Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SD > CF card adapters and the Tascam HD-P2  (Read 11769 times)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
SD > CF card adapters and the Tascam HD-P2
« on: March 03, 2010, 11:23:05 PM »
So I used to have this cheap CF card-reader for my HD-P2.  I'd pull the card, then stick it in the reader and do a USB transfer to the PC.  It is a lot quicker than the Firewire, and my new hand-me-down PC doesn't ahve FW anyways...

Anyways, I say I "used to own" because I threw it away.  The other night while I was sliding the card into it, I bent one of the pins.  I didn't realize this at first, and tried to reinsert the card.  After a couple of tries, I realized what was happening and was able to use a small screwdriver to bend the pin back into place and get it to work correctly.  After I was done transfering the tracks, I pulled the card and realized that the leading edge got chewed up a little.  Not enough to matter, but it put the thought into my head that the pins in the HD-P2 may bend with all the in and out...

So I did a little Googling and found this: 

http://www.buy.com/prod/konica-minolta-compactflash-pc-card-adapter-secure-digital-sd-card/q/loc/101/10346823.html

I wonder if anyone has any experience with a device like this...  I'dd like to insert the adapter into the HD-P2 and take the SD in and out instead.  Since there are no pins, and only contact points, there is a much smaller chance of damage, and any damge would be to the card and adapter and not to the HD-P2...

Any thoughts???

Thanks,

Terry
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 11:27:31 PM by twatts and not wearing pants »
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: SD > CF card adapters and the Tascam HD-P2
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 03:29:07 PM »
I would think that anything that sticks out past the chasis has chance of getting hit and bent/broken.  If you want I've got a CF only card reader. 

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 11:39:40 PM »
I would think that anything that sticks out past the chasis has chance of getting hit and bent/broken.  If you want I've got a CF only card reader.

I went out and bought a new CF Reader that is a gazillion times better than the other one I had...  $10 at Target...

And I thought about that...  The CF2 adapters I see contain the entire SD, but you have to eject the CF2 to get to the SD, which defeats my initial purpose.

I'm thinking now of going with a CF1>MicroSD adapter, it doesn't have to be removed to take out the MicroSD, but I'm not sure how much the Micro sticks out...

http://www.geekstuff4u.com/microsdhc-to-cf-converter.html

I may have to get my mom to get it from Japan for me...  Calling cousin Makoto...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 11:47:05 PM »

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 12:45:38 PM »
When I first got a card reader, I kept trying to put the CF card into it....  but it wouldn't go in.  I bent a pin in the reader as a result.  I straightened it out with a tweezers or something, and then realized that the card reader's CF slot is upside-down....  crazy eh!!!  I've never had that problem again. 

I don't think the P2's pins would get bent because the CF slot is notched perfectly it seems so that the card NEEDS to be in the right "tracks" before it can be inserted into the slot.  If it's not in the proper "tracks", the card won't go in.  Great intentions you have!!!  But I guess I'm not too worried about it.....   seems unlikely to me.  But if you figure out a "work-around", report back here.....  it's always nice to be safe!

edit to add:  how would you transfer that MicroSD>CF card?  It states this...  "The CR-7200 from PhotoFast adapter can hold four 16GB microSD cards running in RAID. This makes the slower microSD format as fast as CompactFlash by striping data across all four microSD cards at once"
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 12:49:09 PM by uncleyug »
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 11:51:48 PM »

edit to add:  how would you transfer that MicroSD>CF card?  It states this...  "The CR-7200 from PhotoFast adapter can hold four 16GB microSD cards running in RAID. This makes the slower microSD format as fast as CompactFlash by striping data across all four microSD cards at once".

The CR-7200 is a different beast than the one I want...

I ended up buying one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/ykmawuo  (ebay search for "PhotoFast microSD microSDHC to CF Type1 ADAPTER CR-7100")

I haven't tested it yet; gotta get a MicroSD card first...  I'll let everyone know the results...  This would effectively be a CF>MicroSD "Mod", overcoming the CF obsolescense...

But as far as the 7200, I'm curious.  I think that if you use it as a "CF Card" rather than 4x separate MicroSDs, it would work fine???  Get one and test it out???  If it doesn't work, sell it to some camera bug...  it may work in a camera???

Terry

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 12:04:45 AM »
Thoughts of a drunk engineer...

1. Record onto the MicroSD at show.
2. Insert MicroSD into Droid Phone.
3. Insert 3.5mm cable into headphone out of Droid Phone into car stereo adapter (this cable/adapter exists).
4. Playback show on the way home (does Droid have a "Wav Player" App???)

Interesting...

Terry
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 12:09:30 AM by twatts and not wearing pants »

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 12:12:10 AM »
Thoughts of a drunk engineer...

4. Playback show on the way home (does Droid have a "Wav Player" App???)

Maybe???  http://www.filestube.com/d/droid+wav

Terry

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 10:11:32 PM »
OK...  This afternoon, I went with Cody over to WalMart and got a MicroSD card.  Typical SanDisk 4gb deal for $15. 

Preliminary indication show that it works.  I've been able to insert the MicroSD into the CF Adapter and plug the whole thing into the HD-P2.  With a small push, I'm able to remove the MicroSD without removing the CF.  Power on and the HD-P2 formatted the MicroSD.  Success.  Media Speed Test showed all OK on all points.  Success.  I'm running a DAT into it now to see if it records OK, etc...

I'll post more in a while...  But so far its working...

Terry

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 11:33:42 PM »
Alrighty then.  Looks like this works just fine.  I ran about 30min. of a dat into the deck with MicroSD in place and it recorded jsut fine methinks.  I listened to the DAT on 'phones during the xfer and didn't hear any flaws.  I also listened to the xfer once I copied the MicroSD files to the PC and I didn't hear any flaws.  I'm not sure its bit perfect, but for my use, it seems to be just fine.

I'm curious if anyone could suggest a way to test if this is bit perfect...

Thanks,

Terry

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 08:58:17 AM »
Nice work, terry. Will this work with more than 16gb worth of microsd cards?
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 05:41:07 PM »
Nice work, terry. Will this work with more than 16gb worth of microsd cards?

Isn't the new update only able to handle up 16GB anyway? Which is double the 8GB it used to be able to handle.

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 07:29:18 PM »
I thought the update handled over 8gb...  I could be wrong...

Terry

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 01:53:09 AM »
Alrighty then.  Looks like this works just fine.  I ran about 30min. of a dat into the deck with MicroSD in place and it recorded jsut fine methinks.  I listened to the DAT on 'phones during the xfer and didn't hear any flaws.  I also listened to the xfer once I copied the MicroSD files to the PC and I didn't hear any flaws.  I'm not sure its bit perfect, but for my use, it seems to be just fine.

I'm curious if anyone could suggest a way to test if this is bit perfect...

Thanks,

Terry

I've tranfered several DATs successfully with this "mod".  I have yet to record an actual show, but I recommend it to to everyone...

Next up is to try a MicroSD that is larger than 4gb...

Terry

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 07:38:23 PM »
Update, I've been using (2) different 8gb MicroSD Cards (PNY and Kodak).  No problems what so ever...

Terry

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.123 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com