Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Subs and MMGs...  (Read 2068 times)

Offline bkirby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
Subs and MMGs...
« on: September 03, 2004, 01:49:54 PM »
I am thinking of adding a sub with the MMGs for HT and casual listening. Any thoughts as to which sub would be fast enough for the Magnepans? I know the Pinnacle Baby Boomer has been reccomended, but are there any others ya'll know about???
Brad K.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Subs and MMGs...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 01:58:44 PM »
I'd give another nod to the babyboomer.  I still use one with my Soliloquys, and I used it previously with the MMGs before I sold them.  Another one of the same design type you might want to look into is the Sunfire True Sub (and True Sub Jr.).

BTW, if you do a lot of searching around, you should be able to find one vendor that sells the babyboomer for about $500, otherwise the street price seems to be in the $700-800 range.  Depending on your room size, you could also look at the smaller Pinnacle subsonic.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 02:07:31 PM »
I can't comment on how it integratres with the maggies, but I can't fluff the vandersteen 2wq enough.  It's really tight.  I don't know about dinosaur footprints and explosions because I don't use it for HT.  But for music it is impressive in my system.  Intergated seemlessly with thiels.   They make a 2wv (I think that is the designation) that is specific to HT setups.  The interface is different for use with HT processors.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 02:19:57 PM »
http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~acoustic/products/subwoofers/pre_finished/mrs10.shtml

only $450!

I'm using one of these right now.  I was planning on going DIY, and was looking at some simple designs using the highly regarded Adire XBL2 driver.  This assembled sub was only slightly more than the DIY, used the same driver, so I just went with it and saved me the hassle of building it.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 11:58:07 PM »
In terms of speed, a few of my local hifi guys recommended going with two smaller subs instead of one big one.  It takes more amp power and control to move a big 12" cone as opposed to an 8" one.  Besides, if everything above your xover frequency is in stereo, why should everything below it be in mono?
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com