Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom H4  (Read 63920 times)

Offline joeshambro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taper turned professional FOH mixer
Re: Zoom H4
« Reply #165 on: October 28, 2006, 01:23:37 PM »
first tape i made with the H4:

http://www.archive.org/details/OAR102606

sbd + shure vp88 mix

Is this "line-in" joe?

yeah, actually went with XLR in.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #166 on: October 29, 2006, 10:03:18 AM »
A couple samples using the built-in preamp here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=74437.msg994833#msg994833

Seems like a mixed bag so far, and it would be interesting to get some recordings of really quiet source material to see how they do in a high gain situation.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #167 on: October 29, 2006, 12:04:40 PM »
I gave the Zoom its maiden voyage last night.  The Breakfast - with Ron's heavy bass.  Recorded at a small club.  Ran :    AKG 483 > Zoom H4, Low Gain, 16/44.1, no pad on the mics.  Results:  Brickwalling.   :-\

The H4 couldn't handle the unattenuated heavy bass from the 480s, which have a sensitivity of 20 mv.  So Test #1 failed. 

Test #2 will be Monday night when I run the AT853Rx > Zoom H4 for Ratdog.  Kenny's heavy bass should give me another solid test.  The AT853RX has a sensitivity of 7 mv and is 30 > 20K.  I'm also gonna try out the "Auto-Gain" function.  It works like a pad,from what I read.  If this next test fails, I can only think of in-line attenuators as the final solution for heavy bass shows.  If this test succeeds, then I'll try out the 480s with the -10 pad employed on the module.

I did run a backup rig: AT853RX (H) > Tascam HD-P2 for The Breakfast show.  The biggest difference so far, is the bass.  I'll be running 2 rigs again at Ratdog.

The good: 

1) Easy setup and go.  Records with no drop outs.
2) "Hold" mechanism works.
3) Phantom power easily handled the 480s. 
4) I haven't done a complete analysis of battery time, so I swapped batteries in between sets.  My original setting were kept by the Zoom, so I didn't have to re-create the settings.  I did jot down what I was set at, just in case.  But not needed.
5) ADC is pretty clean for a recorder this size. 

The bad:

1) It takes the Zoom about 20-25 seconds to power up.  A little too long if you're caught in a pinch.  Need to factor that in, if you are powered down in between sets and taking an extended break away from the gear.
2) When you format the card, the Zoom goes back to factory settings: on-board mic, 16/44.1 wav.

The ugly:

1) Brickwalling with high sensitive mics and heavy bass.  Bass sounded distorted when compared to the Tascam.  The Zoom does have a "Auto Gain" function that monitors the incoming sound and adjusts the gain so there is no distortion.  I'm gonna try that out too.  It the closest thing it has for any kind of pad.  Just like the Marantz 660, you'll need to deploy a pad.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 12:06:17 PM by spyder9 »

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #168 on: October 29, 2006, 01:07:42 PM »
I'm currently running the FFT Filter > Kill Mic Rumble on Adobe Audition 1.5.  It seems to do the job.  I'll post some mp3 results later.  I think I can salvage the AKG 483 recording.   :) 

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #169 on: October 29, 2006, 02:50:20 PM »
first tape i made with the H4:

http://www.archive.org/details/OAR102606

sbd + shure vp88 mix

Is this "line-in" joe?

yeah, actually went with XLR in.

does the zoom H4 do on the fly matrixes?
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #170 on: October 31, 2006, 10:56:15 AM »
Much better results last night at Ratdog.  Ran 24 bit, flawlessly.  I was FOB, about 25 rows back, DFC at the Smith Opera House in Geneva, NY.  Test #2 passed with AT853RX.  I'm sure it would've passed with the AKGs too, since Kenny's bass was not as over-the-top as Ron's bass (The Breakfast).  Opinion:  H4 is definitely thin and bright compared to the Tascam HDP2.  Samples will go up tomorrow via bit torrent.

Test #3: I'd like to do this Saturday, is run an Aerco or a PSP-2 in front of the Zoom at Trey Anastasio in Ithaca, NY.  I have each Pre available in the area to borrow, but I have to see if they aren't being used by the owners.  One thing that I like of the Zoom over the Edirols:  XLR line-in vs 1/8 line-in.  Much more secure connection and I bet lower noise.  Lets see if I can get a loaner.     

Offline vegas06

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #171 on: October 31, 2006, 02:43:53 PM »
One thing that I like of the Zoom over the Edirols:  XLR line-in vs 1/8 line-in.  Much more secure connection and I bet lower noise.  Lets see if I can get a loaner.     
I also like the fact that I can do aidio pass through, via the H4's "Line Out" 1/8 port.  So if I want I can take my audio as it's being recorded and send the same signal to my camera via wireless transmitter. The Microtrack could do this via the RCA's but it's not posssible with the R-09.  And to boot it seems that it your line out feed is post pre amp, so it's pretty darn quiet.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #172 on: October 31, 2006, 02:57:04 PM »
I also like the fact that I can do aidio pass through, via the H4's "Line Out" 1/8 port.

