of business? It wouldn't stop me from buying a pair but it could be why there are no dealers?

I bought a heavy pair of spikes for my VR4jr's & noticed a difference although it was very slight.

I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006, 09:38:58 AM »
they make vinyl discs that will prevent scratching.

any point to these?  Where would they be available?  I have only seen the little metal discs with a dimple...

Go to any good hardware store and seek out the Carpet Cups and Casters section.
They make mini-metal-felt-tipped-spike-holding-cups that sell for $3 for a set of four.
The disks are smaller than a dime and have a small metal cup that you can attach to the bottom of a spike with silicone sealant.

The spikes won't prevent speaker creep nor pierce the carpet to prevent dents(the reasons they were originally used), but it they will decouple from the floor even better than spikes alone.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com