Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland R-26 - initial review  (Read 35426 times)

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Roland R-26 - initial review
« on: May 08, 2012, 03:30:50 AM »
I don't see anybody else here using the R26 and I was quite surprised at how little interest there was amongst tapers. Yes, it would have been better to get rid of some/all the internals and provide more mic/line inputs, but it is what it is. Well, it looks like I'm the guinea pig here, and so far, a very happy guinea pig. I finally decided to buy the R26 for the XLR's (with P48) and the 4-channel possibilities with a 1/8" plug in stereo mic, and the apparent ease to change levels for both pairs of mics on the fly. I won't use (or very much doubt I will use) the internals, so I'm never going to realise the 6 channels, but 4 channels is enough for me. I also went for the R26 after reading favourable reviews of the preamps which are apparently at least on a par with the R44 preamps. The recorder only arrived a few days ago so I have not had chance to exhaustively review it but I will tell you what I can.

Size? Yes it's a bit on the chunky side, and certainly bigger than I am used to (R09HR), but still stealthable. For 4 or 6 channels with XLR input and phantom power the size is actually quite remarkable.

I had 2 concerns prior to buyng the recorder: (i) the dual hold/power switch; and (ii) the hold switch does not disengage the level dials. My initial concern re the dual power/hold switch was allayed prior to purchase when I read the manual in detail from which it is stated that it is not possible to accidently power the unit off (whilst trying to engage 'hold') when in recording mode. I have tested this for myself and can confirm that it is NOT possible to accidently power down the unit whilst recording if you push the hold button the wrong way. That's a huge relief (although a daft design in the first place). My other initial concern was that the hold function does not lock the record level dials. That is still the case. This seems to be a common feature of a lot of new recorders now e.g. Sony M10, Tascam DR100Mkii, Olympus LS100 etc. I am resigned to taping these dials down for peace of mind during a show, but having finally got hold of the unit I can say it would be difficult (but not impossible) to accidently nudge these during a show.

The R26 uses a touch screen, and whilst I am not used to a touch screen phone, I found it very easy and intuitive to use. All the record settings you need to make on the touch screen would be made before the show, i.e. no. of channels, no. of mics, mic source(s), phantom power, mic sensitivity(s), bit depth, sample rate etc. Once these are all dialled in before the show, you don't need to use the touch screen again, the only thing to adjust at the show (after plugging the mics in and pressing the 'record/rec pause' button) would be the input level via the 2 level dials. When working in 4 channels (or 2 channels with independent left and right XLR input) these 2 level dials are very easy to adjust independently with each being clearly labelled and concurrently visible on the large screen so that there's no need to toggle or switch over in menus from one to the other.

The range on the input level dials is from 0 to 100, I haven't yet worked out where unity setting is. I'm going to start off at about 35 at my first show (with mic sensitivity on the lowest setting) and take it from there.  You can set the sensitivity of all the input microphones separately. For the XLR's, there is a huge range in sensitivity calibrated in 12 stages from +4dBu to -62dBu. The plug in mics can be set to low/med/high sensitivity, as can the internals (both omni and cards).

Whilst I have not tested the recorder in a concert environment yet, the preamps have been tested by www.avisoft.com. They report equivalent self-noise A-weighted of -124dBu for the R26 XLR analog in. This compares favourably with most of the listed recorders regarded as 'competition', although obviously the R26 is not in the same league (or price bracket) as SD722 / FR-2LE / DR680 / Marantz 671 etc etc.

I have however had the chance to carry out some power tests at home. The unit uses 4 x AA's and the manual says it is good for 10 hours when recording at 16/44 using the internals (with phantom power off). So I was expecting a realistic record time of around 3-4 hours with thirsty external mics with P48 on and at a higher resolution such as 24/96. How wrong I was - very impressive results. For the initial tests (2-channel, phantom power on) I used 2 x Nevaton MCE-400's with XLR (rated current draw 10mA each mic), 2-channel analog XLR-in, P48 on, recording 24 bit at 96kHz on to a SanDisk 32GB SDHC (Class 4) card. The results were as follows:
(a) 4 x Energizer Ultimate Lithiums - maximum record time = >9 hrs 5 mins - the batteries were not fully drained, but were down to 1 bar and would have died soon
(b) 4 x Energizer Rechargeable 2300mAh Ni-Mh, charged, discharged, charged, tested (capacities measured 2410/2340/2380/2380mAH) - maximum record time = 6 hrs 20 mins.
I then did a further test on a 4-channel 24/96 recording set-up going analog in with 2 x XLR's with P48 (as above) and line-in with a pair of CA-14>preamp>line in (plug-in-power off). The maximum record time in that 4-channel test with the Energizer 2300mAh Ni-Mh rechargeables was = 5 hrs 50 mins.

