Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to place mics in a cap...  (Read 6370 times)

Offline Nielsen81

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
How to place mics in a cap...
« on: July 10, 2019, 05:45:49 PM »
Hi Guys :)

I have searched and know there should be some topics about this inhere, but I just can't find it.
Are there any examples on how to hide the mics in a cap when recording a show?

BR
Nielsen81
Have you taped a Nirvana show or do you know anyone who has? Then please contact me or go to LiveNirvana.com

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: How to place mics in a cap...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 05:49:55 PM »
No. Folks don't usually discuss that openly here. You might get some Personal Messages about it though.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Nielsen81

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 05:53:39 PM »
Oh, I was told there should be some topics about it, but PM would work fine for me though, as it could improve my recordings (FF being the last one) :)

Thanks for the fast reply :)
Have you taped a Nirvana show or do you know anyone who has? Then please contact me or go to LiveNirvana.com

Offline morst

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 06:02:14 PM »
There are security folks who look at this board, thus, it is kept dark.

Well, you might as well post what kind of mics you have. Large Diaphragms are gonna require the Abe Lincoln Stovepipe.

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 12:13:15 AM »

pm me for a straight answer
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 12:15:10 AM by ilduclo »

Offline morst

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 01:02:15 AM »

EXCUSE ME,

COULD YOU PLEASE REMOVE YOUR HEAD!?!

:-[ :-[
:-[

pm me for a straight answer

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 01:07:35 AM »

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 01:09:36 AM »
I think one of the most fun/interesting parts of  >:D is to figure it out on your own.

Play around. I've changed my methods over the years for a variety of reasons.

Good luck!
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Nielsen81

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 03:17:51 AM »
Fatah, yeah, I could do that but inputs to do so would be welcome anyway :)
I'll try but might return to the question :)

Morst: I'm using CA-14 cardioids.

Offline ninjadave

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Timing and cash flow...
    • Ninja's ROIO's
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 09:26:48 PM »
I'm sorry, i gotta say this because more than once i've had people mock me for asking a question about this and such and frankly, its a joke and apparently, I have to point out "the OBVIOUS" to these folks.....

if there are security folks looking at this board they know exactly what is going on and discussing this in an open way or not -> doesn't matter.
if anyone looks at the thousands of posts on here and can't figure out what the hell people are doing to get this equipment in the venue and use it, then they are fucking retards and they are most likely NOT that.
think about it. i mean really, after reading this site, you think these people think that the equipment is teleported in? or already inside the venue?

the real fact is -> MOST SECURITY DO NOT GIVE ONE RATS ASS about what we are doing. they work the job, stop fights, stop smokers, keep people in line. most of these folks are retiree's looking for something to do.
you think they are looking on this site and then trying to find us in the audience....good God. only the anal retentive bands or artists might be doing this and if so, they know it all already and what to look for.
and they generally don't handle the door security only the stage/audience folks and most of those are venue hired also so keep that in mind.  stage folks are mostly band related so if you are close to the stage be wary.
and if you don't know the bands then I'll tell you two of them. BOSTON and Rik Emmett. I've been busted by both and it had nothing to do with them reading this site. It was OPERATOR error and you live
and learn (I was already in the venue and taping, these folks LOOK for tapers and any movements that would give it away). Don't look at your gear and hide it well. That is all.
this was when i first started taping back in 2002 and 2003 so i'm not sure this site was even around then. never been touched or questioned once since, at the door or inside EXCEPT one time i had a young girl ask me to remove my hat at the door.
i walked to a different door.....problem solved.

i've never been caught at the door or inside besides those (and i've taped in venues in OH, PA, NY, MD, DC, NJ, IN, IL, KS, OK, CA, Canada, and more) and i think i have over 100+ recordings since 2002.

its a minority of people who get caught, the smallest.....

good luck, whatever you do, but velcro is your friend (and elastic), all the way around. sew or stitch it in and you can't go wrong. 

roll on.
ninjadave.
Mics = Milab VM-44 Links [c] ~ AT853 [c,o] 
Preamp/BB = Naiant IPA (v1) ~ CA-UGLY [+20db]
Recorders = Marantz PMD661 (Oade CM) ~ Sony PCM-A10
Playback = Sony MDR-7506 ~ Rokit 5's

http://ninjasroio.tripod.com/mainpage.html  [needs updated badly]

Offline Nielsen81

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 04:36:04 AM »
Thanks Ninja (there really should be a thank you button here) :)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 04:46:55 PM »
^ -T

you think they are looking on this site and then trying to find us in the audience....good God.

