Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic Stand extenstion using Camera/Video rig 15mm Bar and adapters  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
There are lots of uses for the 15mm bars in photography/video rigs for lights, Camera Mounts with handgrips and V Mount battery (+180WH) packs as counter weights to the camera...I was interested in extending the height of my Lowel UN-55 (a heavier taller but similar version of the compact Manfrotto 5001B Nano Light Stand).

On eBay I picked up the following items:
1 set of 8" 15mm Aluminum rods
Set of M12 Connectors for 15mm Rod
And a set of M12 to 1/4 20 UNC Adapters

My Lowel Stand has a threaded 1/4 20UNC on the top that the extension bar is threaded into

Extension Mounted on Stand

Comparison with my Manfrotto 3078 13ft stand...foot print almost the same diameter for both
stands...top of Lowel with extension is 9ft in this photo.

Comparison of Lowel + extension and Manfrotto collapsed...I'm loving it

I feel the 1/4 UNC thread will prevent me from using this horizontally in a clamping situation & I'm not gonna be putting any Stereo Large Diameter Microphone Rigs on the small setup...

The extension breaks down and fits in my bag...mounted on the Lowel UN-55 this a good compromise on strength and height for just about any situation I'd feel comfortable running my NBob M21 Gefells and Milab VM44 Links with stereo bars on it...

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Mic Stand extenstion using Camera/Video rig 15mm Bar and adapters
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 05:48:35 PM »
I've been doing something similar in situations where I want to minimize the overall size of the stand I am bringing or when I might need to clamp but I'm not sure..

I carry a Lowel UN-55 and Matthews Telescopic Baby Stand Extension w/ Manfrotto 649 Clamp. Taped together, they are slightly longer than the  UN-55. If I dont need to clamp, I combine the extension and the UN-55. It goes up to ~11 feet and is fine for my active setup...
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
Re: Mic Stand extenstion using Camera/Video rig 15mm Bar and adapters
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 07:47:48 PM »
I have both half and full Lowel poles with the same Manfrotto Speed clamp and Super clamp that would be in the car just in case. But, was afraid to run the pole on the UN-55.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com