Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 4 channels?  (Read 17679 times)

Offline Muddy Das

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
4 channels?
« on: April 13, 2012, 08:38:03 PM »
just curios, what would be the advantage of running 4  channels and how would you set up your mics? I have only been at this for year and just feel like i should be getting more out of my recordings.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: 4 channels?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 08:40:12 PM »
SBD (2 channels) + Mics (2 channels).

Plenty of recordings like this are available. Listen to a few. Just saw that Chuck uploaded a Lucero recording with 4 channels. Checkout the Kickdown section for it.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 09:05:10 PM »
SBD (2 channels) + Mics (2 channels).

This mostly.

But also if you have two pairs of nice, complementary sounding mics, mixing those two sources can turn out well.  I've made a few mixes of onstage omnis and FOB cards that came out better than either source sounded individually.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 09:17:18 PM »
^ Yep. The options are (nearly) limitless.

With more than 4 channels you have a lot more options. My personal favorite is to run 2 mics + 1 or 2 SBD channels + as many other individual vocal mics as I can or need. Mix everything in post.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 09:36:12 PM »
I have only been at this for year and just feel like i should be getting more out of my recordings.

What do you feel is missing or inadequate?  It's possible something easier than adding 2 more channels could help, e.g. different location / stand height, mic configuration, post-processing, etc.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline lastubbe

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Copper-dome Bodhi drip a silver kimono
    • Dead-Phish
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 06:43:17 PM »
I have only been at this for year and just feel like i should be getting more out of my recordings.

What do you feel is missing or inadequate?  It's possible something easier than adding 2 more channels could help, e.g. different location / stand height, mic configuration, post-processing, etc.

Agreed.  Adding 2 more channels is not always the best option.
DPA 4023>Sonosax SX-M2/EAA PSP-2>Sound Devices 722 (24/96)
http://dead-phish.com
http://twitter.com/lastubbe
@lastubbe

Offline Muddy Das

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 07:46:47 PM »
I just feel like it should have a more fuller sound.  I run sp c4>ua5>m10 i post with soundforge. what got me thinking about adding channels is one band asked me if i could add some.

Offline achalsey

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 08:02:42 PM »
Any samples?  (Archive preferably for me, I'm lazy and don't like downloading samples).

I ran C4 > UA5 for a bit and wasn't totally impressed but turned out I was dealing with a faulty battery cable the whole time and didn't realize it.  That said I got some recordings I was pretty happy with.

Two more channels for SBD feeds almost always help IMO (but granted it will be to various degrees depending on venue/sound guy/band setup ect...).  A tascam DR-2d is 130 bucks.  (http://www.amazon.com/Tascam-DR2D-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B003838PHQ

More channels for mics would be silly.  A mic upgrade would be first priority in my mind.

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 08:32:21 PM »
It all depends on how much work you want to do...
I had a Tascam DR-680 for awhile and got tired of lugging around 2 or 3 pairs of mics plus shit tons of batteries.
Not to mention the increased amount of editing work involved, and I rarely did 4 mic mixes (omni/shotgun only).
I did alot of mic body/cap comparisons though while owning the 680 and really thought that was my only advantage.
For the amount of SBD/AUD MTXs I do now, I feel the Tascam DR-2d is sufficient for my needs.
If you do alot of MTXs, then an R44 or even a Sound Devices box would be more appropriate.
I feel that a single pair of GOOD mics in the right location/configuration running thru a NICE preamp is really all you need.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 08:47:04 PM »
For anything other than comparision between two different setups (which is actually one of the most informative things to do with 4 channels), or surround sound for your own playback (which few do here but is really, really cool!) you need to be comfortable with mixing things afterwards to take advantage of more than two recording channels.

The old 3-mic stereo option is too often overlooked these days, IMO.  Options are identical Left/Center/Right mics arranged appropriately and later mixed to stereo (offering more control over stereo width and 'fullness') or a single omni between two directional mics.  On a 4 channel recorder that leaves one channel open for a SBD patch to matix things if you like.  I just ran cardioids + single center omni last Sat night, with the idea of a possible SBD patch which didn't materialze.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Muddy Das

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 05:42:48 PM »
I am intrigued by the 3 mic stereo option. How far apart would you place your mics? With the mixing would you somehow divide the center between the left and right?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 06:59:08 PM »
I just feel like it should have a more fuller sound.  I run sp c4>ua5>m10 i post with soundforge. what got me thinking about adding channels is one band asked me if i could add some.

