Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: stealth field recorder......?  (Read 11744 times)

Offline any slash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
stealth field recorder......?
« on: April 30, 2008, 03:58:28 PM »
i've been looking around the internet reading reviews and whatnot and having considered my budget i have reached a point of indecision about purchasing either the edirol r09, r09hr, or the zoom h2.....

i was wondering if anyone here could help me out with this indecision... my main problem is that my priority would be for a small, discreet recorder which would not be obtrusive or attract attention in public places

i am certain all three machines are more than good enough sound quality-wise

my concerns are with price... the zoom h2 is the most tempting at approx. £150, but looks exactly like what it is - a portable recorder, although it is quite hard to tell from the photos online just how compact it is.. ....it is also the only recorder out of the three with a windshield

the edirols cost more than i would like to pay ideally, but i have been informed that they are "built better" than the zoom h2, which makes me slightly worried that the zoom is rather flimsy a thing for me... the edirols are also rather discreet little machines (especially the black r-09hr) which could pass as a mp3 player so score well in discretion, they do not however come with a windshield..... and are approx. £70-100 more expensive than the zoom

the only edirol r09s which seem to be available for purchase seem only to be available in red, which isn't very stealth-friendly, also the deals i've spotted with both edirols would probably see me splashing out even more money on silcone cases for protection...

i think a key criteria which would sway me is the robustness of the machine, i have heard and read some worrying reviews of the r09s flimsy battery/usb flap.....

any help is very very welcome

my head is all tense with indecision >:(

Offline jonohull

• Taperssection Member
  • 12/10/07...
Re: stealth field recorder......?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 04:03:47 PM »
There are many threads about this, please read those first.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 04:06:46 PM »
Let search be your friend.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline any slash

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 04:09:49 PM »
oooooooooooooopsy  :-[

Offline any slash

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 05:01:34 PM »
done some reading, watched a video and now i'm even more confused than ever!! grrrr

;)

if only the zoom h2 didnt look so much like what it is, this decision would be so much easier........... nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh :-\

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 06:22:53 PM »
done some reading, watched a video and now i'm even more confused than ever!! grrrr

;)

if only the zoom h2 didnt look so much like what it is, this decision would be so much easier........... nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh :-\

From what I have heard the H2 makes better recordings from its internal mikes than the R-09. The H2 does surround out of the box, nice.
Again from what I have heard the R-09HR is probably equal or better than the H2 for internal (stereo) mic recording.

If you are making recordings using the internal mic-pres, the H2 < R-09 < or = R-09HR.

Once you plug line-level sources (i.e using exernal mic preamps) into these things they all make great recordings.

I have an R09 and will soon have a HR, simply because the internal mics sound better and I need to use them occasionally.

Don't be put off by the H2 packaging, if you pulled the boards out of these things and laid them on a bench you would not know from whence they came. Sometimes it's better to be using cheap gear in the field, you are more daring with it and so likely to make better recordings. Like leaving it under a jumper on the edge of a stage :)

digifish

« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 06:29:41 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 06:30:53 PM »
A few stealthy recorders to consider.
Flintstone

less than $200
------------------------
Zoom H2

less than $300
------------------------
Tascam DR-1
Zoom H4
M-Audio Microtrack 2
Edirol R-09

less than $400
------------------------
Sony MZ-M200 (HiMD)
Olympus LS-10
Edirol R-09 HR
Yamaha Pocketrak 2G  (coming in May)
...also known as Xacti ICR-PS285RM
Marantz PMD620

less than $500
------------------------
Sony PCM-D50

more than $500
------------------------
Korg MR-1
Nagra ARES-M II

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 11:26:35 PM »
If you are handy with copying files and following instructions, I can highly recommend an iRiver iHP 120 with Rockbox firmware. Excellent metering, "it's an mp3 player", and you get 20 gb for storing plenty of recordings.

one just popped up in the yard sale:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,103162.0.html
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:33:27 PM by Sunday Driver »
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

Offline any slash

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 09:25:05 AM »
thanks for your replies!!

