Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: B&H First Look: juicedLink DN 101  (Read 3016 times)

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
- What's this knob do?

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
Re: B&H First Look: juicedLink DN 101
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 12:20:44 AM »
Nice
I have never been a fan of AGC - so it's cool to see a workaround for video folks

--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 01:03:19 AM »
How do they do it?  My guess is they output a high frequency tone (above 15k) that turns down the gain completely on the mic input.  Or I guess you could output something really low frequency as well.

Anyone else have a guess?

Hmm.  Maybe the ADC input of these recorders is OK.  Probably just as good as a NJB3 analog input, anyway.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 11:22:34 AM »
Back to the AGC defeat mode. The DN101 beats Automatic Gain Control by injecting a strong signal into the right channel of the camera. The left channel is then used to record the clean "balanced" audio. This is why you can only hear the left channel through headphones in AGC defeat mode. To provide some sense of normalcy, the left channel is present in both the left and right ear cups. When setting up the preamp, make sure to set the Pan switches to the left position.

The AGC defeat method also has some implications on the editing of your project. Since the right channel is being blown out with a strong signal, you'll want to remove it from your timeline. Most non-linear editing software makes this easy to do. Just remember to do it. You want to edit with audio from the left channel only.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com