Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V-3 Remote Power 2013  (Read 28172 times)

Offline drchen

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Love this community!
Re: V-3 Remote Power 2013
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2013, 07:52:13 PM »
I stand corrected.  I guess its designed to be robust enough to handle it and it sheds off the extra voltage as heat.
Capturing live musical moments in time:-)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2013, 01:47:50 PM »
Yep, it's a little warmer than when I ran it off a 6V SLA, but works just fine

Grace has always said that you can run a 6V v2 or v3 off of 12v just fine. They just run warmer that way

Offline jdmatt68

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2013, 10:19:55 AM »
good to know.  i run the v2 at 7.5 volts with the tekkeon, and the battery doesn't get as hot...  may just use the naztech for 12v recorders for now.
mics: busman bsc1/k1,k2,k3 & bsc2/k11, k21, k31; neumann km184
pre: lunatec V2 and V3
recorder: sound devices 702, marantz pmd661, microtrack II

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2013, 11:16:18 AM »
I ran my V2 for a while at the 7.5v setting and it eventually started to shut off after a while. I never had the problem again after switching to the 9v setting.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline jdmatt68

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2013, 01:11:46 PM »
"switch to 9v setting" on the tekkeon, right?  that's interesting...  never heard that.
mics: busman bsc1/k1,k2,k3 & bsc2/k11, k21, k31; neumann km184
pre: lunatec V2 and V3
recorder: sound devices 702, marantz pmd661, microtrack II

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2013, 01:31:02 PM »
Yes. It could've been any issue with my battery though.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline JusTapin

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2013, 04:31:42 PM »
Instead of observing the warning 120 days has past since this has last been posted in, I thought I'd keep it in here anyway.

Is anyone else using the Naztech PB15000 to power your V3?

I bought a V3 a couple months ago and have done 7 shows using the Naztech.  Pulling the opening act and headliner, I usually have at least 1/2 the batteries capacity left according to the battery indicators.  I've been experiencing some issues ever since I've added the V3 to my chain (akg460/ck61>v3>R44 SPDIF/Analog), but I don't think it has to do with the V3 itself (it's at GD as we speak being tested). 

After reading all the information about the power supply connection etc, I'm guessing when that is an issue, you would lose power to the V3 all together?

I ask that because my issue primarily has been the signal in both channels fades in both the SPDIF and analog feed after approximately 45 minutes to an hour and 12 minutes of run time.  After the opening act (less than an hour) I'll either put the deck in record/pause mode or have shut everything down all together with the same result, that being, after the headliner comes on the channels fade to almost nothing in some cases approximately an hour in.  Rather odd, in some instances, the signal has regained some power toward the encore of a 2 1/2 hour show.

I'm using a Lowpro Magnum 200 AW bag, stilts and initially (first 2 shows) had two Naztech batteries (btw set on 9v) slid between the R44 and V3 using dividers.  Thinking this may be causing to much heat, which I thought may be weakening the signal from the V3, I moved the batteries to the side in their own separate compartment.  Every time I run, I have the Lowpro unzipped with the straps buckled for the top and I hang the bag with one of those super large snap hooks usually on the fence rail etc, to leave plenty of room for air to circulate.

Other things I've done, changed cables, sent the mics to Richard Land for servicing, caps rebuilt, sent back for verification after continuing to have this issue. The 6th of 7 shows, the levels ran fine through the entire night (approx 4 hours) with only a very slight margin of difference between channels in both digi and analog.  But then the very next night, things went haywire again and the fading was back to the point, by the encore I had nearly no signal.    Things will run perfectly and near perfect levels in almost 4 hours of testing here in the house in a controlled environment and GD said their initial testing of 4 hours (playing music through the V3 on the bench) didn't produce anything abnormal.

My initial thoughts is heat being a culprit because in an air conditioned environment (running batteries) things seem fine.  But though even as hot as it has been, inside the bag hasn't gotten like what I would consider super hot, I mean you can still touch it and like I said, I make sure it is well ventilated etc. 

My second thought is maybe the Naztech power output weakens under the stress of heat and isn't sending enough power to the V3 possibly causing the signal output to drop?

Sorry for writing a book, I just wanted to try and cover it all and reach out to you all in hopes of finding this demon I've been chasing!  Maybe I should have started a new thread?  Thanks for any help or advice! 
Mics: AKG C460B, ck61/ck63, Naiant Actives/PFAs, AT835 cards/hypers (4.7 mod), CA-11 Croakies
Pre/BB: GD Lunatech V3, CA-9200, UA5, SD USBPre2, Neumenn BS48i-2
Decks: Roland R-44, Marantz PMD661 (OCM), Sony PCM-M10

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2013, 04:57:20 PM »
If your V3 is the 12V version you need to run your battery at 12V instead of 9V!! 

Instead of observing the warning 120 days has past since this has last been posted in, I thought I'd keep it in here anyway.

Is anyone else using the Naztech PB15000 to power your V3?

I bought a V3 a couple months ago and have done 7 shows using the Naztech.  Pulling the opening act and headliner, I usually have at least 1/2 the batteries capacity left according to the battery indicators.  I've been experiencing some issues ever since I've added the V3 to my chain (akg460/ck61>v3>R44 SPDIF/Analog), but I don't think it has to do with the V3 itself (it's at GD as we speak being tested). 