I'll echo achalsey's request:  samples would help, including details about the recording environment, location, mic config, etc., as well as what sort of playback you're using to determine the lack of fullness.

Which C4:  omni, cardioid, hyper?  The cardioids have a substantial and significant rolloff in lower frequencies, -2 dB by 200 Hz, -4 dB by 100 Hz, and -7 dB by 50 Hz .  (I didn't find graphs for the hypers on the SP website.)  I wonder if this may contribute to your sense of a lack of fullness.

Silly question, but never hurts to ask:  are you sure you're not running the HPF (low cut) on the mics?
Roland R-05

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 07:00:12 PM »
I feel that a single pair of GOOD mics in the right location/configuration running thru a NICE preamp is really all you need.
That's how i feel too! I had enough of 4 channel. I don't get enough soundboard patches and the 4 mic mixes weren't
any better than one pair in the right spot.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline lastubbe

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Copper-dome Bodhi drip a silver kimono
    • Dead-Phish
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 07:14:41 PM »
That's how i feel too! I had enough of 4 channel. I don't get enough soundboard patches and the 4 mic mixes weren't
any better than one pair in the right spot.

Exactly why I haven't justified that step.  I suppose only reason I would do it would be to run another pair of mics, but in that case, the other pair I'd want would not be ideal in the situations that the other pair would.
DPA 4023>Sonosax SX-M2/EAA PSP-2>Sound Devices 722 (24/96)
http://dead-phish.com
http://twitter.com/lastubbe
@lastubbe

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 08:07:37 PM »
Other posts while typing.. before I launch into an essay, I'll just say I totally agree with Ed and lastubbe considering the way most 4 channel mic mixes are done around here- which is generally two seperate pairs of mics, each setup as an individual stereo pairs, mixed together.  That's not what I'm suggesting in any of the scenarios below...

[edit- and Brian is spot on in suggesting that direct and simple ways of improving your two channel recording technique are more appropiate than adding more mic channels!  What follows is more about why one might use 3 channels, and sort of assumes that you are already getting satisfactory results with two!]

I am intrigued by the 3 mic stereo option. How far apart would you place your mics? With the mixing would you somehow divide the center between the left and right?

The mixing is simple: center panned center, Left/Right panned hard-left and hard-right.  The main thing to adjust is the center level, and optionally EQ.

As for mic setup, a basic approach is simply adding a center omni without changing your typical L/R main pair setup.  That's a 'safe bet' way to try this as you can simply toss out the center if it adds nothing useful.  A center omni helps the low bass range, often compensating for a low end roll-off response of the directional main pair.  It can also help solidify the center of the playback image and provide a way of adjusting how much ambience you want in the mix.

The next step down the 3 channel path is to think about adjusting the main L/R pair with the addition of the center in mind.  That usually means adjusting the L/R pair to be angled or spaced wider (or both) in such a way that might compromise the main L/R pair by itself, but benefit the resulting mix with the center added.  When I started doing this I sort of worked my way farther towards a dedicated 3-channel setup, so if it didn't work out I still had something that wasn't over compromised in the L/R pair alone.  But the results were encouraging, which gave me the confidence to try more outlandish setups, some of which completely sacrifice stereo compatibility of the L/R pair alone for optimizing the 3-channel setup.

One of the 'totally safe', but really useful and conceptually simple optimized setups is three spaced omnis. Addition of a center omni allows you to space the L/R pair wider than you would otherwise without fear of getting a 'hole in the middle'.  In fact, the safest bet is to try this by spacing the L/R pair twice as wide as you normally would.  In that case you can always throw away one of the outside mic channels and substitute the center for it instead and you’ll end up with your original 'safe' L/R stereo omni spacing.  You can put all three mics in a line, or move the center one forward a bit like a classic Decca tree.  Works anywhere spaced omis are appropriate and is almost always better in my experience.  I've never once had it turn out worse.  I just did this for an outdoor festival last month and instead of the typical 3' two channel omni spacing I use there, I spaced the L/R pair 6'.  Super win. No down side other than running an extra channel and figuring out how to do the spacing.

