Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stealth recording ... cards or omnis?  (Read 7908 times)

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
Re: Stealth recording ... cards or omnis?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 02:57:28 AM »
I have to say, I am a big fan of omnis. I generally listen through headphones, and there is something about cards that makes it feel artificial--like there is nothing behind you, like you are in a two-dimensional instead of three-dimensional space. Obviously if someone is gabbing away loudly behind me, I wish I was using cards, but if it happens I try to move. Or, of course, have them assassinated by my fulltime Ninja associate.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 11:01:50 PM »
All other things being equal--which they're not, and I'll get to that in a moment--if you want to record in stereo but for whatever reason you can't space the two microphones or microphone capsules more than a few inches apart, then directional microphones or a unitary "stereo microphone" would normally be the fairly obvious choice.

However, stealth recording may require you to keep the microphones or capsules very close to your body--and doing so fundamentally changes the way a microphone picks up sound since it obstructs all high- and upper-mid-frequency sound waves for least one major direction of arrival. In those conditions an omni is no longer omni and a cardioid is no longer cardioid, so any normal discussion of preferred patterns and setups no longer really applies; it's a separate realm.

One thing that might matter a lot is that pressure transducers (= typical single-pattern, single-diaphragm omni condensers) are FAR more resistant to handling noise or any other form of solid-borne sound than pressure-gradient transducers (= all directional microphones, as well as most switchable-pattern microphones even in their omni setting). I mean there could be a 20 dB difference in noise pickup. Same thing with wind noise, if that's a potential issue.

But if you're going to use omnis close to one another, you'll need some sort of acoustically opaque (dense) object between them (which could be your head or some other bodily structure of similar or larger size). Otherwise you'll be making a nearly mono recording. And even when microphones are classed as "omnidirectional," if they're of the usual size (e.g. 3/4" diameter) or larger, then they are directional at high frequencies, and should be aimed outward from center if they're being used within (say) a foot or two of each other for stereo recording.

--best regards
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 01:34:37 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 11:09:54 PM »
So someone's glasses could work but if its spaced further, it would be better. Is that a good way of recording it?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 10:50:55 AM »
I always do cards, unless...

--I'm at stage lip
--And its a quiet crowd

Which is almost never so the DPAs go un-used. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 12:57:48 PM »
I'm with Belexes on this one (as usual).  Omnis are better in your circumstance since you're up close, however, as others have mentioned the crowds can be rather mixed as you get up close so standing back and using cards will usually get you a better recording.  I generally prefer to stand a bit further back to get better clarity/separation in my recordings so I usually run the cards.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 06:11:45 PM »
MK5's... enough said :)

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 04:47:22 AM »
As everyone has said, there are pro's and con's re both types of mic, but in my experience, the most faithful reproduction of what i heard in the show has always come from good omni's, in an ideal world they will nearly always give you the best results.....

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2011, 10:17:05 AM »
As everyone has said, there are pro's and con's re both types of mic, but in my experience, the most faithful reproduction of what i heard in the show has always come from good omni's, in an ideal world they will nearly always give you the best results.....

I lean this way.  Though I primarily record in situations where I can sort of stack the deck in my favor to get the best results with them.  One big part of that is extending the idea described above by DSatz of using baffling to change a microphone's polar pattern, and by extention, the directional pattern of a combined multi-microphone array.  One unique twist (as far as I'm aware) is that I use four omnis, each baffled to favor a different direction, which gives me much of what I would like from directional mics, while retaining the sound and usage characteristics I prefer with omnis.  Doing that gives me additional control over the directional aspects of the combined array when mixing to stereo.  It also makes surround recording practical with limited spacing between omni capsules of just 20" at most on the longest axis between mics, and just 8" on the shortest axis.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 02:06:02 AM »
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 09:36:42 PM »
MK 7 ... enough said

(but only kidding ...)
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 09:50:48 PM »
lol. I love you guys.... but not as much as I love my 5's ;-)

Offline landshark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 02:17:48 PM »
you'll need some sort of acoustically opaque (dense) object between them (which could be your head

I'd say "dense" certainly describes many of our heads...<grin>
AKG 461's / 463's OR Senn MKH 8040's > MR1000 (Busman mod) or Shure FP24 (aka MixPre) > MR1 (open)
Coresounds Binaurals > CChurch 9100 > MR1 OR AKG CK1x/2x/3x > Deneke P20 > MR1 (low profile)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com