If you are handy with copying files and following instructions, I can highly recommend an iRiver iHP 120 with Rockbox firmware. Excellent metering, "it's an mp3 player", and you get 20 gb for storing plenty of recordings.

does this iriver have internal mics?

i live in the uk so shipping would be a problem...?

Offline GrandMasterMark

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Hold still my sexy little mule!
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 10:03:34 AM »
It has an internal mic that isn't good for much more than recording your shopping list. You will def need externals to get the quality that you are talking about.

The H120's are available on ebay, buy it now for $159 us and can be shipped worldwide. Of course you will then need to install rockbox yourself. Not too hard.

Good luck!
LIVE MP3s?!? Disclaimer: If you're anything like me, you'll utterly hate how this shit sounds, which is no offense to (names removed), who have been to too many shows with their digital toys to NOT make me feel guilty about not playing better. But like I keep telling them, live music is for listening to live where bodies, surfaces and beer absorb the blemishes, and recorded music, well, that's why you fucking go to a studio to make your records, right? Nevertheless, in the interest of full disclosure, and because some people dig this shit, here's a few nuggets of live joy, some old shit, some new, some borrowed and no goddamn blues, because I'm white and have more respect for BLAH BLah blah

Offline Sunday Driver

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 12:53:12 PM »

I would strongly suggest not using the iRiver's internal mic. It's mono and sounds terrible. Someone attempted to tape a Tool show with one and it sounded like fingernails on a chalk board. Get an external mic / battery box at least.

Or...if you really just want to use an internal mic, the Zoom H2 is definitely worth a look. Personally, if you want to use the internal mic, I would avoid the Edirol R-09. They are very bassy for recording loud rock music.
My Tapes

Offline any slash

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 02:33:59 PM »

I would strongly suggest not using the iRiver's internal mic. It's mono and sounds terrible. Someone attempted to tape a Tool show with one and it sounded like fingernails on a chalk board. Get an external mic / battery box at least.

Or...if you really just want to use an internal mic, the Zoom H2 is definitely worth a look. Personally, if you want to use the internal mic, I would avoid the Edirol R-09. They are very bassy for recording loud rock music.

i dont think i will be recording too many amplified sounds, the odd pub bands here and there.... but mostly field recordings/soundscape city /public noise type-whatnots

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 11:15:18 AM »
i was wondering if anyone here could help me out with this indecision... my main problem is that my priority would be for a small, discreet recorder which would not be obtrusive or attract attention in public places

...the only recorder out of the three with a windshield

slightly worried that the zoom is rather flimsy a thing for me...

the only edirol r09s which seem to be available for purchase seem only to be available in red, which isn't very stealth-friendly

i think a key criteria which would sway me is the robustness of the machine

OK, let's see:
1. You want something with decent built-in mics
2. You want something robust
3. Your main usage is ambient sounds outdoors (windshield!), and the occasional pub band, which do not require super-stealth. Handling high SPL is not crucial.
4. You want something that won't be spotted in broad daylight, but avoiding pat-downs is not crucial?
5. Your budget is $300-something.

I wouldn't be too worried about getting a windshield, there are plenty of after-market solutions, and folks here offering custom windshields at the YS.

Going by Flintstone's list, here's my verdict:

Tascam DR-1 - sturdy, good choice
Marantz PMD620 - sturdy, good choice. Above your budget?

Zoom H4 - plasticky, but still better build than H2

Olympus LS-10 - possible, but above your budget
Yamaha Pocketrak 2G aka Xacti ICR-PS285RM - possible, but above your budget

Zoom H2 - OUT, too flimsy
Edirol R-09 - OUT, too flimsy
Edirol R-09 HR - OUT, too flimsy
M-Audio Microtrack 2 - OUT, no built-in mics
Sony MZ-M200 (HiMD) - OUT, no built-in mics
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 11:19:26 AM by sunjan »
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline sunjan

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 05:06:11 PM »
Flimsy? Yes, the H2 is plastic. Yes, if you boot stomp it, it will break. Treat it with a modicum of respect then it will hold up just fine.

Sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone, and I have no first-hand experience of the H2.

But for someone that has $300 to burn, and has robustness as a key criteria, I'd much rather recommend the DR-1 than the H2!

