Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help needed finding an alternate Tascam DR-680 Shoulder Strap  (Read 4728 times)

Offline AndyGLA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I have a Tascam DR-680 I will be taking into the mountains to use for film dialogue.
The included shoulder strap has plastic connectors which don't inspire confidence in me.

Is the strap connector on the DR680 a universal type where I can buy an alternate strap that will be stronger?

- Thanks

Offline George2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Help needed finding an alternate Tascam DR-680 Shoulder Strap
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 12:12:10 PM »
Agree with George above - you really need a bag, not a strap for the recorder.  There are a lot of options, and you don't need to spend big bucks.  I could write a lot about straps, but the bag comes first.  Or maybe you have a bag and have not mentioned it.  A lot of cheap bags have cheap strap attachment points.  That does not mean they are weak, but...

From your post, I can't tell the circumstances of this mountain shoot.  Whatever you do, test it.  Hike with it in the area around your home in the exact config, and duration of use, you will use in the mountains.   Same thing goes for rain and wind.  If those mountains get rain and wind (heh), you better be well tested and ready.

There is the difference between wanting to make a recording and absolutely needing to make a recording.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 12:20:03 PM »
Third on the Portabrace bag. I love mine, and I only have the recorder over my shoulder from the car to the section. I'd think I'd really love it if I had to stand with it over my shoulder for hours.

That strap is super comfy.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 07:08:31 PM »
I have a Tascam DR-680 I will be taking into the mountains to use for film dialogue.
The included shoulder strap has plastic connectors which don't inspire confidence in me.

Is the strap connector on the DR680 a universal type where I can buy an alternate strap that will be stronger?

- Thanks

4th + on the Portabrace bag.  Well worth the price.
 . . . but there is a strap:

http://www.portabrace.com/products/straps-and-accessories/camera-shoulder-straps/229-medium-duty-flex-straps
http://www.portabrace.com/products/straps-and-accessories/camera-shoulder-straps/232-heavy-duty-suede-shoulder-strap
http://www.fullcompass.com/product_image.php?imageid=54471
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Offline AndyGLA

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 11:34:18 PM »
Thanks for all the help.

I have the Tascam Case for the DR680, but I was concerned about the cheap plastic connectors on the end of the strap.

After reading the responses I looked up the Porta Brace AR-DR680 Case, but it's out of stock at B&H. I'm going to look for it locally this week.

I'm also glad to see that there are straps available to connect to the unusual connectors on the DR680 which I guess are similar to what you would find on a guitar.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 05:21:50 PM »
If you can't find it locally, you can always purchase direct from Portabrace http://www.portabrace.com/products/audio/recorders/24-audio-recorder-cases-tascam
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline sk-1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 08:20:05 AM »
You are right to discard the strap they supply with the DR680. They used the same one on the HDP2 and mine snapped during a take on a film shoot. The recorder dropped straight down and the broken end of the strap whipped over my shoulder and hit me in the eye. Worst accessory ever, zero stars.

I've now got a Petrol bag for my 680. It's a PS601 which is quite reasonably priced and has lots of config options. I'm not keen on the colour though (orange and black) - Portabrace wins in that regard.

Offline AndyGLA

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 03:04:42 PM »
Well I did two things.

I purchased the Porta Brace AR-DR680 Case for $163. Luckily I found it at Coffey Sound in LA.

I also purchased a Petrol PL2002 Shoulder Strap from B&H. I wasn't familiar with the type of connector.
Petrol calls it a "Sony-type" ...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/686552-REG/Petrol_PL2002.html
Porta Brace calls it a "CAM-C" ...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/65609-REG/Porta_Brace_HB_40_CAM_C_HB_40_CAM_C_Shoulder_Strap.html

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com