Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Digital Camera suggestions needed  (Read 10460 times)

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Digital Camera suggestions needed
« on: June 24, 2005, 12:05:20 AM »
I have to get my wife a new digital camera tomorrow because I almost forgot our anniversary is Saturday. We've been using a Canon Powershot S50 for 2 years and she keeps complaining that it's too slow and alot of our shots turn out blurry. So I know a new camera will probably help soften the blow when I get some new toys in a couple months :)

Anyone have a model they can recommend?

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re: Digital Camera suggestions needed
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 12:52:47 AM »
You wanna stick with your typical digi camera? Or maybe go the Digital SLR route...which aren't slow and take killer pictures....I love my Canon Digital Rebel SLR
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline gewwang

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 01:05:34 AM »
Yeah, the typical compact digital camera that uses a compact flash card and USB output. My wife is the primary user so it has to be small enough for her purse.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 01:16:49 AM »
For more portable digi cameras I have had excellent luck with my Olympus C-50 which is outdated now.

Canon is excellent, and kodak makes some real nice cameras also.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline gewwang

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 01:28:39 AM »
george what's your budget?

Looking to spend about $500. I'm pretty much limited to Best Buy tomorrow since I only have one day to shop. Although, they've got a bunch of cameras 10% off online and I don't think they honor the online deals in the store so I might order one online and just email the link to my wife on Sat so she knows I didn't forget completely.

I like the Canon we have except for the slowness issue, never get any good in-action shots, just blurry pictures when I try. The Olympus looks interesting. We had nice results with our last non-digi camera which was an Olympus too.

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 01:46:29 AM »
I have an Olympus and love it.
:)
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline Just Taper Mark from NC

• when the bass kicks..all I need is a mic and a stage and mix.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Dodgertown 90090
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 02:43:56 AM »
I like my nikon 4200 as far as small easy digi cams go,has lots of options
and does a nice job,maybe when I get out from under home repairs i'll
get an slr but I can dream until then.
Positive vibration man.That's what makes it work.That's reggae music.You can't look away because it is real.You listen to what I sing because I mean what I sing,there's no secret,no big deal.,Just honesty,that's all."-Hon. Robert Nesta Marley 1977

Offline Andi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • New Rig Soon or Bust!
    • FOR YOUR VIEWING PLEASURE
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 03:22:56 AM »
I have to say that i love my Canon A80...Check out the pics here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=44853.0

The Canon A95 is the new version of the camera that i have and it adds lots of nice features.  One cool thing that i like is the fact that it takes AA batts.  The last time I took it out, the batteries ran dead. No problem.  You can find AA anywhere as opposed to having to recharge a Lith Ion. What if you can't find and AC outet or electrical source, this is not a worry if your camera uses a universal battery source.  There are a few other A80, A75 and A95 users on the board that will tell you that they love there Canon as well.

so with that said.....CANON A95 or even better the brand new Canon S2 is incredible and would still fit within your budget.  This cameras have all types of pre shooting subject modes and Manual Options to give your creativity a work out.

Levels Dance when the Music is Good!
Nakamichi CM-300 + CP-1, CP-2 >AD20 > JB3

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 06:53:12 AM »
Canon G6.  I'd love to pick one of these up for a point and shoot.....guess I'll have to use my 20D instead till then. ;D
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline rhett

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 07:10:22 AM »
i just bought the new canon 5 MP power shot, 12x optical zoom, lots of nice features.  It is still a digital and the SLRs are nicer, but this is relatievly compact......

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 08:31:58 AM »
check out www.dpreview.com

They feature in-depth reviews and test shots with each camera they review so you can get an idea of how good the picture quality is.

SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Kevin McF

• Taperssection Member
  • wannabe taper
    • db.etree.org/kevinmcfaul
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 08:36:00 AM »
i have an pentax optio S40 and i love it

kev

Offline gewwang

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 09:16:32 AM »
I have to say that i love my Canon A80...Check out the pics here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=44853.0

Stunning pics. +T's around

Offline rocksuitcase

• RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 09:31:53 AM »
Gewang,
Olympus makes some amazing cameras in your price range.  I own a C-740 camedia which was a gift but sold for about $499 two years ago.  the main thing I like  is that it has a 10X optical zoom.  It has a  lot of ramge but doesn't go higher than 400 ISO.  My buddy owns an Olympus as well and really likes it.  IMO, megapixels are not as important as high optical zoom.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 09:43:21 AM »
Gewang,
Olympus makes some amazing cameras in your price range.  I own a C-740 camedia which was a gift but sold for about $499 two years ago.  the main thing I like  is that it has a 10X optical zoom.  It has a  lot of ramge but doesn't go higher than 400 ISO.  My buddy owns an Olympus as well and really likes it.  IMO, megapixels are not as important as high optical zoom.

i generally agree that optical zoom is a very important factor, but i personally would not buy a camera with less than 4 mpix these days and would shoot higher.  additional resolution gives you better detail and if you want to do some cropping in post, you get extra room to do so.  I personally like canon's digital cameras, I'm on my 4th (digital elph, digirebel, 10d and now 20d).  the canon Digic processing chip is excellent.  if you can get one with the Digic II chip you are doing well.

this looks like your best choice at $500, but may be a little big:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=DITM2K1K1VYIBKC4D3EFAFI?skuId=7175353&type=product&productCategoryId=cat15146&id=1110266874825

it has a 5.0 mpix digic II chip with a 12x optical zoom and image stabilization.  numerous advanced modes if you want to go beyond just point and shoot operation. 

there are some 7 mpix cameras on the market now.  the additional size of these photos may be too much to deal with and lead to more expensive media cards, etc.  However, you can always choose to set a lower resolution (try not to use the higher compression though, you will get artifacts).  that canon i linked to has a much better lens than your typical p&s.  it has a usb 2.0 interface which is nice for transferring pics if you don't have a dedicated reader.

if you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com