You want actal examples?  There are here to be found on the site.  Others may point them out to you.. or better, search them out for yourself.

i've never been caught at the door or inside besides those (and i've taped in venues in OH, PA, NY, MD, DC, NJ, IN, IL, KS, OK, CA, Canada, and more) and i think i have over 100+ recordings since 2002.

So what works for you works for everyone?  ::)
Only 100 recordings over the course of 17 years? Many here do that in less than one.

its a minority of people who get caught, the smallest....

So fuck them?

Hey self-centered, you are not the only taper in the world.  The kinds of music you tape, the kinds of venues you record in, are not representative of what other members are doing. This is a community.  Members support each other. Open your mind. Respect what others are doing and  must deal with. 

What's so difficult about sending a PM?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 06:47:34 PM »
Amen Gutbucket!

I am always amazed that some people are not able to understand that stealth recording ceases being stealth when you talk about it out in the open on a public internet message board.

Keep stealth recording.... stealth.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 07:58:52 PM »
I'm sorry, i gotta say this because more than once i've had people mock me for asking a question about this and such and frankly, its a joke and apparently, I have to point out "the OBVIOUS" to these folks.....

if there are security folks looking at this board they know exactly what is going on and discussing this in an open way or not -> doesn't matter.
if anyone looks at the thousands of posts on here and can't figure out what the hell people are doing to get this equipment in the venue and use it, then they are fucking retards and they are most likely NOT that.
think about it. i mean really, after reading this site, you think these people think that the equipment is teleported in? or already inside the venue?

the real fact is -> MOST SECURITY DO NOT GIVE ONE RATS ASS about what we are doing. they work the job, stop fights, stop smokers, keep people in line. most of these folks are retiree's looking for something to do.
you think they are looking on this site and then trying to find us in the audience....good God. only the anal retentive bands or artists might be doing this and if so, they know it all already and what to look for.
and they generally don't handle the door security only the stage/audience folks and most of those are venue hired also so keep that in mind.  stage folks are mostly band related so if you are close to the stage be wary.
and if you don't know the bands then I'll tell you two of them. BOSTON and Rik Emmett. I've been busted by both and it had nothing to do with them reading this site. It was OPERATOR error and you live
and learn (I was already in the venue and taping, these folks LOOK for tapers and any movements that would give it away). Don't look at your gear and hide it well. That is all.
this was when i first started taping back in 2002 and 2003 so i'm not sure this site was even around then. never been touched or questioned once since, at the door or inside EXCEPT one time i had a young girl ask me to remove my hat at the door.
i walked to a different door.....problem solved.

its a minority of people who get caught, the smallest.....

good luck, whatever you do, but velcro is your friend (and elastic), all the way around. sew or stitch it in and you can't go wrong. 

roll on.
ninjadave.

There has been people come here and ask for tips for the specific purpose of busting people doing it so don't think you are always right - because you aren't.

You don't think it's a big deal and I think it's a huge deal. This is likely to be an unpopular opinion with many here but - this is not "sneakytapingbandswithmicsinahat.com" and I think that the attention it may bring does the rest of us - who do what we do out in the open and with permission - a bad name. It also does a disservice to live recording in general by perpetuating the "bootleg" mentality of people who may not understand what those of us who operate out in plain view are trying to accomplish.

The OP, in my mind, is no different than the knucklehead who came around asking for people to record Taylor Swift for them. I don't want someone to type "Taylor Swift Bootleg" into google and come straight here. I also don't someone to search for "how to hide microphones in hat to record concert bootleg" and come straight to our site.

If you can't figure out how to hide a pair of mics in a hat on your own you need a new hobby.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 08:06:34 PM »
having been tackled by security i take no chances
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com