Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Instead of Hamptone...  (Read 2874 times)

Offline woodybear

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Acrobatic Audio
Instead of Hamptone...
« on: January 10, 2007, 08:33:47 PM »
I ordered a JFET from Hamptone.com recently and had my money refunded back just tonight. They're chaisis manuf. is having some trouble and holding up production. Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative? I was going to get the completed kit. I have minimal electonics experience. I wouldn't mind a single channel. I just would like another pre for my multitrack set up. Somewhere in the $1000 price range. Any ideas??

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
Re: Instead of Hamptone...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 09:06:05 PM »
This should be just what you're looking for:

copied from mercernary audio's website
John Hardy M1 Mic Preamps ship with the VU-1 LED meter and Jensen output transformer options as standard features. If you would like an M1 without these options, please email us.

The M-1 mic preamps are among the finest mic preamps in the world. They provide the accuracy and transparency that is missing in other mic preamps. No matter what your application, they will provide superior sound quality. The world's best input transformer (Jensen JT-16-B), best op-amp (990 discrete op-amp) and the elimination of all capacitors from the signal path combine to provide the highest performance.

The M-1 has a 19" wide mainframe rack-mount chassis (1.75"H x 19"W x 8"D) and can be ordered with 1 to 4 channels. There are two meter options and the best Jensen output transformer (JT-11-BMQ) is also available as an option. Additional channels and options can be easily added later up to the total capacity of the mainframe.

The M-1 was introduced in 1987 and while sonically identical to the M-2 there are a few control differences. The M-1 has a two-section gain-pot providing continuously variable adjustment in two overlapping ranges that are selected by the "High Gain" switch. (The M-2 has a 16 position gain-switch with 1% metal-film resistors providing accurate and repeatable gain settings and since the "High Gain" switch isn't necessary it's available with either a 20 ohm mic switch OR a 20dB pad switch.)

Highlights:
JT-16-B Input Transformer. Jensen's best no compromise mic input model.
990 Discrete Op-Amp. Faster, quieter, more powerful and better sounding than typical monolithic op-amps.
Elimination Of All Coupling Capacitors From The Signal Path. Results in less degradation of the audio signal.
Standard Features:
Dual Range Gain Control And 'High Gain' Switch. Provides great feel and resolution for easy and accurate adjustments.
Polarity Reverse Switch.
Phantom Power Switch.
All Front Panel Switches Are LED Illuminated.
Gold Plated XLR Connectors. For maximum reliability.
Ground Lift Switch On Each Channel. Helpful for eliminating ground loops.
Toroidal Power Transformer With Additional Shielding. Eliminates hum problems so no external power supply is needed.
Universal Power Supply. Internal switch provides six primary voltage choices to accommodate use anywhere in the world.
Chassis Ground Isolation Switch. Helpful for eliminating ground loops.
VU-1 Very accurate and informative 20 segment LED meter card with separate peak LED for monitoring preamp output.
JT-11-BMQ Output Transformer. Jensen's best line output transformer.

Shipping Weight: 20lbs

JHCM11List: $1,120.00
Merc: $1,050.00

peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

stirinthesauce

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 10:48:14 PM »
This should be just what you're looking for:

copied from mercernary audio's website
John Hardy M1 Mic Preamps ship with the VU-1 LED meter and Jensen output transformer options as standard features. If you would like an M1 without these options, please email us.

The M-1 mic preamps are among the finest mic preamps in the world. They provide the accuracy and transparency that is missing in other mic preamps. No matter what your application, they will provide superior sound quality. The world's best input transformer (Jensen JT-16-B), best op-amp (990 discrete op-amp) and the elimination of all capacitors from the signal path combine to provide the highest performance.

The M-1 has a 19" wide mainframe rack-mount chassis (1.75"H x 19"W x 8"D) and can be ordered with 1 to 4 channels. There are two meter options and the best Jensen output transformer (JT-11-BMQ) is also available as an option. Additional channels and options can be easily added later up to the total capacity of the mainframe.

The M-1 was introduced in 1987 and while sonically identical to the M-2 there are a few control differences. The M-1 has a two-section gain-pot providing continuously variable adjustment in two overlapping ranges that are selected by the "High Gain" switch. (The M-2 has a 16 position gain-switch with 1% metal-film resistors providing accurate and repeatable gain settings and since the "High Gain" switch isn't necessary it's available with either a 20 ohm mic switch OR a 20dB pad switch.)

Highlights:
JT-16-B Input Transformer. Jensen's best no compromise mic input model.
990 Discrete Op-Amp. Faster, quieter, more powerful and better sounding than typical monolithic op-amps.
Elimination Of All Coupling Capacitors From The Signal Path. Results in less degradation of the audio signal.
Standard Features:
Dual Range Gain Control And 'High Gain' Switch. Provides great feel and resolution for easy and accurate adjustments.
Polarity Reverse Switch.
Phantom Power Switch.
All Front Panel Switches Are LED Illuminated.
Gold Plated XLR Connectors. For maximum reliability.
Ground Lift Switch On Each Channel. Helpful for eliminating ground loops.
Toroidal Power Transformer With Additional Shielding. Eliminates hum problems so no external power supply is needed.
Universal Power Supply. Internal switch provides six primary voltage choices to accommodate use anywhere in the world.
Chassis Ground Isolation Switch. Helpful for eliminating ground loops.
VU-1 Very accurate and informative 20 segment LED meter card with separate peak LED for monitoring preamp output.
JT-11-BMQ Output Transformer. Jensen's best line output transformer.

Shipping Weight: 20lbs

JHCM11List: $1,120.00
Merc: $1,050.00

peace, chris

:drool:

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 04:29:59 PM »
I ordered a JFET from Hamptone.com recently and had my money refunded back just tonight. They're chaisis manuf. is having some trouble and holding up production. Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative? I was going to get the completed kit. I have minimal electonics experience. I wouldn't mind a single channel. I just would like another pre for my multitrack set up. Somewhere in the $1000 price range. Any ideas??

look for a used dbx 786..hint: ebay

try to get one anywhere between 1000-1400 bucks.

i got mine for 1100

heheheh

>:D

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 06:50:08 PM »
Wait for the Hamptone JFET it is amazing. I am on his waiting list right now for the tube and JFET kits. I borrowed his personal JFET and it sounds awesome and to me it beats anything close to it in price.

I can understand if you are in a rush but if not.... wait 
Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com