Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stupid UA-5 Phantom Power Button, Anyone Mod This Yet?  (Read 5562 times)

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
Stupid UA-5 Phantom Power Button, Anyone Mod This Yet?
« on: June 01, 2004, 12:48:15 PM »
Do to the all day festival environment  8)  I inadvertently bumped the phantom button killing signal two different times will setting levels for new acts.  Although I wasn't clear-minded, it was still way to easy to bump that sensitive phantom button.  Anyone have any ideas on a cover (flip open cover) or moding the insides to always run Phantom to the XLRs?

Thanks

Brian
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 12:48:57 PM by bhadella »
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline ChrisV

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
Re:Stupid UA-5 Phantom Power Button, Anyone Mod This Yet?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 01:59:05 PM »
I've actually had more problems with bumping the power switch off myself...but could see how it could happen with the phantom power button too because I did the same thing with the SW Monitor button once(which was a big deal to me because with my led level monitors it screwed me up thinking I was too low of levels and I ran too hot).
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 10:17:52 AM »
While borrowing a UA-5 I had managed to bump the phantom power button while adjusting levels a few times.  I found it extremely annoying...
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 12:18:49 PM »
Tiny nobs right next to a very sensitive button = trouble
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 02:19:05 PM »
I removed my power switch when i was inside the case to do the digi-mod.  As for protecting the Phantom button it would be hard to put a box around it (like on a power strip) but w/ some CA glue and clear plastic (i'm thinkin peices a RJ45 jack after a vice grip attack) you could do some thing like this.  XLR is the Right XLR input, VOL is the Right Volume knob, PH is the phantom button.  Looks like i got a project for tonight.  I'll snap a few pics.

XLR                  -----|
XLR      VOL      PH  |
XLR                  -----|
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

BobW

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 01:51:20 PM »
1) Put both power and phantom where you want them.
2) Caulk them in position with clear silicone (RTV) sealant. (leave a small blob on top)

Clear silicone will usually peel off without doing damage when you want to put it back to original (reason for the blob)

I haven't tried to peel mine, so I won't swear it won't do any damage, but it will save shows.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2004, 09:06:27 PM »
2) Caulk them in position with clear silicone (RTV) sealant. (leave a small blob on top)
I think the phantom is a logic switch - you can't fix it in place because it needs to pressed each time.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline fozzy

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 01:43:02 AM »
I think the phantom is a logic switch - you can't fix it in place because it needs to pressed each time.

This is correct

Power on: Phantom OFF, Monitor ON.

You need to turn on phantom each time the unit is powered on and off. technology  >:(

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 04:36:15 PM »
I removed my power switch when i was inside the case to do the digi-mod.  [snip]

I'm assuming that you put in a different switch? Or did you just connect the wires and it is automatically on when the battery is plugged in? Either way, I'd be interested in pictures.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline fozzy

Re: Stupid UA-5 Phantom Power Button, Anyone Mod This Yet?
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 11:35:47 AM »
The blue plastic button is actually removable and there is a little switch on the PCB.  I removed the switch cover.  There is  now a whole where the button used to be and i can stick my finger inside the unit to hit the switch.

Before:

|
     |
-------
|          --|
|          --|
-------
     |
     |

After

|
    |

_ _|
       -- - |

|
    |

BobW

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2004, 07:33:04 PM »

So I peeled the Phantom switch RTV and all is well.
No damage, 'cept to my pride and sensibilty.   ;D

The power switch is always on, phantom might get a grommet or an O-ring, if I can get it to stay on.
Not much button to work with.

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2004, 10:57:56 AM »
I wouldn't mind seeing a clear plastic cover mod for the power button... kinda like what you see covering the nuke launch button in movies. I accidentally turned my UA-5 off while recording this past weekend and had to restart my machine. Thankfully it was while the band was still getting set up.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2004, 02:44:48 PM »
I have trouble getting the phantom power to turn on.  I have to push the little button just right to get power.  Kinda go at it from below and straight down the middle.  Same for shutting it off.  At first I found this very aggrevating but now it's all good.  Practice makes perfect. ;)

I can't think of a way to mod it, but heres an idea.  Get a soda bottle lid or a beer bottle lid(better since it's smaller) and a small peice of gaffers tape.  After turning on the phantom power tape the lid over the button. Position it so you can still turn the gain knobs and your problem is solved.   
AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2004, 03:42:39 PM »
that is an excellent idea with the beer bottlecap.  +T

:)
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

JasonGreen

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2004, 06:23:14 PM »
I've actually had more problems with bumping the power switch off myself...but could see how it could happen with the phantom power button too because I did the same thing with the SW Monitor button once(which was a big deal to me because with my led level monitors it screwed me up thinking I was too low of levels and I ran too hot).

Flew to Florida from Seattle to tape DMB.  Set my mics, levels etc, and started recording.  Got to the end of the show and realized I bumped the UA-5 off.  Now I'm one of those freaks that checks the equipment every 20 mins.  I was really pissed at myself.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com