Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-60D - 4 Channel recorder  (Read 111230 times)

tomuo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Tascam DR-60D - 4 Channel recorder
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2013, 12:20:21 PM »
Tascam still has not added any software updates that allow auto saving the files.  At least now they flat out state that if you lose power the files are lost and unrcoverable

It's not as bad as it sounds. When the voltage drops too low, the DR-60D stops recording cleanly and displays "Battery Low".
In this state, it won't let you start another recording.   You get advance warning before "battery low" because the battery icon would
be blinking.
If you were on external power, with no batteries installed and you pulled the external power during a recording, that one file will be lost, but the rest of the files on the card would be fine.
You'd have to try hard to mess this up in normal use, just keep batteries installed at all times even when using external power.

Tom (TASCAM).

kirk97132

« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2013, 03:11:12 PM »
Tascam still has not added any software updates that allow auto saving the files.  At least now they flat out state that if you lose power the files are lost and unrcoverable

It's not as bad as it sounds. When the voltage drops too low, the DR-60D stops recording cleanly and displays "Battery Low".
In this state, it won't let you start another recording.   You get advance warning before "battery low" because the battery icon would
be blinking.
If you were on external power, with no batteries installed and you pulled the external power during a recording, that one file will be lost, but the rest of the files on the card would be fine.
You'd have to try hard to mess this up in normal use, just keep batteries installed at all times even when using external power.

Tom (TASCAM).
Tom,  I assume your from Tascam.....Can you tell us why with the talented people that are obviously employed there writing software, that there is not some kind of file recovery tool offered up by Tascam for the occasion that power is accidentally lost?  for instance in the field when AC power is not an option and you have batteries give out on you.  In some cases that "one" file amounts to a whole set of music being lost.  The one set can be a huge issue if it is something that there is no back up for and a hour or so worth of filming is now useless.  And another question I'd like to pose is, can you tell us the reason that Tascam chose to not have the file write automatically ( like the HD-P2 does) ?   Sorry to put you on the spot, but to be honest Tascam customer support has be less than responsive in the past.  I know you are only the messenger but you are also the only person who has given me (us) a chance to talk with a Tascam rep directly.  And,  no I don't own the 60D but do own two 680's and the last time I tried to get in touch with support it took months literally. 

tomuo

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2013, 06:44:40 PM »
And another question I'd like to pose is, can you tell us the reason that Tascam chose to not have the file write automatically ( like the HD-P2 does) ?
Simply put, the "Low Battery" feature solves the problem, but without requiring the extra CPU power and data throughput of constantly seeking / rewriting / closing and re-opening the file being recorded.

Even with this feature, If losing data because of power-dropout was a real problem, I'm sure our customer support staff would be passing on the complaints.  That they are not shows that except for extraordinary accidents, this approach is working.

Tom (TASCAM).   
All emails into our customer support staff are read, and requests for feature improvements are summarized back to the R&D departments, so that is always a good way to get your ideas heard.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2013, 07:06:51 PM »
for instance in the field when AC power is not an option and you have batteries give out on you.

When the voltage drops too low, the DR-60D stops recording cleanly and displays "Battery Low".

As Tom said, that is exactly the scenario that which would not result in data loss. 

Data loss can only arise in the opposite scenario to the one you quote - when you are not in the field, you are using mains power, and you haven't got batteries installed (or charged) and the mains fails.  In that situation, you'd probably only have yourself to blame.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2013, 12:13:19 AM »
  I also recorded indoors - the dogs eating their breakfast, would you believe...
Now that is a good thing to record.  How do you mic a dog?

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2013, 03:02:18 AM »
How do you mic a dog?

Well - you certainly have to be careful they don't notice the dead cat.

kirk97132

« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2013, 11:05:14 AM »
And another question I'd like to pose is, can you tell us the reason that Tascam chose to not have the file write automatically ( like the HD-P2 does) ?
Simply put, the "Low Battery" feature solves the problem, but without requiring the extra CPU power and data throughput of constantly seeking / rewriting / closing and re-opening the file being recorded.