Offline Sunday Driver

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 05:21:28 PM »
One thing that I don't like about the Tascam DR-1 though: if "any_slash" decides to upgrade to a preamp or mics / battery box, he gets no line level gain control.
My Tapes

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 06:00:13 PM »
Flimsy? Yes, the H2 is plastic. Yes, if you boot stomp it, it will break. Treat it with a modicum of respect then it will hold up just fine.

Sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone, and I have no first-hand experience of the H2.

But for someone that has $300 to burn, and has robustness as a key criteria, I'd much rather recommend the DR-1 than the H2!

No offense. Sorry if I sounded that way. I just think that it a misconception to think of it as flimsy. I wont hold up to excessive abuse but then none of this equipment should be abused on that level. There is a lot to recommend about the H2, four mics, choice of three ways to use those mics, a wide range of formats (more than the DR-1), etc. I certainly wont claim it is the best out there, just that it is a good bang for the buck. Don't sell it short!
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 06:40:39 PM »

The H2 makes excellent recordings from the internal mics. Far better than the R-09 (IMO).

I don't see how you can go past the H2 if you are after a cheap, one-device field-recording solution. And you get surround-sound for free.

If the internal mics in the R-09HR turn out to be as good as the H2 (or better) then I would go with that.

I know nothing about the DR-1 BTW, so nothing against that.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 06:58:38 PM »
i dont think i will be recording too many amplified sounds, the odd pub bands here and there.... but mostly field recordings/soundscape city /public noise type-whatnots

In that case the R-09 is simply unusable for atmospheric recording, too much hiss. It's OK for capturing loud natural sounds when you get to turn the mic gain down (or to low sensitivity), but that is about it.

H2, internal mics (from freesound)...

Ocean close miced

SFX dragging heavy stuff 1

SFX dragging heavy stuff 2

Hitting metal

Squeaky toilet-roll holder

Forrest & birds

etc...

digifish

- What's this knob do?

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 07:11:18 PM »
I've heard a recording from a Tascam DR-1 and it sounded ok. My friend that has it is happy with it but he's not deeply into field recording. He's just recording band practice, etc. Its more of audio notebook for him to capture ideas.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline exileded

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 11:24:28 PM »
As the price is coming down the DR-1 could be a good option, the build quality and sound is great BUT it is bulkier than the R09 and the H2 (not by much but you wouldnt really want it in your shirt pocket!)
In terms of sound quality with the internal mic's it will always suffer abit compared to some of the great external options out there, for this reason again I would look at the R09 due to the fact that if you do end up progressing to external mic's it seems abit better than the H2.
The other thing you could look at going foward would be getting the Church Audio mod (check retail space) to upgrade the internal mic's on the R09. Although it would blow your budget at the moment, at least if you have the R09 you know there is a good option to improve it as time and budget allows.

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 01:39:37 PM »
... DR-1 could be a good option, the build quality and sound is great BUT it is bulkier than the R09 and the H2 (not by much but you wouldnt really want it in your shirt pocket!)

The DR-1 is over 7oz, the H2 is 4oz. You can easily carry the H2 in a shirt pocket (it is a tad bulky for that). To carry the DR-1 in a shirt pocket you would be carrying almost half a pound.

I think that one big limiting factor for all of the small all-in-one units is mic placement. It will always be a compromise by their very nature. The DR-1 offers some flexibility and the H2 with its 4 mics offers a different type of flexibility but neither is going to be optimum. The H2 mics are set to X-Y configuration.  External mics obviously offer much better options in this area. I sometimes run Church-Audio mics and preamp into the line-in of my H2 with good results. I don't know how the line-in and A/D conversion compare between the different small recorders but I am willing to bet there isn't a whole lot of difference in quality in those areas.

BTW, according to Chris Church, the internal mics on the H2 are Primo brand (don't know the exact model). I don't know what is in the other small recorders.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline any slash

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2008, 04:09:09 PM »
Zoom H2 - OUT, too flimsy
Edirol R-09 - OUT, too flimsy
Edirol R-09 HR - OUT, too flimsy

Flimsy? Yes, the H2 is plastic. Yes, if you boot stomp it, it will break. Treat it with a modicum of respect then it will hold up just fine. If for some reason you accidentally run over it with your car then it only takes  $200 US to replace it. It works fine for what it is, all except for the external mic jack. The preamp for that sucks by all reports.

