Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom H4  (Read 64494 times)

Offline panicpilgrims

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Zoom H4
« Reply #180 on: January 23, 2007, 08:25:47 PM »
This is what i was hoping, to be able to afford 2 good mics.  Go ahead and fluff your own rig, I'm lookin for ideas.  I have a show entirely taped with the H4, and it sounds okay, just missing a little low end - although it was Calexico, not real low-end heavy.  Thanks for the info, and keep it comin!

Offline bluevolvo

• Taperssection Regular
  • chic singers rule
« Reply #181 on: February 18, 2007, 10:24:23 PM »
Just ran my 1st show with the H4, and I'm also pleased (did do some testing in the home studio prior).  This was straight MS > H4 (no pre; post mix in AA2)

http://righteousdog.com/freemusik/krb20070217_show_your_love.mp3

...and bonus paws for a grrl with an acoustic

more pics and info HERE (scroll to top for a killer acoustic set)

« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 05:27:05 PM by bluevolvo »
full-on: AKG C414BXLS-ST/Neumann SKM184MT's/Oktava MK012's-COH > PMD671/MOTU Traveler+ADA8000/HD24XR|MX6650
down-low: AT831's > SP-SPSB-1 > iHP-120 (RockBox'd)
[p-mod UA-5 with/in between]

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #182 on: February 22, 2007, 11:13:43 PM »
The other day I had the chance to run the Zoom H4 with the internal mics and my Studio Projects LSD2 > Presonus Firebox > MacBook setup from the exact same spot for a band called Ockham's Razor. Here's one track from both sources:

http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/Zoom.mp3
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/LSD2.mp3

You definitely get what you pay for mic-wise, but I'm still pretty happy with the Zoom as a budget recorder/pre/phantom unit.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #183 on: January 24, 2008, 01:32:06 PM »
Well its been a good long time since anyone has posted about the h4 and a good long time since its been out, so I thought I would check to see how much they still like their recording device.

I'm strongly leaning towards this device over the microtrack II and over the Edirol R-09. The Sony D50 thing looks nice but I think if I get a less expensive recorder and a couple good mics, I would be able to record right now without waiting to save money to buy mics.

So does everyone still like the Zoom h4? What I like the most about it are the XLR inputs. It is sad to see it does not have 1/8" connections but I could live with that. How heavy is the zoom h4? It looks pretty plasticly and flimsy.

What about the Fostex FR2LE? What's LE, limited edition? This just looks like a tape player.

So what do you think about the h4 & maybe a couple ATU873R to record fests of sort?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #184 on: January 24, 2008, 05:46:11 PM »
Rastasean-If you want a recorder with phantom power, I'd recommend the Fostex FR2-LE over the H-4. I love mine and everyone on taperssection who has one seems to like theirs (especially if modded by Busman, but it's supposed to sound good stock). Note that the Fostex's internal mics are worthless, but with externals, it is a far superior recorder to the Zoom.

If you plan to tape with mini-mics and stealth is important, get an R-09. I'd be leary of the Microtrack II, unless you want to use it as a bit bucket.

If you really want a Zoom H-4, I have one gathering dust. Maybe I could make you a deal if you also want an external battery and Sound Pros' adapters that allow you to easily use mini-mics with it.  It worked fine the few times I took it in the field, but it is not very convenient to use (unless you want it for it's internal mics) and has a number of reported problems when used for taping live concerts.

However if you're serious about taping, I don't think you'd use a Zoom for very long before you'd want to step up to something better.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 07:56:02 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #185 on: January 24, 2008, 05:55:26 PM »
What he said.  The Zoom was attractive at a point in time when the only real competitor (small all in one with XLRs and phantom power) was the Marantz PMD660, which was much more expensive and pretty much worthless for live taping until modded for even more $$$.  Now that the FR2LE is on the scene and has come down a lot in price since its introduction, the Zoom's limitations are more significant.  It can make decent recordings, but the FR2LE is probably worth the extra expense.

The U873Rs are nice mics especially with the interchangeable caps.  If you don't mind made-in-China, also look at Studio Projects C4s, Avantone mics, and the new Busman mics (check out the retail space forum).

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #186 on: January 24, 2008, 06:13:38 PM »
Rastasean-If you want a recorder with phantom power, I'd recommend the Fostex FR2-LE over the H-4. I love mine and everyone on taperssection who has one seems to like theirs (especially if modded by Busman, but it's supposed to sound good stock).

Do you know what does Busman modify and what's the cost? What about warranty?

Note that the Fostex's internal mics are worthless, but with externals, it is a far superior recorder than the Zoom.

What about when using any of them with something like an SD Mixpre?

It worked fine the few times I took it in the field, but it is not very convenient to use (unless you want it for it's internal mics) and has a number of reported problems when used for taping live concerts.

What reported problems were that?

However if you're serious about taping, I don't think you'd use a Zoom for very long before you'd want to step up to something better.

Well, I am serious about taping, because I want a small reliable card machine to work as the main audio recorder in portable video situations, double-system style.