Is it true analog passthrough (input > output), or is it input > ADC > DAC > output?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline vegas06

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #173 on: October 31, 2006, 03:07:06 PM »
I also like the fact that I can do aidio pass through, via the H4's "Line Out" 1/8 port.

Is it true analog passthrough (input > output), or is it input > ADC > DAC > output?
I don't know the answer to that one, maybe someone else could elaborate.  All I know and care about it, is that it sounds pretty good to me.

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #174 on: November 07, 2006, 02:26:30 AM »
Here's a comp I did between the Tascam HD-P2 vs Zoom H4.  Give you an idea on the Preamp on this puppy.  This was a good test. 

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=74928.msg1000653#msg1000653

Offline Will_S

« Reply #175 on: November 11, 2006, 12:45:07 AM »
Made a recent recording of Dan Bern, quasi-acoustic.  It's quieter source material than the other Zoom H4 shows I've seen posted, so it might give some perspective on the preamp's performance in medium-volume situations.  Input sensitivity on M, input levels at 100. 

http://www.archive.org/details/dbern2006-11-09.U873Rc.flac16f

Dan Bern 11/9/06 The Attic - Santa Cruz, CA
AUD:  Audio Technica U873Rs (with AT853 cardioid capsules, ORTF, clamped to table 8' from stage, DFC) > Zoom H4 (24/44.1)
wav (24/44.1) peak normalized in Sound Studio 2.2.4, dithered (triangle) to 16 bit in Audacity 1.2.4, and tracked in Sound Studio 2.2.4, SBE fix and conversion to FLAC via xACT 1.4b28

Notes:
The Attic is indeed in the Attic of a building, with a dance club below.  A bit of the house music starts leaking through from midway through Joe Christ on.
Faint 60 hz buzz is from the PA, not the H4.

Offline Frosty

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #176 on: December 07, 2006, 03:13:41 PM »

I just picked up an H4 last night.  I've been doing "field recording" with the simple-to-use R-09 and I'm having a few user interface issues with the H4. 

I'd like to ask what others think of the lack of tactile feedback on the "record" button.  No real motion when the button is pressed on my H4 - almost like it was a touchpad and not a real button.  The H4 goes into record-pause and record OK, but the physical UI doesn't inspire confidence.  Also, the slider buttons on the side seem kinda stiff to move - but maybe that's a good thing to avoid accidental moves.

Offline Will_S

« Reply #177 on: December 14, 2006, 10:50:46 PM »
There's a new firmware update out, although it's not really necessary unless you record to MP3 or like to record sine waves onto your computer.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/news/news150/index.php

Still, it's nice to see the active support.  Aside from supporting >2 GB files I'm not sure what else I'd ask for in a firmware update.

Offline panicpilgrims

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #178 on: January 23, 2007, 05:59:43 PM »
Hey all - first time poster, long time lurker.

Just wonderin' how everyone likes their H4's, haven't seen anything for at least a month. 

So, I am thinking about getting one and some mics to go with it, and I was looking for some suggestions.  My situation would be live shows (Panic mostly) where I would want a very flexible, forgiving mic that would let me learn, but, if I got a good pull, could have quality-enough to share.  Looking to spend about $5-800 for the mic.  I know little about mics (except from the lineage in shows) so type slow, I might not get it right away  :laugh:.  Thanks for the info, advice, and awesome site.

Offline Will_S

« Reply #179 on: January 23, 2007, 07:40:42 PM »
Well, I'm pretty happy with my H4 for the price.  The mic pre may not compare to a kilobuck V3 but I think it does an ok job...you can judge for yourself based on many of the shows linked in my signature.  Note though that not all of my recordings were made with the H4.

As for mics...well maybe I'm just fluffing my own gear again but I think Audio Technica U873Rs merit consideration.  I'm not aware of any other tapers using them, but they are very similar to the very popular AT853s used by stealthers.  Except they are full sized mics with built in shock mounts, so mounting them to a stand is pretty easy and doesn't require bulky, expensive external shock mounts.  They also have interchangeable capsules, which you won't find in many other mics in their price range.  Cost is ~180 each, so your budget would leave plenty of room for a pair of U873Rs with the stock hypers (which probably would come in handy taping Panic from back in the section) and also a pair of cardioids or subcardioids for up close, and a stand and T-bar.  You can also hear several U873R-sourced shows on the link in my signature.

Of course, there are other good options in your price range.  I really like mics that offer interchangeable caps for flexibility, so I'd look into the Pelusos and the Oktavas as well.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com