It is also very light weight and in a pinch you can record with it in your shirt pocket. Don't want it seen? Turn it on then put it in the black bag its shipped with. That works fine. There are better recorders but not for this price.

it seems like the edirol r09s are almost all discontinued, and the pricier ...HR would seem like the only other possible alternative, hence the H22 is becoming very tempting, especially with your "put it in th black bag" which could perhaps make up for the difference in its normal not very stealthy design (unlike the r09).... i was also tempted by the logic of having a cheaper recorder which you'd be less worried about damaging... therefore more likely that you'll take it out with you for any sounds you might stumble upon.

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2008, 04:57:59 PM »
All the recorders mentioned are good, the difference is in the details and what works for you. If you wanted the absolute best sound quality, then you really have to look at a different setup with external mics, but that's not what you were after. If you want the most rugged unit, then the H2 would be out. If you want the lightest most portable unit, I'd have to look at the Yamaha 2G. But if you want something that is a compromise that fits what you were after, the H2 is certainly a good option, as is the R-09. You may want to upgrade in the future but at least you will have gotten your feet wet and will have a better idea of what details you are concerned about. Some things don't come to mind until you've actually recorded a few times.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline any slash

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 06:00:11 AM »
on my search through flickr for photos of the zoom h2 (i was looking for photos which gave me an idea of its size) i came across this:

with a few slices from a stanley knife for earphones hole and another one for the record button that could be a snug lil' stealthy cardigan for the zoom h2

Offline GrandMasterMark

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Hold still my sexy little mule!
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 11:14:37 PM »
I was a camera salesman for about 8 years. i have heard the same question for 8 years in regards to the "BEST" camera. "I want to buy the best camera available..." blah blah blah...You get it.

My answer has been the same for ALL 8 years: The best one is the one that you are the most comfortable with! As with cameras, most people cannot tell the difference between the BEST and the 5th best. BUT, if it is just a little too big to sneak in, or the settings are a little too complicated to get just right, or it is too expensive to stuff into your unders and sneak through the gate, then you won't use it. End of story! If you aren't comfortable with it then it will end up at home on your dresser instead of with you at the show. Buy the one that works the best for you.

I have the R-09. I love it. Sounds great, it small, is easy to use. Levels are easy to see, check, and adjust. Problem is that, even though I babied it, it is in the shop for warranty repair after only 63 days. It has been there for over 3 weeks.

Now I have a iRiver h120 with a stereo "T" mic that i bought off eBay. Total price is around $270. ($150 for the h120 / $120 for the mic) Easy to use once the rockox is in place. Quality is as good or better than the R-09. Bullet proof. 20 gigs of mem. The only downside for me is that the screen is too small for me to read. (I am old and blind) The AGC in the rockbox mod compensates for the tiny screen and level meter.

My advise to you, young Grass hopper? Buy the one that you are the most comfortable with. The one that is easy to use. The one that is cheap enough to replace if it get confiscated by a mongoloid bouncer with a bad attitude. The one that you aren't affraid to take outside to record the sound of falling rain... Jeezus, now I sound like a fu*king poet!

Just buy one and go out and use it. I seriously doubt that you will be able to hear any difference. With your price restrictions, they all sound the same.
LIVE MP3s?!? Disclaimer: If you're anything like me, you'll utterly hate how this shit sounds, which is no offense to (names removed), who have been to too many shows with their digital toys to NOT make me feel guilty about not playing better. But like I keep telling them, live music is for listening to live where bodies, surfaces and beer absorb the blemishes, and recorded music, well, that's why you fucking go to a studio to make your records, right? Nevertheless, in the interest of full disclosure, and because some people dig this shit, here's a few nuggets of live joy, some old shit, some new, some borrowed and no goddamn blues, because I'm white and have more respect for BLAH BLah blah

Offline any slash

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 05:26:48 PM »

My advise to you, young Grass hopper? Buy the one that you are the most comfortable with. The one that is easy to use. The one that is cheap enough to replace if it get confiscated by a mongoloid bouncer with a bad attitude. The one that you aren't affraid to take outside to record the sound of falling rain... Jeezus, now I sound like a fu*king poet!