There is not much difference between the 2 and 4-channel set up with the rechargeables, presumably because phantom power is by far the dominant factor and present in both tests. Given that I got over 9 hours with Enegizer Ultimate Lithiums on 2-channel P48, I'm guessing I would get at least 8 hours on a 4-channel P48 recording with the same batteries. I might sacrifice another pack of batteries to confirm this.

These record times with phantom power in 2 or 4-channel mode are very impressive to my mind. This gives me the comfort to easily record the opening band and a 2 hour main act without any juice worries whatsoever. Also, this easily extends into festivals where a simple change of AA batteries could be made at some appropriate point during the day. 

From what I've seen so far, and read on other reviews (lack of digital-in aside which is not a concern for me) at this price the R26 gets the better of most, if not all, XLR-P48 handhelds in its class in terms of number of channels, battery life and probably preamp quality too.  So far so good and I am really looking forward to testing this out for real later this month!

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: Roland R-26 - initial review
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 12:03:08 PM »
Nice beginning report, thanks!  ;D
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 06:22:25 PM »
Nice to hear you are enjoying it! The touch screen is an interesting idea and it will probably be fine for a lot of tapers uses. In fact changing settings on touch screen devices may be faster since you don't have to navigate with a cursor/marker like on most recorders.
The m10 hold switch doubles as power switch so its never been an issue. Do you think the r26 switch has some resistance behind it? Also, I'd rather have a hold switch that I can tape down than NO hold switch.
Do you know the the r26 hold switch provide a partial hold like the pmd661 or does it lock everything down?

thanks for the review!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 03:15:41 AM »
Nice to hear you are enjoying it! The touch screen is an interesting idea and it will probably be fine for a lot of tapers uses. In fact changing settings on touch screen devices may be faster since you don't have to navigate with a cursor/marker like on most recorders.
The m10 hold switch doubles as power switch so its never been an issue. Do you think the r26 switch has some resistance behind it? Also, I'd rather have a hold switch that I can tape down than NO hold switch.
Do you know the the r26 hold switch provide a partial hold like the pmd661 or does it lock everything down?

thanks for the review!

When you say 'resistance', do you mean resistance to pressing one way rather than the other? If so, then yes, if you push the switch towards 'power on/off' then there is resistance and you have to press it in for 2-3 secs for power to come on/off. If you push the opposite way it is easier and engages 'hold'. It seems to lock everything except the level dials. I have tried to stop, power off and change settings on the menu but the hold has always prevented this.

Offline kenyee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 10:02:46 AM »
Thanks....been waiting for a review of it for a while.
Only thing that I wonder about is the cost....i.e., for the cost, you can get a Tascam DR100mkII (for XLR recording) and the DR-40 (for mics) to get 4 channel recording...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:12:07 AM by kenyee »

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 10:42:26 AM »
Thanks....been waiting for a review of it for a while.
Only thing that I wonder about is the cost....i.e., for the cost, you can get a Tascam DR100mkII (for XLR recording) and the DR-40 (for mics) to get 4 channel recording...

It probably depends where you live. You can get the R26 for £350 in the UK. It would cost me about £130 for a DR-40 and £240 for a DR100mkii. The situation is probably different in the US.

But I would say that with the R26 the battery life is better than reported on Tapersection for either of the Tascams (significantly better than the DR100mkii) and the preamps are also better than the DR-40 and the DR100mkii (according to the www.avisoft.com tests), plus of course it is a 4-track all in one, not 2 decks. I think the R26 is about 1 inch taller than both of the Tascams.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:00:39 AM by yates7592 »

Offline ianmacd

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 07:56:54 PM »
Thanks for the write-up.

I was planning to buy a the DR-100 MK II, but am beginning to get cold feet now, after hearing about that unit's battery issues.

I've been very happy with the R-09HR and the R-26 looks like it could be a very nice unit for phantom power.

