Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Soundforge pitch correction for a cassette master?  (Read 8192 times)

Offline sbernstein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Soundforge pitch correction for a cassette master?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 07:07:36 PM »
No sweat  :)
I have CuBase 2, but I don't see a plug-in that'll work.
I'll look for a plug-in that'll correct the speed difference
Sound Forge 10 has 2 different stretching/compressing options.  If you're on a PC you can download a fully working version for free for 30 days.

Audacity is free and it works (I believe) on macs and PCs.  It has similar time stretch (as well as pitch shift) options.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 07:31:08 PM »
Thanks Scott! I just found the Time Stretching feature in WaveLab 5. I did a test. It allows me to work on percentages. My test was to plug in 100.245% and it got very very close. Within 1 second. I'll tweak it until I get the files to align exactly. It allows for very fine adjustment, so I might get it down to exact samples. I also turned off Preserve Pitch.

That should do it? hopefully...
Thanks for the help.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline sbernstein

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 07:33:58 PM »
Nice work!

I had to do this for mastering a matrix of 2 digitally-recorded sources whose clocks obviously did not sync up.  After an hour one source was .06 seconds longer.  Clearly not much, but for a matrix, it became obvious very quickly when one was out of sync.  I time stretched one of the sources by .06 seconds and then it was very close (though I still had to do some minor nips and tucks of a few samples here and there between songs to make them align properly).

Offline Chuck

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 09:07:57 AM »
One tinny little problem I thought of though... Digital clocks run differently too. So, if I synced my analog recording to one digital recording it would be a certain length. If I sync it to another digital source the length will change.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline sbernstein

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 11:23:18 AM »
One tinny little problem I thought of though... Digital clocks run differently too. So, if I synced my analog recording to one digital recording it would be a certain length. If I sync it to another digital source the length will change.
This is true.

But the error margin on digital clocks (like I was talking about earlier) is very small.  Like I said, I saw about .06 seconds difference over an hour and a few minutes. That's a pretty good margin of error....

Offline Chuck

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 12:46:57 PM »
Old thread, I know. But, has speed correction advanced more than this? I'm getting ready to do some more cassette transfers and wonder if there is a better method to do this now?

Offline Gene Poole

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 09:50:16 AM »
Old thread, I know. But, has speed correction advanced more than this? I'm getting ready to do some more cassette transfers and wonder if there is a better method to do this now?

Better method than what?  Several were mentioned in this thread.

The problem is that you have no way of knowing how far off your cassette's original recorder (and any generational recorders in the chain) may have been.  You need some other reference; either find some notes in the song that you know and compare them with a freq analysis, or a known source with a good clock to compare it to.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 10:02:46 AM »

Better method than what?  Several were mentioned in this thread.

The problem is that you have no way of knowing how far off your cassette's original recorder (and any generational recorders in the chain) may have been.  You need some other reference; either find some notes in the song that you know and compare them with a freq analysis, or a known source with a good clock to compare it to.

The work flow using the Stretch feature in WaveLab is tedious and I wonder if there is better software out there now. I'll be doing this again soon and any new software or workflow advice would be appreciated.

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 11:05:14 AM »

The work flow using the Stretch feature in WaveLab is tedious and I wonder if there is better software out there now. I'll be doing this again soon and any new software or workflow advice would be appreciated.

Audition/Cool Edit has pitch bender which is really easy to apply.  The hard part (as noted) is knowing the offset...  If you know an end time you're aiming for it does tell you exactly how long the segment will become in that edit window so you can adjust up or down to a traget length before applying the offset. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 11:07:24 AM by bombdiggity »
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com