Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Old Camera Transfer to Computer?  (Read 3662 times)

Offline NslMatt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Old Camera Transfer to Computer?
« on: October 12, 2005, 11:45:26 AM »
Hey guys. Along with my attempts to record some of my friends live shows, I would like to video tape them. All I have is an old video camera... not too old, but uses videos rather than DVD's. Is there any way to transfer the tapes to computer? Also, what program would I use to do so? Finally, what program could I use to synch my audio recording and my video recordings together? Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!  :D

Offline sabre

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Old Camera Transfer to Computer?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 01:02:49 AM »
l I have is an old video camera... not too old, but uses videos rather than DVD's. Is there any way to transfer the tapes to computer?
What sort of tapes does your camera use? miniDV, Digital8, Hi-8, Video8? If your camera uses miniDV or Digital8 then it's going to be very easy to transfer the footage to a computer. All you'll need is a firewire cable and a firewire port on your computer.
If you don't know what tapes you're using then provide us with the model number of your video camera and we'll be able to figure it out.

Offline NslMatt

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 10:02:03 AM »
I am not sure if it is digital or analog. I haven't used it in a while, but I know it uses like the small version of VHS. If that is of any help to you. I know the camera came with a cord that you can plug into a computer and I am pretty sure with the software it came with, you can use it similarly to a webcam. I will give ya more info when I get home. Thanks for taking the time and hopefully you can help me out. The one thing I am definitely going to need is a program to synch audio w/ video... do you know any good programs to do that?

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 12:13:25 PM »
Sounds like Hi-8 to me... Here are some work arounds.

If its Digital Hi-8
Plug it into your computer, I prefer firewire but some work with usb2.  Open up a capturing software.  I like Vegas the best.  Usually it says import.  A screen opens up, press play on the camera and it will record in real time.

If its regular Hi-8
1. See if you know someone that has a digital Hi-8 camera and put your tape in that and follow the above steps.
2. Get a dazzle and just run rca outs.

On your non-linear video editing software, try to find a part where there is a solid drum beat and synch it there.  It is really hard, imo, to do this w/ a time code.
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline NslMatt

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 08:13:50 PM »
Thanks, I will check all that out. The artist I plan to record is an acoustic singer/ songwriter and dunno if that will make it harder or easier to synch the audio. But I appreciate the help. I will look into programs and whatnot. I might have a program that I can capture with already, so I'll try that.

Offline NslMatt

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 08:30:36 PM »
Does anyone know if there is an adapter where I could plug my AV cord into a USB port? I have an AV out port on my camcorder and I figure if I could plug it into a USB port with an adaptor on my laptop, I could just record like that. Anyone know of anything like that?

*Edit*- And also, my camcorder is a Panasonic PV-L858 and it says Photoshot Palmcorder VHSC
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 08:35:53 PM by NslMatt »

Offline jbraveman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 12:41:17 PM »
It sounds like you'll need an external video capture device which will digitize the video. 

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 01:50:50 PM »
Does anyone know if there is an adapter where I could plug my AV cord into a USB port? I have an AV out port on my camcorder and I figure if I could plug it into a USB port with an adaptor on my laptop, I could just record like that. Anyone know of anything like that?

*Edit*- And also, my camcorder is a Panasonic PV-L858 and it says Photoshot Palmcorder VHSC
something like this is what you want
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=306786&pfp=SEARCH
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline NslMatt

• Taperssection Regular

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com