Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Strange Shaped Room...  (Read 4852 times)

Offline bkirby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
Strange Shaped Room...
« on: January 25, 2006, 03:26:21 PM »
Ok, I have an extra room in my house that I will be dedicating to my audio stuff. Below is a picture of the room, but I didn't have the actual measurements. It's not real big, but I can't figure out where to put everything. The spaces on the left and the bottom are doors that open inwards. The weird looking circles on the top-right are a radiator. The "bump" in the wall to the bottom-right is a closet with a door (opens inwards). The floors are late 1800s pine, but I have some oriental rugs that will be placed once set up! The ceiling is 10ft. high made of pressed tin with intricate designs. I just need a place for two speakers, and my system with rack. I am worried about putting anything near the radiator as I don't want the finish damaged on anything. Any ideas? I am pretty much open to anything except moving the radiator or getting rid of the ceiling. Modest room treatments will be experimented with once set up! Any help???

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Strange Shaped Room...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 04:09:05 PM »
What else is going in the room - couch, chairs, tables, etc.?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 04:14:59 PM »
sounds like a great room for atypical thought (thinking out of the box).

this is where I'd typically post the picture of my living room with the speaker smack dab in the middle,...
but I'll spare nick the (_8^(I) .... d'oh!!

But seriously, I put a speaker in the middle of my living room, because there was no other practical place for it.
Anything like that spur any thoughts?

Well, I thought about something like this, but I have a feeling the slanted wall to the right of my seated position would be a nightmare to treat... I have also thought about putting everything at the slanted wall and sit diagnoally across, but that slanted wall isn't very wide for a decent placement of speakers...

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 04:18:58 PM »
is the drawing to scale?

just kidding.

what i really see as a problem is that back right corner- a nice bass trap should clear that up.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 04:25:02 PM »
If all you need in there is stereo gear + a chair, or even a couch, you could set it up diagonally.  See pic.  You could flip the stereo / chair corners, too.
Roland R-05

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 04:37:42 PM »
If all you need in there is stereo gear + a chair, or even a couch, you could set it up diagonally.  See pic.  You could flip the stereo / chair corners, too.

Brian, I may end up putting another small chair off-center and a table or shelves to the far right or left of the listening position. Nothing that is too large or will interfere too much with acoustics.

The only thing I worry about is the sound from the back of the speakers hitting the diagonal wall behind them, and getting lost behinf the whole system. I may have to try this set-up though, but I would put the gear in the opposite corner and sit by the radiator. I guess some treatments behind the speakers would be in order as well and a bass trap in the corner behind the gear...

Thanks guys and +T to all...

And no, these drawings were not quite to scale... :-[

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 04:45:01 PM »
The only thing I worry about is the sound from the back of the speakers hitting the diagonal wall behind them, and getting lost behinf the whole system.

Someone here previously posted this link.  FWIW:  http://www.decware.com/paper14.htm
Roland R-05

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 04:55:00 PM »
The only thing I worry about is the sound from the back of the speakers hitting the diagonal wall behind them, and getting lost behinf the whole system.

Someone here previously posted this link.  FWIW:  http://www.decware.com/paper14.htm

Thanks Brian! After glancing at this, I feel I am in for quite the adventure...

Brad K.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 09:35:19 AM »
Bass Traps in front and back corners, absorption at first reflection points, Dispersion of some kind on the rear wall behind listening position.  Possibly dispersion on the 45 degree wall as well.  That should help immensly.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 09:59:05 AM »
I did some more looking at my room last night and I think the "corner" set-up may work. I will just have to play around a bit. Of course, I will be taking the advice of the article Skalinder linked. They advise setting a laser-pointer on the cabinet, and taping mirrors to the walls to follow sound reflections. I will be treating those areas along with the corners. Of course, this will take some experimenting, but this could be quite interesting! Thanks to all...

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 10:23:12 AM »
sounds like a great room for atypical thought (thinking out of the box).

this is where I'd typically post the picture of my living room with the speaker smack dab in the middle,...
but I'll spare nick the (_8^(I) .... d'oh!!

But seriously, I put a speaker in the middle of my living room, because there was no other practical place for it.
Anything like that spur any thoughts?

my favorite picture ever...I strive to have that much control over my home :P

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 10:33:46 AM »
I used the laser pointer to set my speakers (as a starting point for toe-in). I really like the idea of the laser pointer and mirrors.

I would love to have a dedicated audio space to work with.

This room will be fun even though it is not ideally shaped. I will post pics once it is done, but it may be a while as it still needs to be painted and the floors need to be redone.

BobW

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 07:52:41 PM »
need dimensions to even consider anything....
 think sound dampening on floor with a tin ceiling as in a thick padded rug
   bass traps are a good idea, make them to look like endtables from plastic barrells filled with fluffy damping material
      I like the use of the long straight wall as speaker location, shoot towards the aperiodic walls
          don't forget to add a cat, all good listening rooms need a cat    :P

I'm jealous that you have a dedicated room !
Good luck  +

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 09:33:10 AM »
I agree with Bob, you must have a fluffy kitty to truly appreciate the room :P
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 12:17:46 PM »
No way in hell will a cat be allowed in my house!!! >:D

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 08:56:23 AM »
if the room is relatively small/medium sized, you might find that going the long way (speakers against the long wall) is too much bass energy, and not enough room to let the speakers breathe.

IMO, put them against the short wall.  either end (though i'd go against the end w/the door..and keep it closed when listening).
Measure the room L and W.
pull the speakers out 1/3rd the distance of the room and try to space them w/at least 2' of space between them and the side walls.  Move  your listening position to be an equal distance as the speakers are apart.  So if the room is 15' deep, then the front of the speakers should be 5' out from the back wall.
this will give you a very deep soundstage w/the rear firing driver cranked up (which you want to have durring break in).
as for toe in, start w/them square and then tune them in using the ol' white/pink noise trick.  if you need a reference disc for this, lmk and i'll send you a copy of mine (complete w/all the noise you need).

if that distance is too great into the room for the speakers, then go with 1/5th instead of 1/3rd...making the front of the speakers 3' out instead of 5'.
Its important to have as much space behind the speakers as you can get away with.  VSAs like to have that space, and they will give you true 3D sound if they have the room to flex.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com