Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pmd661mklll dig input issue  (Read 9606 times)

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Pmd661mklll dig input issue
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2019, 12:47:21 PM »
I bought Ed's MKIII not for the digital input but something entirely different.

But, this had me wondering, why have a variable level control for a digital input?  Who records that way?  And what kind of AD would send a signal that needs adjustment at the recorder position?  I'm assuming all level adjustments were done at the pre stage.
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2019, 01:36:32 PM »
I bought Ed's MKIII not for the digital input but something entirely different.

But, this had me wondering, why have a variable level control for a digital input?  Who records that way?  And what kind of AD would send a signal that needs adjustment at the recorder position?  I'm assuming all level adjustments were done at the pre stage.

It's a great field recorder, i did a few recordings digi-in to see what the problem is?
Mine sounded great....but they probably arent bit perfect from the source, oh well

I still have one and i use it!
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2020, 05:32:45 AM »
The person I had corresponded with before has left the company, but my renewed request has reportedly been sent "to the product team for review". In the meantime, see http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=192871.msg2322775#msg2322775 , which is very interesting.

I just did a bit of testing with the recorder set for automatic level control, which is something I would otherwise never have thought of doing. I fed signals into its digital input, and if I moved the record level controls, a sign came up on the screen saying "ALC" and the rec level controls had no effect whatsoever (which goes along with what I expected based on DATBRAD's message). I could turn them all the way up or all the way down; they were clearly out of the circuit (or the logic flow).

However, I didn't see or hear any actual ALC action from the recorder. I sent a set of overload-y signals in--repeatedly blowing into a mike that was connected to another recorder, whose digital output I fed into the Marantz--but there was no audible reduction in gain, and the meters registered similarly before, during and after the overloads.

So that's rather strange--but I think it might mean that the ALC setting, while not providing ALC, might provide 1:1 "bit bucket" capability. I can test for that, but it would take another hour's work or thereabouts, and right now I'm only awake temporarily (I hope) during a bout of insomnia, so I'll do that some other time.

--best regards
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 06:12:58 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2022, 11:49:09 AM »

Old thread but here I am. I picked up a refurb 661 MKIII for super cheap. Tested it out and much to my surprise the level knobs are controlling the SPDIF input.

Did anyone figure out what "unity gain" setting on the level knobs is using digital in? Seems to be near the top of the range just from guessing. Does using ALC take the level controls out of play? I have never used Auto level control for anything ever so just setting that makes me cringe but I suspect that is it - just haven't tested it yet.

I'll use it as it is not a huge deal to me I was just really surprised. I've never had a recorder that had level control when using digital input.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2022, 03:06:12 PM »
Does using ALC take the level controls out of play? I have never used Auto level control for anything ever so just setting that makes me cringe but I suspect that is it - just haven't tested it yet.

Reads like that's the case, even though it's counter-intuitive.
I suspect "traditional operation" will require switching ALC on when recording via the digital input (as it locks out manual adjustment, while performing no automatic digital level adjustment), and switching ALC back off again when using the analog inputs.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com