Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CD recovery tools?  (Read 2569 times)

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
CD recovery tools?
« on: September 17, 2014, 12:51:11 PM »
This might have gone in the TSKB section, however, it IS a computer related topic:
I have a CD-r from one of my clients which has "mysteriously" gone "blank". Does anyone have a product/links to a disc type recovery tool?

I am familiar with other types of system recovery tools, but can't seem to locate one to do this.
factoids:
1] This disc was being used by his wife to "copy/store" recipes. Apparently she was able to continue adding files to it via Windows Disc burning ALTHOUGH it is a CD-R NOT a CD-RW.
2] Using Roxio Creater DE 10.3 I can see the TOC, which indicates there are ten files with aproximately 60 MB worth of data (total).
3] The disc info claims that it is 199 MB
4] the files can't be copied as it gives me this error, saying it is "drag-to-disc media":
Not all discs can be copied. For example, some movie and music discs are created with a copy-protection feature. CDs created with packet-writing software such as Roxio Drag-to-Disc or Microsoft’s Live File System in Windows Vista (ed: my system is Windows 7) also cannot be copied using the Copy Disc project.

Be sure the disc you are trying to copy is not copy-protected and is not a CD created with packet-writing software.

Roxio Drag-to-Disc, Windows Live File System, and similar products allow you to copy files to a recordable disc by dragging the files to the disc window or icon.

My assumption is the last time she added a recipe she may have burned some white space and/or "finalized" the disc or something to that effect.

Does anyone have any tools or advice as to how she could recover these files from this disc? (BTW, I asked my client- NO- she never copied them to her HDD only to this disc!- instructions for the future have been given!)
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: CD recovery tools?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 01:33:24 PM »
If you have access to a system with two optical drives (either internals or one internal/one external), try booting from a live linux .iso disc. Once Linux loads see if the files are then readable. If they are you should be able to copy them to the hard drive or a usb stick.

I have no idea if this will work but it's the first way I would try to retrieve the files.

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 01:57:07 PM »
If you have access to a system with two optical drives (either internals or one internal/one external), try booting from a live linux .iso disc. Once Linux loads see if the files are then readable. If they are you should be able to copy them to the hard drive or a usb stick.

I have no idea if this will work but it's the first way I would try to retrieve the files.
Hmmmmm, good idea. I usa an Ubuntu disc for this type of thing, but didn't think through enough to realize it may work for CD's as well as hard drive recovery.
THANKS
music IS love

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 02:27:09 PM »
I could be totally off on this but to me it sounds like one possibility could be:

1) She dragged the recipes over to the disc. Her windows version queued them up to be burned but she never really burned them to disc.
2) Somehow, the TOC shows on the CD-R
3) You now have the CD in YOUR computer which does not have the queued files.
4) The error "drag to disc media" could mean that the system could not find the files that were dragged to the queue but never burned.

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 02:12:23 PM »
I could be totally off on this but to me it sounds like one possibility could be:

1) She dragged the recipes over to the disc. Her windows version queued them up to be burned but she never really burned them to disc.
2) Somehow, the TOC shows on the CD-R
3) You now have the CD in YOUR computer which does not have the queued files.
4) The error "drag to disc media" could mean that the system could not find the files that were dragged to the queue but never burned.
Also a good take on this. Add to your logic with the fact that their (personal) PC has been losing its' connection to the display and they have been shutting it down (unexpectedly in M$ parlance) and voila', you get unreadable disc. I have had that PC on my bench 3-4 times and keep sending it back with a "can't recreate, video works great". We have tried the full gamut of troubleshooting, finally giving him all new video/power cables to no avail.
Thanks for this idea, I am going to tell him to check that. I am slo going to figure out if I have a machine which will do flipp's idea booting from my Ubuntu disc.
music IS love

Offline GLouie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 04:47:50 PM »
Many years ago I used Isobuster several times to recover several audio CD-Rs that had various problems, such as power cut during recording and before finalizing. It worked well, but I have not looked at Isobuster for years, so I don't know if the free version is still any good or not.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 07:04:57 PM »
follow-up to my post - I originally mentioned having a system with two optical drives then if the files are there transferring them to a hard-drive or usb stick. I then realized you could boot from a usb stick and view the apparently fubarred disc in a system with only one optical drive and if the files are there then transfer them to a hard-drive or a second usb stick.

or try the other good suggestions above

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com