Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

help choosing cheap mic pre-amp

(1/2) > >>

jaym1818:
Hello everyone, I did alot of taping in the late 90's early 00 and now that the kids are older i'm starting to get out to shows more often. I loved my octava mc012's that i sold after not using for a while, thinking of buying them again, sound great to me. I used a art dual mp back in the day. I'd like to find a portable pre-amp that I can run to either my tascam dr-07 or dr-05v2. I have very little knowledge of pre-amps and very little money to purchase one. Right now I have a set of csb mics with battery box that I run direct to my dr-07, but i've only done one show with them so far and I was fairly pleased, i know results can vary by room but listening to some shows i recorded with the octavas i really kinda want them again. Thanks for any tips, ideas and guidance.

Hypnocracy:
The Sound Design MP-2/Shure FP-24 is a great preamp that can be had for under $300 in the Yard Sale...just be aware they need attenuation pads (12-18db)...They run a bit hot...you can run from the Mini TRS out...if you want the sound of the lundal transformers I guess you would have to get attenuation for output XLR's to a handheld input too.

Cheaper...I'd consider just picking up a two channel all in one with XLR and Phantom power inputs built in first...Tascam DR-60DmkII used are cheap.

DSatz:
Are you sure that ART preamps are the kind of thing you would want today? Those are crude devices with a lot of distortion, and their system of two level controls--one before the tube, and one after it--make it hard to know in advance what kind of sound you'll get out of them at any given concert.

They have a "Studio MP" model that lets you see what levels you're sending in to the tube circuitry, for what that's worth; if I had to use their stuff, that's the model I'd choose. But I'm sure there are many cleaner-sounding alternatives--the M-Audio "Audio Buddy" comes to mind, for example.

--best regards

EmRR:
If spending for a preamp, I might consider a lateral into something like a used DR-701D with preamps built in.  They sound really very good, and you might spend as much just adding a preamp to what you already have. 

Maybe not what you need, but shameless plug for the Oktava MK-012 figure 8 set I have in the yard sale.  Add another Oktava preamp body and you've got a mid-side rig.   Plenty of other good options out there for similar or less money, Line Audio mics, etc. 

morst:

--- Quote from: DSatz on January 21, 2019, 12:57:01 PM --- But I'm sure there are many cleaner-sounding alternatives--the M-Audio "Audio Buddy" comes to mind, for example.

--- End quote ---
The Audio Buddy appears to require 9v AC input for power. Fine if you've got wall socket access, but not practical for most mobile recording setups. Heck of a budget deal though, if the form factor and such are compatible with your needs for this two-channel phantom-powerable preamp!?

https://m-audio.com/products/view/audio-buddy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version