After reading all the information about the power supply connection etc, I'm guessing when that is an issue, you would lose power to the V3 all together?

I ask that because my issue primarily has been the signal in both channels fades in both the SPDIF and analog feed after approximately 45 minutes to an hour and 12 minutes of run time.  After the opening act (less than an hour) I'll either put the deck in record/pause mode or have shut everything down all together with the same result, that being, after the headliner comes on the channels fade to almost nothing in some cases approximately an hour in.  Rather odd, in some instances, the signal has regained some power toward the encore of a 2 1/2 hour show.

I'm using a Lowpro Magnum 200 AW bag, stilts and initially (first 2 shows) had two Naztech batteries (btw set on 9v) slid between the R44 and V3 using dividers.  Thinking this may be causing to much heat, which I thought may be weakening the signal from the V3, I moved the batteries to the side in their own separate compartment.  Every time I run, I have the Lowpro unzipped with the straps buckled for the top and I hang the bag with one of those super large snap hooks usually on the fence rail etc, to leave plenty of room for air to circulate.

Other things I've done, changed cables, sent the mics to Richard Land for servicing, caps rebuilt, sent back for verification after continuing to have this issue. The 6th of 7 shows, the levels ran fine through the entire night (approx 4 hours) with only a very slight margin of difference between channels in both digi and analog.  But then the very next night, things went haywire again and the fading was back to the point, by the encore I had nearly no signal.    Things will run perfectly and near perfect levels in almost 4 hours of testing here in the house in a controlled environment and GD said their initial testing of 4 hours (playing music through the V3 on the bench) didn't produce anything abnormal.

My initial thoughts is heat being a culprit because in an air conditioned environment (running batteries) things seem fine.  But though even as hot as it has been, inside the bag hasn't gotten like what I would consider super hot, I mean you can still touch it and like I said, I make sure it is well ventilated etc. 

My second thought is maybe the Naztech power output weakens under the stress of heat and isn't sending enough power to the V3 possibly causing the signal output to drop?

Sorry for writing a book, I just wanted to try and cover it all and reach out to you all in hopes of finding this demon I've been chasing!  Maybe I should have started a new thread?  Thanks for any help or advice!
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline JusTapin

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2013, 05:11:18 PM »
If your V3 is the 12V version you need to run your battery at 12V instead of 9V!! 

jbell - The V3 I have is the 12V version. I have been told by Grace Design and others that even setup for 12V, the V3 will calibrate (may be the wrong technical word/term) itself and run on less than a 12V supply.

Not disputing what you are saying, just stating the answer to that very question I've ask before.   
Mics: AKG C460B, ck61/ck63, Naiant Actives/PFAs, AT835 cards/hypers (4.7 mod), CA-11 Croakies

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2013, 05:43:12 PM »
If Grace told you it will work fine than you should be good!!  It was just a thought.  Sorry I'm not much help.  I own the Naztech, but use it for my 680. 

jbell - The V3 I have is the 12V version. I have been told by Grace Design and others that even setup for 12V, the V3 will calibrate (may be the wrong technical word/term) itself and run on less than a 12V supply.

Not disputing what you are saying, just stating the answer to that very question I've ask before.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline JusTapin

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2013, 05:56:03 PM »
If Grace told you it will work fine than you should be good!!  It was just a thought.  Sorry I'm not much help.  I own the Naztech, but use it for my 680. 

No apologizes needed man, I definitely appreciate your response and will run it by GD again Monday morning when I call them.

The more I think about it (from a non-electronics minded person..haha) it just seems like maybe the battery weakens and just isn't providing enough voltage.  But then I don't know if that would cause a signal drop and I would think the low battery indicator on the V3 would light up or the V3 would just shut down.

From the manual "For the 6 Volt V3, the low battery indicator flashes if the battery voltage drops below 5.75V. For the 12 Volt V3, the low battery indicator flashes if the battery drops below 11.5V."
Not sure the manual is accurate either because I've always run it on 9V and never seen the low battery indicator light up.  So I've got to discuss this more in detail with Grace.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 07:23:32 PM by JusTapin »

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2013, 07:36:03 AM »
What about something like this:

http://www.batteryspace.com/Custom-NiCD-Battery-7.2V-4400-mAh-Battery-Packs-with-open-end-wire-12xSc.aspx

I think I am going to move toward these RC batteries.  Easier to find, and cheaper.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline JusTapin

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2013, 05:59:18 PM »
What about something like this:

http://www.batteryspace.com/Custom-NiCD-Battery-7.2V-4400-mAh-Battery-Packs-with-open-end-wire-12xSc.aspx

I think I am going to move toward these RC batteries.  Easier to find, and cheaper.

I like the 7.2V idea and definitely the cost.  Could probably get through a 4 hour show with 2 of those. 

As far as my level issues between channels, Grace Design discovered that the -20dB attenuation jumpers in the left channel was engaged when the other phase wasn't, so that would explain the level discrepancy between channels.  So hopefully that will clear things up and we can put this demon I've been chasing to rest!

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2013, 11:56:19 PM »
I think a "Community Cabler" type should get on the hacking the Sony charger idea. I'd pay for that.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com