Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Purchase...  (Read 9155 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: New Purchase...
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2007, 06:57:19 AM »
ouch

Offline som

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2007, 09:12:36 AM »
Another thing I like about records is that the medium just kinda *makes sense* in a simplistic, mechanical kind of way:

I scratch a record, I can *see* what is causing the pop. I can clean off little specks stuck in the grooves. Stuff like that.

A CD starts to go haywire and I have *no idea* what the problem is, and usually no way to fix or improve it. CDs are rude in that way.

EDIT: I have to say, though, that I don't hate CDs. Great for the car, great medium for trading & collecting live shows, and, yes, I'll even play them in the main living room system (one CD to about 10 records)!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 09:15:15 AM by som »
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2007, 07:13:04 PM »
I found a local record store yesterday that mostly sells records online (www.recordfinders.com) that has just about everything you can think of, all for $2 each. I got The Who Quadrophenia album with full covers, very good condition for $2. I couldn't believe what I was finding. Led Zeppelin Physical Graffitti (both LPs), $2. Van Halen discs, $2. I met the owner and he showed me the wharehouse of backstock he has. He has estimated well over 4 million records and trust me, I've seen it and I fully believe him. Some are in fair all the way to mint condition. Online, he sells everything for various prices. For the lucky who can get here, everything is $2. I walked away with 15 LPs yesterday, I don't think I'll get off as easily today!

I was passing through on the way back from a week in philly today and called and figured out how to get there....left with 26 records..all for $2 a piece...freaking great...got some great hair metal, ratt, motley crue, a few jimmy buffet, some stevie ray vaughn, johnny cash (finally got a good copy of folsom prison!), yes..just some great stuff...and at the prices he is at, it may be worth the roadtrip from raleigh on occassion!

Offline bkirby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2007, 10:51:58 AM »
I found a local record store yesterday that mostly sells records online (www.recordfinders.com) that has just about everything you can think of, all for $2 each. I got The Who Quadrophenia album with full covers, very good condition for $2. I couldn't believe what I was finding. Led Zeppelin Physical Graffitti (both LPs), $2. Van Halen discs, $2. I met the owner and he showed me the wharehouse of backstock he has. He has estimated well over 4 million records and trust me, I've seen it and I fully believe him. Some are in fair all the way to mint condition. Online, he sells everything for various prices. For the lucky who can get here, everything is $2. I walked away with 15 LPs yesterday, I don't think I'll get off as easily today!

I was passing through on the way back from a week in philly today and called and figured out how to get there....left with 26 records..all for $2 a piece...freaking great...got some great hair metal, ratt, motley crue, a few jimmy buffet, some stevie ray vaughn, johnny cash (finally got a good copy of folsom prison!), yes..just some great stuff...and at the prices he is at, it may be worth the roadtrip from raleigh on occassion!

Nick, sounds great. That place is excellent and the owner (forget his name) is really nice. I have already purchased over 60 LPs from him and the majority of them are in excellent shape. Let me know next time you are in town. +T...

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2007, 01:27:44 PM »

damn!  You guys are making me itch to buy some vinyl now! 

My fiancee is working this saturday...you know I will be hunting for some good deals in the village.   :D
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2007, 02:12:54 PM »

Nick, sounds great. That place is excellent and the owner (forget his name) is really nice. I have already purchased over 60 LPs from him and the majority of them are in excellent shape. Let me know next time you are in town. +T...

definitely...next time I come up it will be a day trip and I will leave the wife at home (she got bored quickly), and we can link up!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com