Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Right Angle Optical Cable  (Read 9723 times)

Offline estanley1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Right Angle Optical Cable
« on: August 31, 2009, 10:27:50 PM »
Is there any such thing as an optical cable with hard-wired right angles...or are RA adapters the only way to achieve this config?  Looking for a shorty, maybe 12", with a RA Toslink > RA Mini (3.5mm).  Looking to mount my UA5 vertically, via velcro, "standing" on its rear panel in my bag where the Toslink enters, but want to relieve the stress/pressure associated with the "straight" ends my current cable has.  I feel like the adapters are just another thing to come loose and have connection issues with...is this concern justified or will the available RA adapters work well for my desired app? 

Is leaving the optical plugged into the UA5 and JB3 ok, only removing the mini from the JB3 for transferring files to my computer?

Thanks ahead of time for your input...I'm just a rook using some tried and true components, but still looking to streamline everything to reduce set-up/breakdown time.

ES

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
Re: Right Angle Optical Cable
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 11:11:17 PM »
concerning anything, it's always better to not use adapters. that being said, unless you use cheep ass adapters, once again concerning anything, you shouldn't have a problem. if the cable is going to come loose from the adapter then it would just as likely come loose from what the adapter is plugged into.

i assume you want to leave it all plugged in because you have it bundles that way in your bag, or something like that? if it's sitting around doing nothing, then it's no different than having the plug inserted. in other words it's keeping the dirt out and actually there is less chance of contamination that way, just like in a home system. on the other hand, if it's jostling around in a bag, putting pressure on the connections then you are more apt to have either a conection fail or the cable itself.

i'm sure i didn't have to write all that out since it's nothing more than common sense, but if you're worried about set up time, just make sure to get to the venue early enough that that isn't an issue. i can still set up in < 5min with a completely broken down rig and i'm out of practice. it takes me 1/2 hr or more to break down but then i'm never in a hurry at that point.   
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline estanley1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 11:19:58 PM »
Yes, I would like to keep it bundled and connected.  And I completely concur re: breakdown.  I appreciate the common sense, as sometimes it is not as common as we'd like to sometimes think.  And yeah, obviously I aim to be early, but shit does tend to occur, especially when you're hurrying!

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 12:00:32 AM »
when you're hurrying is when you make mistakes. more common sense, or Confucius, or just plain murphy's law.  :P 

i always plan to get to the venue an hour before doors if possible and that is a rare occurrence with a 2 hr drive for most venues. always seem to get out of work late that day and traffic usually sucks especially when dealing with disney traffic. if you have your rig in a cage you should be ok leaving it hooked up, but then again if you only have to pop off the plugs and connect, why take the chance? jb3s are notorious for getting a bad input connection. ua-5s are pretty much indestructible if mine is any example. it takes longer for a jb3 to start up than it does to connect it to anything also.

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • surly tapir
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 12:01:44 AM »
such an animal used to exist, now it is very rare... although i hear it is available in japan.

re: keeping it all plugged in... for the ua-5 that is probably a good idea and its what i used to do, but i would always unplug the mini from the jb3 as to not damage the jack on the jb3 or snap the mini off in it (both have been done by members on this board).
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline estanley1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 12:11:29 AM »
Right on, Chris...thank you.  I'll dig around a bit more, but my search is bordering on discouraging.

Admkrk - Disney Left Coast or RIGHT Coast

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 03:53:52 AM »

Admkrk - Disney Left Coast or RIGHT Coast

depends on which way yer looking.  >:D

lets say east or fla to be exact. lol

now that i'm thinking about it, it wasn't long ago i was looking for an optical for my jb3. had a hard time finding one with even the mini adapter. but i just chalked that up to the not being able to find anything around here syndrome.

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 04:22:17 AM »
I PMed you estanley.  It is a POC-L10AB....we still have them here in Japan but at the current exchange rate, it is gonna run you 33 bucks before shipping.  It is a bomber cable, multicore (doesn't snap and break like those cheapie ones) and flexible (for a optical cable).

http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/avacc/cord/acc/index.cfm?PD=1782

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 04:54:26 AM »
such an animal used to exist, now it is very rare... although i hear it is available in japan.

^^What he said:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,86786.0.html

Your options are either ordering the Sony POC-L10AB from Japan (hard to find even there!)

...or getting a Soundpro toslink>toslink cable + mini adapter:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-TOC-RA

... or putting out a wanted ad on the YS.  :-\
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline estanley1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 09:07:59 AM »
Thanks Gentlemen!   :coolguy:

Offline skotdee

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 04:51:53 PM »
Hey Eric, check out soundprofessionals.com

right angle toslink cable http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-TOC-RA
toslink>mini adapter http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-TOC-MINI

That way the only adapater you're using is the toslink>mini. I used that exact setup when I used a jb3 with NO problems whatsoever.

Less than $10!

Offline estanley1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 10:03:10 AM »
Always lovin' me some Skotdee! :cheers:

See you in a few weeks, Bro...it's gonna get ugly, Main!!!   :drunk:

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 02:37:35 AM »
right angle toslink cable http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-TOC-RA
toslink>mini adapter http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-TOC-MINI

That way the only adapater you're using is the toslink>mini. I used that exact setup when I used a jb3 with NO problems whatsoever.

Less than $10!

Agree, great price, and soundpro is still one of the very few selling the SP-TOC-RA.

I got another retailer suggesting that I should glue the adapter to the cable, if I'm concerned about it coming loose. What do you guys generally think about that?
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline estanley1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 06:23:43 PM »
That's exactly what I planned on doing...and for $10 its totally worth the risk of possibly damaging the cable!

Offline steve4134

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
Mc-930-Naiant Littlebox-R-09HR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com