Just buy one and go out and use it. I seriously doubt that you will be able to hear any difference. With your price restrictions, they all sound the same.

:spin:

i think you are right here..... i 've been thinking along these lines myself.... ie there'd be no point of getting a piece of technology i want to have out and about for spontaneous recordings... come rain or shine (OR WIND) and not be too frightened to use because of the price (which is not to say i won't take good care of whatever the hell i choose to buy) ....and sound quality-wise, i probably wouldnt be able to notice the difference

now this iriver + "t mic" sounds vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvery interesting......

just when i thought i'd setttled for the zoom h2 you have to go and add a further complication!! ;)

could i get the name of a decent "t mic" please.... google is not proving too helpful when searching that :'(

Offline powermonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 06:59:40 PM »
My limited experience with the R09 and the R09HR is that the R09 does indeed feel flimsy - although using one for a year I had no problems whatsoever, not with the battery door, or with the inputs. The only real concern I had was that the internal mics felt a little loose. That might have been because of me pocketing it the whole time.

The R09HR feels a lot more substantial. The mics are as solid as a rock, the battery door is way better. I don't know about any i/p problems, but I've read that Edirol have taken action to remedy the broken socket problems people round here have suffered from.

Hope that helps somewhat.
Church Audio CA-11s, CA-14 Cards, CA-14 Omnis, Peluso CEMC-6

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

My live recordings.... HERE:

https://www.facebook.com/Liverecordings1

and/or

https://soundcloud.com/liverecordings-1

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 03:36:59 PM »

could i get the name of a decent "t mic" please.... google is not proving too helpful when searching that :'(

Here are 3 from Sound Professionals. Different price points and samples for 2 of the 3. I have purchased from them and they are very helpful and will answer questions. Also there is a discount for TS.com. If you scan through the Retail Section, there is a code listed there somewhere. You can probably just call and get it too.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSM-13

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSM-3

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSM-1
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline any slash

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2008, 05:18:42 PM »
okay, just as an update... not that i think you paaaaarticularly care too much  :'(

:-*

just purchased an iriver h120... which i saw for a v. decent price, mostly because of the doubling up as an m3 player/ large storage device, stealth and the ability to add to it with battery boxes / pre-amps and all that jazz once i've figured out how ot use and what all that stuff is  :o !

just worried i may have made a wrnd decison considering my funds are low and i still need a mic

would a t-shaped mini mic be okay to use for field recordings whilst i sort my finances out (which could take a while)

are there any examples of a irver h120 with t-mic (no batter box/preamp...) to listen to?

as always any help is much appreciated

one day i'll be able to give some useful input in this forum, i swears ;)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2008, 05:58:32 PM »
okay, just as an update... not that i think you paaaaarticularly care too much  :'(

just purchased an iriver h120... which i saw for a v. decent price, mostly because of the doubling up as an m3 player/ large storage device, stealth and the ability to add to it with battery boxes / pre-amps and all that jazz once i've figured out how ot use and what all that stuff is  :o !

just worried i may have made a wrnd decison considering my funds are low and i still need a mic

would a t-shaped mini mic be okay to use for field recordings whilst i sort my finances out (which could take a while)

are there any examples of a irver h120 with t-mic (no batter box/preamp...) to listen to?

I don't think you will go wrong with the h120. I have had one for only a month now and love it!

I know from first hand experience that in order to use this recorder effectively, you have to turn the gain up quite a bit especially for very quiet situations. This only means that if you're trying to capture audio at a low setting, the pre amps in the recorder may introduce some noise. I have a cheap t mic that came with my minidisc recorder...I never thought to try it out on the h120, I think I will do that tonight. it is absolutely useless on the minidisc recorder since it records TOO well--you get a lot of the disc spinning up. I don't think this will be a problem with the h120, though.

If you don't know about the rockbox software for the h120, go check it out.

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2008, 05:29:31 AM »
For a small, affordable, high quality, portable - I am just about to go for the new Olympus LS-10.

The above links to the American site (which give a rotatable view) - the UK suite is HERE.

