Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nagra ARES-ML4 digital recorder  (Read 11058 times)

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
Re: Nagra ARES-ML4 digital recorder
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 03:06:51 PM »
460's damn it!   ;D
oops wrong thread.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 03:14:21 PM »
460's damn it!   ;D
oops wrong thread.

Well at least in this thread you aren't biased one way or another like in the 460/390 thread.   Nor has anyone asked for a recommendation for something within a budget.

Just sayin'     ;D

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 03:24:45 PM »
Stubborn like you.
Just sayin'   ;)
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 03:30:20 PM »
I don't understand why the Aaton Cantar-X is never brought up when we discuss professional equipment. its European so it should at least be as good as the Nagra.

http://www.aaton.com/products/sound/cantar/index.php
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 03:40:01 PM »
I don't understand why the Aaton Cantar-X is never brought up when we discuss professional equipment. its European so it should at least be as good as the Nagra.

http://www.aaton.com/products/sound/cantar/index.php

It's been brought up many times when the higher end pro gear is discussed.   It's $14k price tag limits the number of owners around these parts though.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 03:50:44 PM »
I've seen it brought up a couple times. good to know its not being neglected. ;)

Yeah, the high price will limit the number of us tapers who own it considering for that price, you could get A FEW sound devices units. I was bringing it up because its 'professional'. surly the european market uses it to record radio programs, eh?

and I have seen anything from cell phones, $60 recorders, mini disc recorders, Marantz 660, etc used by news reporters to do their story.
I think the tech staff of radio shows/news programs has to keep the technology relatively simple so the reporters will actually know how to use it.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline duch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • dammit !
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 04:27:36 PM »
The Cantar-X is mostly aimed at movie and TV markets (10.000 BC, Harry Potter V, Desperate Housewives, Broken Flowers to name a few), and is quite out of topic for taping or radio work. It is also heavy, 4.6 Kg with his two batteries (10 lbs 6 oz.). That's even heavier than a PD606 or a Deva.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 04:50:27 PM »
not sure how the weight makes a difference as almost all the photos show people wearing it in a harness. they are able to carry it, wear headphones, and use a boom. most people here don't have their sound devices, dr680, r44 in harnesses while recording music.
since the cantar-x is a SOUND RECORDER, it still applies to a site/forum dedicated to audio recording.

Offline duch

• Taperssection Newbie
  • dammit !
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 05:06:35 PM »
As you said, for the price of a single Cantar you could buy a few SD unit, or SD with mics, pres, AD, power, booms, clamps, headphones etc. Most of this stuff will be more usefull for taping than a single, "naked", Cantar. Anyway if you got the money and want to own one of those recording jewels, do not hesitate ! Even just operating it is a pleasure, a bit like older Nagra units. It's incredibly well thought and well designed from A to Z.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 11:47:02 PM by duch »

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 08:02:57 PM »
Emailed a Nagra dealer today and was quoted $7872 for a Nagra VI.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 12:26:07 PM »
Ahh John I should have expected a response from you.  You certainly do or die with the Nagra and Rycote products.  Do you get a commission from them?

No, I just like them.

I know sometimes I go a bit OTT on the Rycote, but that's because I'm so knocked out by the engineering that makes a far better shockmount at a far lower price.

1. I am in the US.  I see quite a good number of reporters using cassette recorders still. Lots and lots of reporters, bloggers and the like still making shit for money so a Nagra for an interview isn't happening. Heck in last night's post World Series interviews I saw two reporters using the built-in mics of an iPhone.

I am in the UK - mostly here cassette went years ago.  If the money is tight, then they tend to use the small inexpensive hand-held flash recorders with built-in mics..

2. The LB is at least 20% - 40% higher than any comparable SD unit.  That statement from you is just wrong.

No, I am not wrong - In the UK the LB is £1,600 and the 702 is about £1,800.

3. Yes the Nagra VI is cheaper than the 788 but with four less usable channels.  Best mic pres in a portable?   I'm thinking the Zaxcom and Aaton folks will have a slight disagreement with you on that one.  Quality wise I think the Fostex and the aforementioned Zaxcom boxes would very much beg to differ.

I didn't say the others were bad, just that I consider the Nagra he best.  From what I have seen of the Zaxcom, I would never use one, whatever the price.  The Aaton Cantar and Sound Devices I like very much; but the Cantar is double the price of the Nagra VI and the 788T, although it does have lots of great things about it, was not quite the machine for me.

4. 100% my opinion no doubt.  Since I don't have the strong attachment that you do to the Nagra gear I tend to think my opinion is based on looking at the facts of the matter without prejudice towards any one brand.  While I own a SD box I certainly don't think they are the only or best tree in the forest.   For the price of the Nagra VI I don't think there is much of a competition when compared to the Fostex PD606.  Not one spec of the Nagra appears to be more favorable than the comparably priced Fostex.  I was able to fiddle with a PD606 a couple of months ago and came away very impressed with it as an example.

I looked at several machines before buying the Nagra.  What won me over was the ergonomics and sound quality and I put that ahead of other things.  When I bought the Nagra, the SD was way behind, though upgrades have improved it vastly since I made my decision.  The Fostex was not the machine for me, not out when I bought the Nagra and I have not looked closely at that one.  I am the sort of person that, if I really like something I tend to talk about it.  That's all, you are reading too much into it.

As for my last statement John:

While Nagra has been around a long time in this business I just find it hard to believe that they're not just resting on their legacy when it comes to current products.   What we do here for the most part makes the Aaton's, Deva's and the like overkill I still can't help but wonder who would choose one of current Nagra products when compared to their competitors at similar price ranges and feature sets. 5 to 10 years ago maybe but in 2010?  No thanks.

Other than being on the Nagra payroll :) where do you see the current Nagra lineup beating the competition?   If you want to compare by price points the Nagra's seem to lack comparible features to others at the same price point.  If you want to compare feature sets then again Nagra is behind to similar competition.  Then the ergonomics?  Well again there i'm having trouble finding Nagra above the competition.   I don't think Nagra makes junk or are a bad company I just think that currently the competition from the lower, same and higher price points are ahead of the Nagra product line.   If you set the Kool-Aid down for a second and looks at the specs, reviews and experiences of all of these products I can't fathom how you think the Nagra's are the clear winners but I am certainly willing to be convinced if possible.

For my purposes the Nagra clearly beats the competition, or I would have bought one of them.  For film use on the run the 788T seems to be the winner, for other purposes some people choose the Cantar.  I am recording classical music and want a machine without any compromise in the sound quality and the Nagra does that for me better than the others.  And others agree, there are quite a few people doing the same sort of recording that I do and have chosen the Nagra VI above all the others.  And I'm *not* on Nagra's payroll at all!

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 12:34:13 PM »
Thanks for the response John.  Much appreciated.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 03:36:05 PM »
2. The LB is at least 20% - 40% higher than any comparable SD unit.  That statement from you is just wrong.

No, I am not wrong - In the UK the LB is £1,600 and the 702 is about £1,800.

You both are correct, from what I have always thought on this subject; it boils down to where you are. Folks in the US get SD boxes cheaper, while Nagra boxes have been comparable or cheaper in the Europe. I'm guessing it's import duties and stuff like that.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com