Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TSKB: DVD Recorders  (Read 3055 times)

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
TSKB: DVD Recorders
« on: October 03, 2007, 10:40:42 PM »
Hey all,
anyone done research on what are currently good options for DVD recorders?
I'd like one machine that can be a good player as well as be a reliable recorder, mostly for capturing TV shows when I'm not home for viewing later.

The only thing I definitely want would be HDMI out to feed to my 720p LCD...no need for 1080p upscaling or anything.  I don't think I really need a tuner, but if I want to schedule recordings do I guess I may need one?

I know that new devices are coming out all the time...anyone?

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: TSKB: DVD Recorders
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 03:48:01 PM »
I bought the toshiba kr10ku so I could record games.  It has several levels of quality.  The highest runs 2hrs, the next 4 hours, and I don't use the others.  For SD recording, the 4hr mode is very respectable.  It's not fancy but does a great job so far.  The usampling is good to my eyes but I'm not very experienced.  I was shocked how good the upsampled Matrix looked on my 720p display.  The only downside is that I have to program each recording and put in a fresh disc or I miss the game.   If you think you'll miss recurring programs, get one of the units with harddrive editing. 
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Jamos

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 06:55:06 PM »
Still looking for one of these...
Thanks for your comments lil kim, +t.

Seems like home DVD recorders in general are sort of at a weird point in development.  There are options, but most get really crappy reviews, either they stop working or stop reading discs eventually. 

I don't really need a tuner since I'll be coming out of a cable box, but if I want to use it like a VCR with timed recordings, a tuner will pretty much be necessary...otherwise you'll need to make sure the cable box is set to the correct channel every time.  Of course, most of the built-in tuners are analog tuners that'll stop working eventually...
 :P

lots of little things to consider.  Maybe it's just better to get a HD-based set up.

Although they are only going to get cheaper, and hopefully bugs will get worked out with future models.

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 02:41:11 PM »
I record to my PC and then edit/burn to DVD.  My burner only cost like $40.  Usually I transfer from my Tivo using the free Tivo2Go software and a little program that strips the .tivo files to standard MPEG. 

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Jamos

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 12:08:20 AM »
So I finally found a recorder that seemed like what I was looking for, and it's working out really well so far.

It is the Panasonic DMR-EZ27K.
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Video/DVD-Recorders-Players/DVD-Recorders/model.DMR-EZ27K_11002_7000000000000005702

It's got a digital tuner which is perfect for setting up a scheduler and timed recordings...essentially we like to record a few television shows that are on in prime-time when we're not home.  It's been really great for that...mostly due to the DVD-RAM compatibility.  I bought one DVD-RAM disc and can record up to 6 hours of content, and then can just erase and re-use it.  Pretty sweet!

It also has 1080p upconversion for playback of DVD's, which makes for good playback as well.

It has a boatload of other features too, many of which I haven't really gotten into yet.  It's got DIVX compatibility, as well as a SD card slot.  My hope is that in the future I can dump a DIVX-encoded file onto a SD card and pop it into the Panasonic. 

I've only found a couple things that I don't like about it so far.
-The tuner, while good, could provide a bit better quality picture.
-The DVD playback navigation menus are a bit funky, and just took a little getting used to.

Overall, this device has been everything I've wanted it to be...it acts just like your old VCR with recording, and does a good job with the playback.

I bought it from Circuit City a couple months ago.  With some coupons, it came out to about $150.  I know there are some cheaper ones out there, but the reliability w/DVD recorders in general seems really poor at this point, so I was willing to pay a bit more for what I hope will be a machine that lasts for years.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com