Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HHB Portadrive Mid Side recording can you help?  (Read 2985 times)

Offline andyNZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
HHB Portadrive Mid Side recording can you help?
« on: December 11, 2011, 07:56:53 PM »
My first post on this forum -- so hopefully in the right place.

I recently purchased a s/h HHB Portadrive. Nice machine (but chunky).  Anyway--  I can’t work out how the mid-side decoder on this machine expects the user to be connecting and panning the microphones in use.  I can't find anything in the manuals about this  (other than pointing out that a  m/side decoder can be set)

I know how I would do it on an external mixer with a  split cable but I can't seem to get the Portadrive to behave as I might expect.

Specifically if I wanted to apply mid side decoding to, say inputs 1 & 2 on the Busmix or Output mixer of the Portadrive

Which input (1 or 2?) would I connect the mid mic to? How would I pan that microphone in the mix for the HHB m/s decoder?
            And assuming I am standing behind my mics how would I pan the side mic on the remaining input assuming that front capsule of the side mic pointed to my left?

I’m getting some strange results on my machine and can’t work out whether it needs repair or I’m just not setting up correctly.

Many thanks if you can help at all?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: HHB Portadrive Mid Side recording can you help?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 04:48:33 PM »
Guesswork here - but I would expect the mid mic to go in the first channel, the side into the second, and the pans to the centre.  Presumably that will result in the mid and side mics being recorded "as is" for later processing in your DAW with something like Voxengo MSED vst, but while monitoring you would hear the 'decoded' sound.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 05:22:42 PM »
Guesswork here - but I would expect the mid mic to go in the first channel, the side into the second, and the pans to the centre.  Presumably that will result in the mid and side mics being recorded "as is" for later processing in your DAW with something like Voxengo MSED vst, but while monitoring you would hear the 'decoded' sound.

I agree, mid-mic is likely channel 1 and the side is ch2. This way, when it does the decode, the left and right will match what you're pointing at. (positive impulse = left)

As for the panning, I don't have a great answer. I'd be tempted to hard-pan them to keep them seperate because when you drop everything to the center pre-decode, it should create the left channel only, and do it post-decode and you end up with just the mid.

When in doubt, you could always record discrete tracks and decode in post-production like peter mentions. best of luck.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 05:24:18 PM »
Agreed on Mid = 1, Side = 2.

If you are decoding and recording that, my guess on panning is both up the middle, but I could be completely wrong.

If you crank the gain on the mid compared to the side it should sound very mono.  If you crank the gain on the side compared to the mid it should sound really wide.  I'd go with equal gains thinking that might be approx an XY90 output.

That's a hell of a recorder.  I'm jealous.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 11:29:44 PM »
If you want to record the discrete MS components using two channel recording allowing you to adjust the stereo width in your DAW in post then record the mid mic to channel one only and the side (figure-eight) mic to channel two only. 

Position your mics by monitoring only the mid mic for optimal pickup, this can be done by using a simple headphone adapter cable that sends channel 1 to both ears of your headphones if the recorder doesn't provide you with this option.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline andyNZ

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 02:43:42 AM »
Many thanks folks for your all your input. I've taken the ideas above and played around some and seems that on this recorder you pan hard left and hard right when using a pair with the mid side decoder engaged.  Many thanks for your help guys. Much appreciated.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 07:25:51 AM »
To be sure, phone HHB after Christmas.  I'm sure they would be helpful.  Heh, I see Richard Kershaw is still with them.  I worked with him in their (then) editing suite at HHB back in 1984.  Many, many years...!

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 08:57:26 AM »
Hello-
   The pans on the recorder MUST be panned hard left and hard right or both channels will record the same signal.

Offline andyNZ

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 06:18:31 PM »
Many thanks all. I have subsequently had a reply from HHB and yes, panned hard left and right is the way to go.  Very, very helpful the folks at HHB.
Loving my Portadrive-- I'm a novice recorder and very lucky to get my hands on one of these: kind of old tech now I guess but  more than enough features for me and a really nice sounding unit to my ears-- very, very quiet recording and monitoring and the recordings sound warm and full but with good detail. To my ears, as I say. I've not got a lot to compare it to but it is a significant improvement over my Motu Traveler  :) Thanks all.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com