Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Am I hearing my UA5 or my mics?  (Read 3826 times)

Offline stvgray

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Start at the beginning....
Am I hearing my UA5 or my mics?
« on: February 16, 2004, 02:25:11 AM »
Newbie question....

I've just recorded my second show with my new rig after upgrading from AT822/Sony MD to Tascam DAP-1/home-digimod UA5/Oktava MK012s.

What I'm hearing is that the sound at my ears during the show and the sound going to tape are very different.

Seems like there's a lot more information in the upper mids/highs than my ears are picking up. It's as if the room were a lot more reverberant and brighter than my ears think it is. At the bluegrass show I did last night, this made the vocals and instruments sound confused and more distant than the show actually sounded.

So ... is this:
-- Just the way it always is with taping? (I always heard something similar with the 822/Sony MD rig)
-- The sound of my MK012s -- an emphasis in the "presence" or  "brightness" range, or maybe a depression in the warmth range?
-- The sound of my UA5 -- and perhaps the reason the Oades do a "warm" mod?

AKG 460s - DIY digi-mod UA5 - JB3 or DAP-1

Jason B

Re:Am I hearing my UA5 or my mics?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 08:22:06 AM »
What mic configuration where you running at the bluegrass show? How far back from the stage and PA were you? These may have influenced the sound of your recording.

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 08:57:23 AM »
i have been to a few shows that i thought didnt sound quite right while i was there, but after listening to the show on tape i thought it sounded superb

ymmv
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 09:02:17 AM »
i have been to a few shows that i thought didnt sound quite right while i was there, but after listening to the show on tape i thought it sounded superb

ymmv

yep and vice-a-versa.

unless you are running binaurals, your ears will rarely hear what your mics are hearing

the water's clean and innocent

Offline stvgray

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 09:05:26 AM »
I was running X-Y about 40 feet back, in a big hotel ballroom. The X-Y config at that distance wound up pointing the mics just outside the mains.

Jason B

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 09:27:01 AM »
I was running X-Y about 40 feet back, in a big hotel ballroom. The X-Y config at that distance wound up pointing the mics just outside the mains.

The XY configuration may have caused the result you explained. XY often emphasizes the higher frequencies while lowering the low end. Also, with the room being a hotel ballroom, there was more than likely not nearly enough acoustical treatments on the walls to prevent reverb. It may have been loud enough to mask this to your ears, but the tape may tell the true story.

zowie

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 09:40:04 AM »
Especially hapeens when your mics are placed somewhere that your ears aren't.

There's a very small club I tape in where the jazz stand-up bass just overloads the place, but no similar problem on the tape.

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 01:22:54 PM »
how high was your stand?

some folks are hell bent on running their stand at 10+ feet all the time, a lot of times this is inappropriate given the setup of the pa. I like to run around 7-8 feet.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 01:41:42 PM »
^^so true, so true
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 02:01:01 PM »

The XY configuration may have caused the result you explained. XY often emphasizes the higher frequencies while lowering the low end. Also, with the room being a hotel ballroom, there was more than likely not nearly enough acoustical treatments on the walls to prevent reverb. It may have been loud enough to mask this to your ears, but the tape may tell the true story.

Agreed, XY always seems to brighten things up a bit to me. I like it for bassy/boomy shows (and onstage), but not otherwise. ORTF has always sounded very accurate to how the show and room actually sounded (for better or worse).

Maybe next time try running a near coincident config like DIN, ORTF, or just point em' outside the stacks, this should give a warmer sound.

Good luck,
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline stvgray

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2004, 06:36:06 PM »
Yeah, I'll do that -- try DIN or ORTF. Never have used either one.

Height -- I was only up about 6 feet, and the staff tried to run me out because people behind were complaining. So I suggested higher, and he said no -- so I suggested lower, and he said okay. So most of the show I was running about the same height as my head, as I was sitting in a folding chair.

Couldn't tell any difference in brightness between the two heights, or it was too subtle to pick it out.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2004, 02:33:45 PM »
Can you post a little sample?  Sounds like a potential l/r phase issue.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

marc0789

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 03:29:41 PM »
I very rarely run x-y, even in shitty venues, unless it's clearly wretched AND has the potential to be super bassy. Crappy acoustics and bright sound, look out. Some awful results.

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2004, 12:53:29 AM »
arent octava's notorious for being a little middy, and have a bit more high end?  i don't know, but i've found some tapes of shows like that are simular, bluegrass shows are weird to tape, for me at least, havn't come out like i wished they had...
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2004, 06:18:01 PM »
stv, did you get the info you needed?  here or at oade?

jr
we all live downstream.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.188 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com