Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 DIY Mod Jumper wire Question  (Read 2862 times)

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
UA-5 DIY Mod Jumper wire Question
« on: March 22, 2004, 11:41:41 PM »
What would be the ideal gauge wire to make the jumper out of? Telephone (what Traderdave used) is 24-28 right? Would 30 be too small? Would 22 be too large? Are most people just ripping up phone cords?  ???
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

rabhan

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:UA-5 DIY Mod Jumper wire Question
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 12:00:53 AM »
i used a strand of cat5 cable.

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 12:20:08 AM »
Figure I'd finally come out of lurking since I plan on doing the same thing when I get mine soon.    So I'd too love to hear the suggestions on which gauge wire to use for that.

Also...which way would you guys recommend on doing the other step?  Cutting the trace, or by removing the resistor?

http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 01:05:03 AM »
just get a thin wire, any gauge will work if you ask me.  you're gonna be soldering it to a little trace tho, so if you're using 4 guage wire, its gonna be a lot harder.  does that make sense?

i wouldn't remove the resistor.  if you just cut the trace, you can (with some practice) solder the trace back together and have the ua-5 work like normal again.

if you've never soldered before...practice!  my first soldering project was my xbox and messed that up so bad it wouldn't even turn on.  however, i was relentless and worked on it nonstop for like 3 days and finally got it to work like normal again along with the mod.  but i was really worried for those 3 days.  its not a fun feeling to have.

ed

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 01:30:32 AM »
Traces can be repaired with a conductive pen too.  I recently used on to fix up a burnt out trace on a UA-5.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 08:37:35 AM »
I tore up an old phone cord for mine.  I did plan on using a strand of cat5, but once i got inside and noticed how SMALL everything actually was, I felt like the cat5 maybe a little to heavy, so I went smaller. I am sure both would work, but if you are not great at soldering, I would choose a lighter gauge, so you don't try to put too much solder and end up messing your board up.
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 11:06:04 AM »
Cat5 & Cat3/silver tend to be the same AWG... usually 24, unless its really crappy cable.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 12:40:13 PM »
i used a stiff piece of cat5, not the braided type.  made it into a U shape.  soldered the right side while holding the wire w/ some needle nose pliers.  Then did a little bending so the left side was directly on the spot and hit it w/ a little flux and some solder.

be sure to tin you wires and I also recommend using a "electroinic safe" flux (liquid or paste).
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 12:44:28 PM »
flux is great, it'll make the solder stick to the board without any hassle.  definitely a must have when soldering.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 01:10:14 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com