Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: To JWmod or Not...?  (Read 2866 times)

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
To JWmod or Not...?
« on: August 25, 2007, 11:21:38 AM »
So I ran my ck1x > mk46 > stock 460 > 702 rig last night for the first time. Those ck1x caps are sweet. The detail in the recording is amazing... the only thing I don't like is that the low-end is a little bloated at times... I'm wondering if the JWmod on the 460 bodies would clean this up a bit. I LOVED running the active setup. SO easy to throw up...

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
Re: To JWmod or Not...?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 06:48:07 PM »
bump

stirinthesauce

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 06:53:14 PM »
My opinion, which is worth nothing, is not to mod.  I'm a fan of tranformers anyways, however, the ck1 caps can tend to be bright at times (though I hands down prefer them to the ck61 cap) and the stock 460 body really compliments the ck1 cap, rather smooths things out.  I would tend to think that the modded bodies with the ck1 caps would be unpleasantly bright and a bit harsh, at least for my ears.  ymmv

Again, my opinion is worth nothing  :P

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 06:54:59 PM »
My opinion, which is worth nothing, is not to mod.  I'm a fan of tranformers anyways, however, the ck1 caps can tend to be bright at times (though I hands down prefer them to the ck61 cap) and the stock 460 body really compliments the ck1 cap, rather smooths things out.  I would tend to think that the modded bodies with the ck1 caps would be unpleasantly bright and a bit harsh, at least for my ears.  ymmv

Again, my opinion is worth nothing  :P

No, that's a great opinion. Thanks... it's a little premature for me to change things up anyways. I will run them again on Tuesday up close and see how I like things.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 09:14:10 PM »
leave the 460's alone...don't eff with perfection  ;)

fwiw....i run the same rig as you...ck1x->mk46->stock 460's->722
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 12:10:19 PM »
i think the 1x sound fantastic with the mod 460s, but I prefer the sound of the JW mod over the stock boddies

i've got a recent WSP show I ran ck1x/mk46 > aerco mp-2 > 722 just haven't tracked it out yet but it sounds great.

i think you will notice more of a difference in the mids/highs  with the mod than the lowend, but Jim claims that the lowend is extended much lower after the mod, but I think its kinda moot since the Freq response of the caps will still be the limiting factor
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 09:33:10 AM »
leave the 460's alone...don't eff with perfection  ;)

fwiw....i run the same rig as you...ck1x->mk46->stock 460's->722

I often think that myself, which is why I have stock 460's and JWmods. I still find myself using the mods more, especially straight into the 722 with the CKx caps. When I drag out the V3, I switch to stocks and CK6x caps. The stocks sound much better thru a V3 than the JW's to my ears.

edit: Sorry, I really didn't answer your question. Why don't you try some other things first. Like some roll off, either on the mic bodies or on the 702. Or change your mic pattern a little. Tighten up the spread. Simple things first, before the JW mod. It takes some time to get used to the mod.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 09:42:20 AM by ts »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com