Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

which pre would you choose to go with km184's & DPA 4061's

V3
SD MP-2 (or variants)
Sonosax sx-m2
Aerco MP-2

Author Topic: Pre (choices) HELP  (Read 4992 times)

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
Pre (choices) HELP
« on: January 26, 2006, 05:51:57 PM »
ok...here is where i need thoughts/help ideas, whatever...the upgrade bug has bitten, and it looks like i finally sold my mics and almost the whole rig...so..next 4 me is???

I have a lil extra cash coming my way...looking for a new pre I basically have three choices, all with ups/downs

I plan on upgrading my mics ( i htink to km184's) and i have 4061's for stealth
I could keep the ps2 for stealth, and just go the V3 route, or I could get one of the other two pre's and get a sbm1(or use the a/d in the microtracker) for about hte same price and move the ps-2

V3 - we all know its a great pre/ad but not really stealthable ( tons of stuff on archive and it sounds great)
sonosax SX-M2 - nice pre and stealthable ( a few on archive..sounds great)
SD MP-2(or variants) i think my least favorite right now (but i havent heard the Aerco with the km184s
Aerco Mp-2 again, nice pre and stealthable (none on archive) {i did find a few with scheops and MG's..but no neumanns or dpa's  :'( )
UA-5 T+ mod...sorry, forgot to post this one on the poll....

thanx
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 06:16:58 PM by RaZoRbAcK »
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
Re: Pre (choices) HELP
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 06:11:40 PM »
I can hook you up with some Neumann>Aerco shows. Drop me a PM (may not be able to respond until tomorrow....)
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 06:13:36 PM »
I can hook you up with some Neumann>Aerco shows. Drop me a PM (may not be able to respond until tomorrow....)

+t thanx!  pm sent
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 06:24:43 PM »
i voted v3... i think the other pre's might be too warm for the 184s.

i would really vote ua-5 t+ mod b/c that way you arent dumping more money in the the pre than the mics... i think that the v3 will show the limitations on the 184's quicker... and then you have to buy new mics too..  ;D

i know nothing
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 06:26:58 PM »
oh yeah, congrats on finally moving those audix...  ;D

i think they are great mics... you would think it was leposry or something with how long it took to unload.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 10:47:17 AM »

i would really vote ua-5 t+ mod b/c that way you arent dumping more money in the the pre than the mics... i think that the v3 will show the limitations on the 184's quicker... and then you have to buy new mics too..  ;D

i know nothing

arent the 184's and 140's about the same sonically?  maybe its just my playback (which i should probably be upgrading instead)..but other than the switchable caps and actives, i don't here a whole lot of difference.  i know the v3 is superb..but it is actually alot more money than the other choices...sx and aerco for ~700, v3 for 1100$, thats a MT's difference...d'oh..decisions decisions

i see alot of voting...and only one opinion posted...post plz!!  ;D ;D
Auditory
it's magic 

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 11:12:15 AM »

i know nothing

arent the 184's and 140's about the same sonically? 

Yessir  . the 140 is exactly the same capsule and circuitry as the km184, but includes a pad and the ability to change capsules.They sound identical to me. The mma6000 sounds just sick with the 4061s, and the Aerco would be a great match with the 184s, IMHO. my vote is the aerco of those..
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 11:15:21 AM by Teddy »

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 11:25:20 AM »
I voted for the Aerco.  There aren't many shows around to listen to, but I'd take Nick up on his offer.  I'm willing to bet they sound great together.  It's a great open rig pre & a great stealth rig pre.  Also, not many people run them, so it would be a different flavor.  If you end up not liking it you can always sell it in the Yard & try something different!
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 11:48:46 AM »
i put my vote in for the Sonosax sx-m. but i think Aerco MP-2 would be a really nice match too

Raphael

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 11:57:42 AM »

supposedly they are not...try doing a few searches as I can't remember the specific threads, but many people have posted that the 140s are sonically superior. but if you can't hear the difference than it's a moot point what others have to say

and congrats on the sale
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

cmoorevt

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 01:40:47 PM »
Aerco vote here.  I fairly certain that Warner (formerly of Terrapin Tapes, now with Neumann USA) uses one with his Neumann mics.  I've heard some of those recordings and they sound excellent.  Only issue is it has no digital output, so if you do use it with an MT you may run into some issues with the MT's supposedly inferior analog input circuitry.

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 03:52:00 PM »

i know nothing

Yessir  . the 140 is exactly the same capsule and circuitry as the km184, but includes a pad and the ability to change capsules.They sound identical to me.

I personally think they sound a bit different.

EDIT: Oh, I've always liked the 184/140 > SX-M2 sources too :)
Retired Taper

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 07:34:37 AM »
184's and 140's are different.  they're a lot alike, but theres a difference there if you listen for it.  To me, the 184's sound a bit crispy, the 140s sound smoother.  if that makes any sense....

and from my experience, the v3 sounds superb with both of them.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 08:06:08 AM »
thanx guys...i went sd mp-2 as 325$ was just too hard to pass up...
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 11:23:24 AM »

supposedly they are not...try doing a few searches as I can't remember the specific threads, but many people have posted that the 140s are sonically superior. but if you can't hear the difference than it's a moot point what others have to say

and congrats on the sale

I would be surprised of the 184 and the 140 use the same cap, shocked really; the 184 recordings I have heard even with a sweet sounding V3 are just not detailed enough for my ears, so I guess if these mics are the same I would feel the same way about the 140's too

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com