Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audio to Arri Alexa question  (Read 4723 times)

Offline holbrookjustin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Audio to Arri Alexa question
« on: April 22, 2014, 08:10:15 PM »
Hey folks. First post here (although I've been reading anonymously for a little bit now). This may not be the best forum for this question, but figure I'll give it a shot.

I'm working on a video shoot that's kind of a mix of high level pro and entry/mid level equipment and expertise. We're shooting with an Arri Alexa, and recording audio to a Tascam DR-680 via a Sound Devices MixPre. Syncing to timecode is out of the question because of the DR-680, so we're wanting to send an audio scratch track to the Alexa in the form of an audio feed out of either the MixPre or 680 via a Sennheiser ew 100 G3 / SK 100 wireless transmitter located on the sound guy, to a corresponding EK 100 receiver on the Alexa, and into the Alexa's 5-pin XLR connection.

The question I have is regarding the 5-pin XLR cable into the Alexa. The output of the EK 100 is a 1/8" stereo, so I'm wondering about the best cable configuration to make this happen. I'm running only a signal shotgun mic, so don't need the 5-pin XLR's stereo capabilities, but DO need the 5-pin connection. I currently have a 1/8" to 3-pin XLR cable, which I obviously can't use alone.

One thought: use a 3-pin XLR female to 5-pin XLR male that would sit between the existing 1/8" to 3-pin XLR male cable I already have. Anyone know if this would be successful in sending signal to one of the channels?

Another thought (if the above doesn't work): use a 5-pin XLR male to a (2) 3-pin XLR female Y cable, plug in my existing 3-pin XLR male to one of them, and simply disregard the second XLR connector.

Hope that all makes sense.

Any thoughts? Again, I just need it for a scratch track so we can making syncing in post easier.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
Re: Audio to Arri Alexa question
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 09:49:13 PM »
Timecode is an audio signal, got a spare channel?
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline holbrookjustin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 11:32:48 PM »
Timecode is an audio signal, got a spare channel?

Yes, I do have a spare channel. What would be the best way to get it to the spare channel (without being physically tethered to the Alexa), and how would we utilize it in post to sync?

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 11:55:47 PM »
Professional video production software will read the timecode from your audio file and sync it to the video.

As to how to get it there? Wireless transmitter in the other direction.

So you would take the TC out (5 pin lemo) use an adapter to go to XLR (haven't read manual, but with 5 pins you're most likely looking at balanced audio signal) and then send it via wireless to the 680

Offline holbrookjustin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 12:58:32 AM »
Professional video production software will read the timecode from your audio file and sync it to the video.

So you would take the TC out (5 pin lemo) use an adapter to go to XLR (haven't read manual, but with 5 pins you're most likely looking at balanced audio signal) and then send it via wireless to the 680

Would this solution be more effective than sending audio out from the MixPre or 680 to the Alexa as a reference / scratch track, slating, and then syncing with PluralEyes after the fact? I have a guy in town who can make me the cable I'd need for this (I really should learn to make my own—I've only done it twice), and my editor is excited about the ease syncing this path presents. Now that I've secured a source for the cable, I guess I'm inclined to go this route. Unless I should reconsider—if recording timecode to a free audio track is significantly superior?

Offline holbrookjustin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 01:08:13 AM »

I guess what I'd actually do is get a 5 pin lemo to a 1/8" cable (something like http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/751715-REG/Remote_Audio_CATCIPL_5_pin_Lemo_to_1_8.html) to connect the Alexa's TC output to the Sennheiser transmitter's input… and then on my end, plug the Sennheiser receiver into a free channel—just as normal.

So from a syncing in post perspective, same question as my last message—would this approach offer a clear advantage over sending audio to the Alexa as a scratch track, and syncing with PluralEyes?

Thanks!

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 01:15:30 AM »
I'd present both options to the editor and see which they prefer.

While I know the technical side, I don't have field experience with this setup.

I work for a production company that does live switching and projection for corporate events. We have the luxury of distributed sync, timecode, wired connections, etc. Then again our small HD system  is 2) 32 rack unit ATA racks and a workbox.

Offline holbrookjustin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 01:30:27 AM »
I'd present both options to the editor and see which they prefer.

While I know the technical side, I don't have field experience with this setup.

I work for a production company that does live switching and projection for corporate events. We have the luxury of distributed sync, timecode, wired connections, etc. Then again our small HD system  is 2) 32 rack unit ATA racks and a workbox.

Thanks. I'm going to have a chat with the editor tomorrow. I appreciate your input.

I work at a digital agency that is taking big steps to producing content in house. We've produced a few short films, but hired a sound guy in each instance. This is the first time we're undertaking that role ourselves. We hired the same DP who shot our first two projects, and our Director works with me here and sits just down the way. Since I have a background in TV/video/audio production, I'm handling audio. I've inherited some equipment that will work, but isn't quite ideal. I've put in a request to upgrade our setup to a more robust professional solution if we're going to keep going down this path, so we'll see! It's always the budget that gets in the way! For now we're making due with what we have. It's not perfect, but it'll get the job done and be great in the end. I just want us to be able to step up a bit.

Again, thanks so much for your help.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 01:43:02 AM »
XLR question, again haven't read the camera docs, but.

5 pin XLR to 3 pin XLR will work pin 1. ground, pin 2 and 3 for balanced audio.
5 pin XLR to 2) 3 pin XLR will also work, and be more flexible when you change mic options. (lav mic on subject and interviewer)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com