Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: question about AT853/AT8534/PS-2 setup and powering  (Read 3181 times)

Offline rdvdijk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Rust Radio
question about AT853/AT8534/PS-2 setup and powering
« on: May 05, 2007, 05:13:51 AM »
I'm new to taping, and I recently bought this mic setup from edtyre here:

(2) at853 mics with cardioid caps (cables are 5')
  (2) at8534 phantom module (re-packaged in one box)
  (1) Deneke PS-2 48V Phantom power supply w/ 1/8" mini output

(I left out the extra cables, mounts and windscreens in this list)

These have been sold here a few times before, namely in these threads in the Yard Sale:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,57324.0.html (Todd R sold to greatgumbino)
  (then greatgumbino sold to raoulduke, I guess)
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,70271.0.html (raoulduke sold to spreadheadtom)
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,79704.0.html (spreadheadtom sold to edytre, I guess)
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,83729.0.html (edtyre sold to me)

edtyre added the Denecke PS-2 to the mix.

Now here is the question:

As far as I can tell, these mics could handle 48V phantom directly from the PS-2, right? Todd R mentions this in this post:

With a simple adapter cable, these mics could also be used with a traditional battery box, but they'd be better used with the phantom power supplies which will yield better dynamic range and allow for recording higher SPLs

So if the mics would terminate into xlrs directly, or if I'd use an adapter cable, I could plug them directly in the PS-2 and skip the at8534 phantom modules, right?

Gotta find me a good R-09 deal soon, build me a stealth-taper-hat, and start taping ;D

Thanks for any input,

Roel
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 05:26:49 AM by rdvdijk »
"Obviously Doing Well.."

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: question about AT853/AT8534/PS-2 setup and powering
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 06:24:07 AM »
If you skip the AT8534 you WILL smoke the mics....I have the same set up I purchased from TodddR....The AT8534 reduces the 48V of phantom power down to 9V....The AT853's can't handle 48V of direct phantom power...

That's a nice set up...Happy Taping.. ;D

Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline rdvdijk

• Taperssection Regular
    • Rust Radio
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 06:57:47 AM »
If you skip the AT8534 you WILL smoke the mics....I have the same set up I purchased from TodddR....The AT8534 reduces the 48V of phantom power down to 9V....The AT853's can't handle 48V of direct phantom power...

Yeah, I suspected they weren't there for nothing, but still I don't get it when I read this:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/a3e071b73f3be570/index.html

PHANTOM POWER REQUIREMENTS    9-52V DC, 2 mA typical

Every (discontinued) AT853 I look up on their site has these 9-52V specs. Any ideas? Just trying to understand here ;)

Roel
"Obviously Doing Well.."

Offline joekar

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 07:10:03 AM »
I'm sure someone will join in here shortly and explain this more eloquently than I can...... :help:

Peace,
jk

ps: take a look at this thread...it has a lot of info..
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,11679.0/topicseen.html
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 09:03:25 AM by joekar »
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 09:52:14 AM »

Yeah, I suspected they weren't there for nothing, but still I don't get it when I read this:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/a3e071b73f3be570/index.html

PHANTOM POWER REQUIREMENTS    9-52V DC, 2 mA typical

Every (discontinued) AT853 I look up on their site has these 9-52V specs. Any ideas? Just trying to understand here ;)

Roel

Joekar is 100% correct. These mics actually come with the phantom adaptors some "companies" remove them from the box before they sell them to you and so they can later on charge you for them.. There is nothing wrong with that because they are selling the mics for much less then they would be with all of the accourtrements. But when AT says this mic will operate from 9 to 52 volts they assume you have a complete package from AT. That does include the phantom adaptors/impedance converters. So no you can not power your mics directly from phantom power! you must use a impedance converter/phantom to 10 volt adaptor to power the mics. The max input voltage for these mics is 10 volts. Why because that's all they need to perform there best. People talk about feeding the mics 12 volts its nonsense. This does not increase the Max SPL of the mic one iota.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline joekar

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 10:02:12 AM »
Thanks Chris T+

Peace  ;D ,
jk

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 10:06:32 AM »
Thanks Chris T+

Peace  ;D ,
jk

Back at ya. +T
Not that you need anymore  :P
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline rdvdijk

• Taperssection Regular
    • Rust Radio
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 12:19:51 PM »
Thanks for the great answer!

I'll keep the at8534's in between, then :)

Roel
"Obviously Doing Well.."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com