Very nice little beastie - and *metal* not plastic.

Offline any slash

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2008, 07:09:21 AM »
For a small, affordable, high quality, portable - I am just about to go for the new Olympus LS-10.

The above links to the American site (which give a rotatable view) - the UK suite is HERE.

i have seen that, and as handy as that is, it is well out of my price range at the mo'

for me it was always a toss up with second hand stuff or a zoom h2

I don't think you will go wrong with the h120. I have had one for only a month now and love it!

I know from first hand experience that in order to use this recorder effectively, you have to turn the gain up quite a bit especially for very quiet situations. This only means that if you're trying to capture audio at a low setting, the pre amps in the recorder may introduce some noise. I have a cheap t mic that came with my minidisc recorder...I never thought to try it out on the h120, I think I will do that tonight. it is absolutely useless on the minidisc recorder since it records TOO well--you get a lot of the disc spinning up. I don't think this will be a problem with the h120, though.

cheers, i do feel a bit more confident about my whimsical purchase now, and hopefully i will be able to upgrade my kit in the future

i am definitely reading up on the rockbox and have watched a handy video tutorial for installingit (on youtube) just preparing for when my shipment comes in

quite excited now, havent recorded something for ages

(i've been literally TAPING things on dictaphone and off the radio, which is still loads of fun)

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2008, 10:10:21 AM »

i have seen that, and as handy as that is, it is well out of my price range at the mo'

Really?  I understood that it was a little over £200 street price (£270 retail) - I thought that pretty cheap.

Offline ambo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2008, 12:22:15 PM »
Below is a quote from gutbucket here on gearslutz regarding Olympus LS-10. I'm not sure if he's referring to internal mics or not.

"Stay away from the Olympus if you intend to use it for music.  Very hissy and absolutely thin sounding. 

Plus its price of $399.00 is ridiculous.  If it was priced for $199.00, then it would be different.  Engineered  for doing interviews (ENG), capturing lectures, board meetings and such.  Capitalizing on their wildly popular cassette handheld recorders, Olympus is using its "name brand" recognition to draw in buyers.  So Buyer Beware.

The Olympus LS-10 is the weakest sounding in its market, IMO.  Makes the Zoom H2 sound like a baby SD 722 at twice the price.  Yikes!"

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2008, 03:06:44 PM »
The quote actually came from me, not gutbucket.  And I posted it on this website.  I stand by my opinion.  I was very disappointed with the Olympus sound quality and price.  Go to the wingfield audio website and check out the sound samples.  They have samples of all the handheld recorders.  Let your own ears be the judge.   

Offline any slash

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2008, 03:53:37 PM »

Really?  I understood that it was a little over £200 street price (£270 retail) - I thought that pretty cheap.

unfortunately i have to ve very careful with my spending/saving at the moment and £270 is indeed out of my price range (god knows why i've decided to take uo such an expensive interest ;) )

got my iriver for £90 including shipping, and hope to get some sort of cheap t-mic, or if failing that will use my Sony ECM MS907 which is around somewhere

tough budget i know, doesn't realy give me too many options

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2008, 11:36:06 PM »
metal is not a stealthers friend. 

Plastic is better for some applications. 

just saying.
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline melbourne83

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2008, 02:49:03 PM »
I've purchased my LS-10 via buy now on ebay.com for only $290 + $40 shipping to europe(fuck yes I saved 230 EUR by buying this baby from the states- they sell it here for 450eur...). I was thinking about buying the H120, but ebay only had used ones wich would sell for 150eur... as I wanted to buy a recorder for a long time, I decided to go for the LS-10, even though I only wanted to get the cheapest shit that records sound. the mics i bought were a bargain too. I havent tested the LS-10 on the filed but will have my chance for a test this weekend...

Offline sunjan

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2008, 12:29:57 PM »

You won't get great results with a T-shaped mic on an Iriver! It will take up HDD noise. For half-decent results, you'd have to do the CF mod on the Iriver first. Even so, pretty much any handheld or tie-pin stereo mic would give you better results.

And of course Rockbox is a must. Welcome to Team Iriver!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.211 seconds with 64 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com