Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50 PT II  (Read 100119 times)

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50 PT II
« on: December 20, 2007, 10:54:18 PM »
Starting a new thread as the old one has reached 25 pages.  Looks like Guy Sonic tested the noise floor on the D50 and it is lower than the R09.

PT I - http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,92069.0.html
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 10:16:39 PM by shaggy »

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
Re: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50 PT II
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 09:02:08 AM »
Did Guy Sonic post that info on the test anywhere?  It does sound very clean to me.  The headphone amp is mighty nice and clean as well. I was very impressed with that while running at the C Jam.
It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Houston
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 11:12:31 AM »
Starting a new thread as the old one has reached 25 pages.  Looks like Guy Sonic tested the noise floor on the D50 and it is lower than the R09.

Good news.  Now to see if we can hack the mics off...

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 12:49:06 PM »
Here's another comparison: D50, R-1, and R09.  At first glance, R09 is still tiny as all get-out.  Also, if you hack the mics off of the D50, the D50 and the R-1 are the exact length. 

Really like the built quality of the D50.  Definitely a throwback to the old days of classic Sony engineering.

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 12:54:20 PM »
But the D50 is also the only one with a 4Gb internal HD as well as flash of the 3.  I agree on the build quality.  Makes my Hi-MDs from Sony feel cheap and frail.

+T on the comparison pictures. 

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 01:08:02 PM »
But the D50 is also the only one with a 4Gb internal HD as well as flash of the 3.  I agree on the build quality.  Makes my Hi-MDs from Sony feel cheap and frail.

Not so.  The D50 does not have a HD.  It has built-in flash.  In addition, all three items record to flash, but under their own separate form:

D50 - Memory Stick
R-1 - Compact Flash
R09 - Secure Digital

+T

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 01:18:34 PM »

Not so.  The D50 does not have a HD.  It has built-in flash.  In addition, all three items record to flash, but under their own separate form:

D50 - Memory Stick
R-1 - Compact Flash
R09 - Secure Digital

+T

+T for the photos.  Can't wait to hear some head to head clips to compare the A2D of the D50 to the R-09.  I still find he A2D on the R-09 lacks bass and "open" feel of my old PCM-M1...

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 01:19:10 PM »

D50 - Memory Stick
R-1 - Compact Flash
R09 - Secure Digital

+T
Thank you for pointing that out.  All solid state 4Gb flash drive internally on the D50.  Well, I guess I meant to write "and note that the D50 is the only one with an internal 4Gb flash memory"

;D 

Here's some info from wikipedia on solid state that I found interesting....
Solid State

« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 01:24:00 PM by mrsoul »

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 01:23:12 PM »
So, it is a flash drive, not a solid state drive, in the D50...

>>>Unlike solid state drives, flash drives do not generally require backup battery systems.

Offline BruPri

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 07:02:48 PM »
Well, finally I was able to get this posted. Yeah, I'm the newbie that customized the Pelican 1040 case that someone on another board best described as "fugly"  ::) (is that a contraction of the two words I think it is?) eh, it works for me. Anyway, as previously posted in another thread, I wanted to do a comparison between the built in mics and a Sony ECM-MS957. I really liked my R-09 mics and could not get the 957 to sound good with the Edriol unit. Then I got the D50. I monitored and recorded both mics through some 7506 headphones. At first listen, the built in mics are sensative, detailed and well...useable. Then I plugged in a Sony ECM-MS957, the D50 menu automatically prompts you to choose plug 'n power, yes or no. I chose no as the 957 has a battery. What I hear is no more noise than the built in mics which in comparison to the handheld come off rather strident and etched, detailed to a fault, like they're jumping up and down saying "HEY YOU, LISTEN TO ME!" The 957 on the other hand, to my ear, is quite detailed yet warm sounding, like a nice large diaphragm condenser. Quite a shock to me as I had no luck whatsoever getting it to work well with the R-09, the internal mics always bettered it. Go figure.
Just my view. Here's the sample FLAC'd http://www.mediafire.com/?0so9zgyjgmz

Offline Outrageous

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 11:32:13 AM »
I got my D50 yesterday (Christmas present!) and I think it's very nice.  One thing I noticed though is that the little plastic door over the MemoryStick slot is quite loose.  It makes a loud noise if you touch it while recording and hand-holding the unit.  A bit of tape should solve the problem, but it seems like a design oversight to me.  One question for those of you who already have a D50: does having a MemoryStick installed solve this issue by keeping the plastic door from rattling?

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 11:39:11 AM »
I haven't noticed the door being too loose.  A little flimsy plastic but not snug.  I do keep the 4Gb card in the slot so that might be the difference.

Offline Outrageous

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 02:47:51 PM »

I haven't noticed the door being too loose.  A little flimsy plastic but not snug.  I do keep the 4Gb card in the slot so that might be the difference.

Mrsoul, thanks--it seems like the door must contact the MemoryStick and be kept from rattling in that way.  Now I'll have another reason to add memory.

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 02:55:56 PM »
I did some testing with and without the card, I really didn't notice much difference  The door does NOT seal 100% and touching it does give noise but just about any movement when holding and using the internal mics will do the same.  It seems sturdy enough and definitely more than some of the USB flaps Sony put on some of their MDs/HiMDs. 
So, I didn't notice any difference in the stability of the door with or without the card in place. 
Didn't want you to get the wrong impression from my post earlier.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 02:57:36 PM by mrsoul »

Offline Outrageous

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 04:26:40 PM »

So, I didn't notice any difference in the stability of the door with or without the card in place. 
Didn't want you to get the wrong impression from my post earlier.

OK, thanks for the follow-up.  Maybe the door on mine is especially loose.  I'll have to get hold of a MemoryStick to test whether it helps any on mine.  Meanwhile, a 3/4" piece of blue painter's masking tape is keeping it from rattling.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com