Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Peluso CEMC6?  (Read 10027 times)

Offline kbergend

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Peluso CEMC6?
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2007, 02:15:22 PM »
I was very impressed with Nick's recordings using these mics with a stock R-4 on archive.org, and purchased a pair from Audiolot a couple of months ago.  No frequency plots were supplied with them, but my perception is that they have a pretty extreme high frequency emphasis that goes beyond having a "bright character".  IMO they are not very suitable for recording female vocalists.  All four attempts I've made using 2 different preamp/ADCs (Core MIC2496 and Oade TMOD R-4) have resulted in an unpleasantly harsh and tinny timbre in the vocals that I've been unable to fully correct for with EQ in post.  [You can hear an example if you're interested at http://www.archive.org/details/cj2007-01-20.aud.flac16 .  That edge in Margo Timmins' voice was not part of the venue's mix.]  On the positive side, these mics do a great job bringing out the HF transients on cymbals and guitar, and the cardioid caps also feature very clean and powerful bass response.

I think these mics are probably terrific for most instrumental miking applications, and also do a pretty good job with male vocals in my limited experience to date.  I'm not a big jam band follower myself, but I would think they're a good choice for recording those types of artists if there are no female singers in the lineup. 
Keith from NY

Gefell M200/210, AKG 481/2/3, Milab DC-196 and VM-44 Link
Darktrain cables
Grace Lunatec V3, RME Fireface UFX
Tascam DR-680, Oade Concert R-44, Oade Concert PMD661, JoeCo BlackBox

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Peluso CEMC6?
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2007, 05:14:03 PM »
Try the subcards with a warmer pre.  Much more friendly for the female vocals.  Beyond that, try an LD. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com