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #187 on: January 24, 2008, 06:30:28 PM »
Is there a time-code version for the  Fostex FR-2 LE?

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #188 on: January 24, 2008, 08:11:20 PM »
Yep, it's called the Fostex FR-2 with timecode, about $1800! 

A more reasonable two channel recorder with timecode input is the Tascam HD-P2, ~$850.  It's used a lot by TV and film production folks.

Flintstone

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #189 on: January 25, 2008, 03:45:19 AM »

A more reasonable two channel recorder with timecode input is the Tascam HD-P2, ~$850.  It's used a lot by TV and film production folks.

Yes, the HD-P2 is an excellent and very affordable option. Pity it's a bit large for my application.

My idea is to secure this recorder on the video camera head base, or an extension behind it, if you picture what I mean. That's why I was thinking of a Zoom or a Fostex small size recorder. 

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #190 on: January 25, 2008, 05:59:40 AM »

Yes, the HD-P2 is an excellent and very affordable option. Pity it's a bit large for my application.

My idea is to secure this recorder on the video camera head base, or an extension behind it, if you picture what I mean. That's why I was thinking of a Zoom or a Fostex small size recorder. 

PMD-620 is also very small size deck, and is better built than most, but like most these compact flash recorders, has maybe too noisy preamp only good for recording louder amplified music venues unless attaching external preamplifier.

Below is noise comparison of PMD-620 internal mic preamp vs. my (smaller than deck) PA-3SX external preamp supplying same mic gain. 

As is very clear in the graph, with external preamplifier, PMD-620 has excellent low noise recording ability.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #191 on: January 25, 2008, 07:05:37 AM »
PMD-620 is also very small size deck, and is better built than most, but like most these compact flash recorders, has maybe too noisy preamp only good for recording louder amplified music venues unless attaching external preamplifier.

It also has no balanced inputs, no 48v phantom and no 96KHz capability.

It's quite likely that whatever the unit I buy, in due time, probably short time, I will get a SD Mixpre. That mixer would provide more flexibility, input transformers and a very effective limiter, besides good headphone monitoring.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 09:52:10 AM by Carlos E. Martinez »

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #192 on: January 25, 2008, 09:16:33 AM »
Well hell guys. I went to bed thinking the Zoom H4 was still pretty decent and everyone was liking it and I get online this morning and people have them but don't really use them.

The Fostex is nice except no internal mics, actually that's probably a good thing since I don't really need internal mics. OH, haha, just read the specs and it does have a built in mic but its not specializing it in.

What kinds of accessories are there for the fr-2LE? I did wish it had 1/8" inputs but I could live with an adapter.

How does this device feel? The Zoom looks very cheap and like it would break but this FRLE isn't much better looking. How strong is it really?

Ideally if I am going to be recording a music fest, I think I would want the path something like this: mic-----mic (meaning two separate mics): mixing board: recorder.

And other times I would not use the board but I still think it would be a good option just for extra mic pres.

What do you say?

Now what don't you guys like about the FR2-LE?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #193 on: January 25, 2008, 10:06:36 AM »
Well hell guys. I went to bed thinking the Zoom H4 was still pretty decent and everyone was liking it and I get online this morning and people have them but don't really use them.

The Fostex is nice except no internal mics, actually that's probably a good thing since I don't really need internal mics. OH, haha, just read the specs and it does have a built in mic but its not specializing it in.

What kinds of accessories are there for the fr-2LE? I did wish it had 1/8" inputs but I could live with an adapter.

Are you kidding? One of the best things in the Zoom and the Fostex is that they use XLRs for mic inputs. The next best is the the Microtrack, which has 1/4" for the balanced mic/line inputs. The worst of the lot is the Edirol, which only has 1/8" jacks.

The 1/8" connector is one of the worst there is. They do need adaptors, but what you should do is leave them plugged all the time. And connect your stuff using XLR or 1/4" connectors.

If you have mics using 1/8" plugs, replace them for XLRs.

Ideally if I am going to be recording a music fest, I think I would want the path something like this: mic-----mic (meaning two separate mics): mixing board: recorder.

And other times I would not use the board but I still think it would be a good option just for extra mic pres.

What do you say?

Seems alright. It will depend on the quality of the mics and the quality of the preamp, as you will not really mix anything, but record it in separate channels.

Now what don't you guys like about the FR2-LE?

It's probably the best in the lot. My H4 got caught in Brazilian customs, and I have been waiting for months for it to be released. Now I am considering buying the Fostex or the Tascam. I had hopes on the MT II, but feedback from this forum is being terrible telling about it.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #194 on: January 25, 2008, 11:15:39 AM »
In reference to the FR-2LE
It's probably the best in the lot. My H4 got caught in Brazilian customs, and I have been waiting for months for it to be released. Now I am considering buying the Fostex or the Tascam. I had hopes on the MT II, but feedback from this forum is being terrible telling about it.

It is good to hear this.

I don't really like the MTII just because it uses rechargeable batteries and its too much money without XLR inputs. The reviews I've heard haven't been all that great either.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.192 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com