Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Upgrading from luxes to AKGs?  (Read 6294 times)

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
Upgrading from luxes to AKGs?
« on: April 25, 2005, 10:42:51 PM »
Hey all.... been recently thinking of upgrading my rig to get some AKG 393s or whatever is in my price range. I currently run Superlux CM-H8K/Cs > Digimod UA-5 > JB3. I really like my rig and don't wanna really spend the money if I don't need to. I have been checking out this UM show (link below) which features the luxes for set 1 and AKG 480s (should be nicer sounding than 393s right?) for set 2... same rig otherwise, same location, etc. I think that the luxes actually sound nicer. Crisper highs, and more rounded low-end. Does anyone else agree? I'm starting to think it's not worth it to throw down $600+ for mics that just aren't significantly better than these luxes... any comments? Thanks!

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=19815

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
Re: Upgrading from luxes to AKGs?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 10:46:19 PM »
Ill say this. My first mic were the luxes, I liked them a lot. Moved to 391s last summer and I loved them! Went to TLs for a bit, and now Im back to 391/3s. I just love em! I definitely think its worth the upgrade, just for that AKG bass! ;D

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 10:50:15 PM »
Do you think that "AKG Bass" is worth an extra $500? I guess you must ahaha.... there's a set of 391/3s in the yard sale right now that I'm acheing to acquire but I just can't decide if it's worth it.. stupid decisions.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 10:50:53 PM »
If you are happy with what you have why upgrade? If you think the luxes sound better than the 480s, then I don't think you'd be happier with the 390s.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 10:52:08 PM »
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Ideally, I'd wanna meet someone at a show and swap mics for a set or something.

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 10:56:06 PM »
listen to your ears what do they tell you. 
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 11:00:32 PM »
I guess I'll hold off on any impulse spending for a while now.... thanks guys. If you know of any other good comparisons, let me know.

Offline Swampy

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 11:29:36 PM »
Thats the truth! My Wilco tapes with Luxes > Mixpad > MD from 6/21/03 are the best tapes I've ever made, no shit! Ill put thoes up against ANY tapes from that night! Just go with what your ears tell you, mine said "buy AKGs bich" ;D

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 09:38:26 AM »
Thats the truth! My Wilco tapes with Luxes > Mixpad > MD from 6/21/03 are the best tapes I've ever made, no shit! Ill put thoes up against ANY tapes from that night! Just go with what your ears tell you, mine said "buy AKGs bich" ;D

bring it.  let's have a shootout.  your pull from that night vs mine.  i would love to compare!

h
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 09:44:09 AM »
I went back to the AKG's after other mics, and I have been happy with them all along, however I am happy because I trusted my ears.  If you like your lux's better than AKG's then stay with them.  You will end up going back most likely. 

If you happen to be at any of the same festivals as I over the summer your welcome to borrow my akg set for a comparison.

mics & cameras

Offline Swampy

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 11:19:34 AM »

bring it. let's have a shootout. your pull from that night vs mine. i would love to compare!

h
Sweet! Shoot me your address bitch ;D

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 11:23:41 AM »
tumbleweeds roll....[que showdown music]....1,2,3-DRAW!

And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Online Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 11:44:22 AM »
Hey all.... been recently thinking of upgrading my rig to get some AKG 393s or whatever is in my price range. I currently run Superlux CM-H8K/Cs > Digimod UA-5 > JB3. I really like my rig and don't wanna really spend the money if I don't need to. I have been checking out this UM show (link below) which features the luxes for set 1 and AKG 480s (should be nicer sounding than 393s right?) for set 2... same rig otherwise, same location, etc. I think that the luxes actually sound nicer. Crisper highs, and more rounded low-end. Does anyone else agree? I'm starting to think it's not worth it to throw down $600+ for mics that just aren't significantly better than these luxes... any comments? Thanks!

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=19815

Andrew:
Do you know who made this recording?
Were the microphones run in the same pattern for both sets? I wanna hear this...

I've only got 1 Superlux recording. It was made by Alex, and I thought the bass was lacking a bit.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 01:06:17 PM »
I don't know anything more about the recording than what's listed on the archive.org download page for it... I've done a bunch of recordings with my luxes though..  my best recording with them was a flecktones show:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=15848

I've since upgraded to a UA-5, so had I had the UA-5 then, I'm convinced it would have sounded even better. They're definitely some fine mics for the price.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 06:00:04 PM »
I'd guess the AKGs were borrowed from Grider in Indy - he might know who the taper is.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com