Even with this feature, If losing data because of power-dropout was a real problem, I'm sure our customer support staff would be passing on the complaints.  That they are not shows that except for extraordinary accidents, this approach is working.

Tom (TASCAM).   
All emails into our customer support staff are read, and requests for feature improvements are summarized back to the R&D departments, so that is always a good way to get your ideas heard.
Tom,
Thank you for a prompt reply.  But truth is if I searched here and on gear slutz I could find multiple posts lamenting the fact there are files lost after an unexpected power loss. 
I don't want to turn this discussion about the 60D into something else and derail the thread.  BUT, I will point you to this thread:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=153114.0;all
And, I know for a fact that any post on the Tascam facebook page that are complaints get deleted.  I know that for sure because it happened to me, and now I cannot even post on the Tascam FB page. I'd would love to offer up some more experiences an maybe that is best done in another thread or via PM's, Kirk

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2013, 08:42:40 PM »
Here's a dynamic range test of the DR-60D.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/9/22/1451533/Mower%20and%20room%20render.mp3

The recording was made with an MS pair of Sennheiser MKH series mics. 

The first 30 seconds are of a lawnmower (rated at 70dBA) recorded at a distance of about 1 metre.  It's LOUD.  The second 30 seconds use the same gain settings to record the sound of a barely audible clock in a quiet room (but in daytime rather than night, which might have been quieter).

You can listen to this two ways.  Either play back the first loud part at what seems to be the volume you'd expect to hear from a motor mower just in front of you (as if you were using it).  Then when you get to the quiet bit, can you hear the clock - should just be possible - and can you hear any system noise?

Or, when you get to the second part, play it back so you can just hear the little clock, like I just could in the room for real.  You have to listen hard to hear it tick once a second.  Do you hear any system noise when the clock can only just be heard?  Then play the first part - is it then painfully loud?  (That's my experience).

My view is that this recording shows that this combination of mic and recorder has a dynamic range which equals that of the human ear - from loud to soft - without you being aware of system noise.

The jury is out - you decide!

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2013, 04:18:53 PM »
So if I'm thinking of getting into SBD feeds this unit is a good choice? RCA's out of the board to line 3/4 stereo mini in? If that's the case I'm all over this.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 04:44:34 PM by ts »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2013, 04:29:29 PM »
So if I'm thinking of getting into SBD feeds this unit is a good choice? RCA's out of the board to the 3/4 stereo mini in? If that's the case I'm all over this.

To record 4 channels with this deck, don't you HAVE TO use the internal mics ??? I could've sworn I read that yesterday when I was on tascams website looking over the dr680.
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

adrianf74

« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2013, 05:50:46 PM »
So if I'm thinking of getting into SBD feeds this unit is a good choice? RCA's out of the board to line 3/4 stereo mini in? If that's the case I'm all over this.

From page one (Tom Duffy @ TASCAM):

Mic and Line level (-10dBV with 20dB headroom) compatible.  unbalanced because it's a stereo input.  This would be a great way to get audio from a wireless receiver into the DR-60D.

So, yes, you can run phantom power on 1 & 2 via XLR and then run RCA's out of the SBD > 1/8" via the stereo in.  I would assume 20dB headroom and -10dBV should be safe enough for even older boards.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2013, 07:24:25 PM »
To record 4 channels with this deck, don't you HAVE TO use the internal mics ??? I could've sworn I read that yesterday when I was on tascams website looking over the dr680.
No, you don't have to use the internal mics.  Indeed, that would be a bit tricky, as it doesn't have any. ;)

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2013, 09:09:13 PM »
Wow, tascam is really starting to put out soe very nice products!
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: (3) Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: (2) Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2013, 11:38:56 PM »
No, you don't have to use the internal mics.  Indeed, that would be a bit tricky, as it doesn't have any. ;)

Oops, my bad. I wonder which one of their devices I was looking at yesterday?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2013, 03:44:18 AM »
So many devices to look at, so little ready cash to buy with... :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.13 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com