I'll have to do some more reading. If it's not this, it'll probably be a Marantz PMD661, but that's a lot more expensive and has been on the market longer, so it might be replaced before long.

Anyway, thanks again.
Factory-matched Schoeps CCM 41V microphones -> Marantz PMD661 recorder with Oade Concert Mod
Factory-matched DPA 4060 microphones -> DPA MMA6000 amplifier -> Edirol R-09HR

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 03:41:51 AM »
I did another test with a fresh pack of Eneloops XX 2500mAh rechargeables (charged/discharged several times, ave. power 2600mAh-2700mAh), 2-channel on P48 phantom power with the Nevatons - got over 7 hours....

Offline climbingbear

• Taperssection Newbie
  • shut up & DANce
    • my recordings on lma:
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 09:58:59 PM »
i just completed an online purchase of one of these edirol r-26's.  after reading this review and wanting a multitrack recorder for a while, im super psyched for its arrival.

ive been running an r-09 since spring of 2006.  the r-09 is the only recorder ive owned--  & in the past 6 years ive beat it up pretty good and it still works like new.
im looking forward to taping a weekend festival this week, with the r-26.

anyone else have experiance working with this recorder?  any advice?
minimalism - its the least you can do.

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 03:15:51 AM »
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have only run mine once using 2-channel so far. It worked very well. I was using Nevatons with XLR's and P48 with rechargeables. I taped a 2 hour show onto the Sandisk 32gB card and it worked flawlessly, consecutive files are seamless. My levels were around 40 with reasonably loud music and it came out a bit quiet (peak around -19dB). Next time I am going to go for 50 on the analog in. In fact I'm doing a 4-channel set up this weekend with line-in so will report back. The line-in is hotter than the analog-in so I will set the line-in levels lower, maybe 40.

BTW there is a firmware revision on the Roland site that now allows you to set the analog input levels separately on both channels when using 4 or 6 channels.

runonce

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 08:12:09 AM »
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have only run mine once using 2-channel so far. It worked very well. I was using Nevatons with XLR's and P48 with rechargeables. I taped a 2 hour show onto the Sandisk 32gB card and it worked flawlessly, consecutive files are seamless. My levels were around 40 with reasonably loud music and it came out a bit quiet (peak around -19dB). Next time I am going to go for 50 on the analog in. In fact I'm doing a 4-channel set up this weekend with line-in so will report back. The line-in is hotter than the analog-in so I will set the line-in levels lower, maybe 40.

BTW there is a firmware revision on the Roland site that now allows you to set the analog input levels separately on both channels when using 4 or 6 channels.

Ok - now Im confused - are  you tracking on the fly? (consecutive files seamless?)

Also - "The line-in is hotter than the analog-in" - Not sure how to reconcile that one? Line In IS analog in...(as is mic in)

-19 is a bit low...I think a lot 24 bit guys like -6

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 08:24:24 AM »
Yes, I'm talking about consecutive 2GB files being seamless.

Re 'hotter', probably the worng term. The maximum input for the XLR 'analog' is +24dBu. The max input for the plug-in mic input is +4dBu.

Yes -19dB is too low, so I will up the input level next time. I usually shoot for about -10dB. Depends what mics you are using though.

runonce

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 08:49:47 AM »
Yes, I'm talking about consecutive 2GB files being seamless.

Re 'hotter', probably the worng term. The maximum input for the XLR 'analog' is +24dBu. The max input for the plug-in mic input is +4dBu.

Yes -19dB is too low, so I will up the input level next time. I usually shoot for about -10dB. Depends what mics you are using though.

Is 2GB the biggest file it can record?

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 10:44:49 AM »
Yes, that's the same as the majority of recorders. But of course you can record as many consecutive 2GB files as your SDHC card will hold. I'm using a 32GB SanDisc (which works great with the R-26).

Offline climbingbear

• Taperssection Newbie
  • shut up & DANce
    • my recordings on lma:
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 12:18:43 AM »
i really want to know how recording on the fly with all six tracks goes.  i figuring, 1 external stereo mic(2 channel), stereo sbd lines (2 channel xlr lines) & 1 stereo internal mics(2 channel).  i hope its easy to match up to get a great matrix sound.     im sure i'll be asking how to matrix this type of set up in some later posts.
minimalism - its the least you can do.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com