Optimizing a setup with directional mics gets tricker, as the best results begin to require setups that don’t work as well with just the L/R pair alone.  You can go seat of the pants by simply going a good bit wider with the L/R pair.  If you are using three directional mics instead of a center omni, it may help to think of the Left-Center pair as one stereo set which happens to be immediately adjacent to the Center-Right pair, with the two linked-up in the middle.  Michael Williams has extended the Stereo Zoom technique based on this concept.  He calls the optimization of the overlap between each recording segment ‘critical linking’.  There are papers about it and an active web page configurator at his website to help determine good setups based on the recording angle you want.  I don’t know it off the top of my head, but I’ve posted links to his site in the microphone section here if interested.

To go whole hog, I’ve tried an Optimum Cardioid Triangle setup a few times which uses a center forward facing cardioid and Left/Right supercarioids facing directly to the sides.  Setting up that one gets odd looks and lots of questions from fellow tapers! Obviously something like that is only usable in 2-channel stereo if you mix the three resulting channels together.. but OCT is primarily designed as an optimal way for sending each channel to individual speakers for 3 channel stereo playback.  And so it goes down the rabbit hole..

To sum it up- If you want to try 3 mics, adding a center omni, or using three spaced omnis is a good safe start.  Generally from that point on, the greater the risk taken in compromising the two channel setup, the greater the potential reward of using three channels to best effect.  And I think that is really the ‘Achilles heel’ of most of the typical 4 channel mic setups which others have found lacking in the end.  With a few exceptions we can discuss, most of those setups are not really optimized to be mixed together.  If the resulting mix does work out well, it’s more or less something of a happy accident.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:19:50 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 12:37:06 AM »
if you're gonna run 3 mics (one center omni), might as well run four mics (two omnis A-B, two cards ortf) and go Stereo x2 and mix to your liking... 
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 02:13:38 AM »
OK I'll bite, convince me why that's better.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 11:14:12 AM »
I don't know that I want to debate with the person that has probably done more multi-mic recording and mixing than anyone, and this sounds like justink's opening, but --

I don't know that I'd say mixing 2 stereo pairs is necessarily a bad thing or can't be done.  For instance, I'm pretty sure using a coincident stereo pair of either XY cards or MS is a variation on the Decca tree arrangement.

I will say I've been attempting to mix a center, near-coincident cardioid pair with a pair of spaced A-B omnis for many years now.  With the exception of multiple mics onstage, this is really the only way I've tried to mix multiple mics.  And I should say, this has always been done at outdoor shows.  And at that, I've only done it for large outdoor shows, say 8-10K people or more.

Overall, I'd agree with a lot of the comments that 2ch is often or even generally better.  I have had a handful of times where I definitely like the 4mic mix better.  For me, the hope was to get a larger, more spacious soundstage from the split omnis and get the fuller low end from the omnis that don't have the proximity effect of the cards, but have the center card pair to ground things and make sure there isn't a hole-in-the-middle effect.  The few times that it "worked", I feel I got this, and I liked the 4ch mix better than either 2ch pair.

For me, this emerged after doing a lot of outdoor, omni recordings, either with a j-disk or with split omnis.  Generally, I didn't feel I got enough stereo separation with the j-disk, and split omnis generally seemed to have a hole in the center.

So, that's the attempt, and what I think I'm buying.  In terms of specifics, a lot of it has to do with the fact that I keep running my generally preferred near-coincident card pair, so I always have that to fall back on as a 2ch recording -- no downside in attempting the 4mic recording.  From a mixing/phasing/whatever standpoint, I realize that I'd be better off with XY cards center, but I don't prefer the sound of that as a 2ch recording, and I don't want to risk screwing up my fallback 2ch recording.  Same thing for why I don't want a single card in the center or a single omni center with my flanking omnis (so something like Decca), since I still want the option of having my best/favorite 2ch card recording as an option.

On your 3mic suggestion with a center omni:  That seems like it could be good for traditional acoustic recording, I'm just wary of it as recording technique for amplified PA music.  Typically, the mix on a PA rock show has very little panned left and right, with most of the music panned pretty close to the center. (At least, I'm thinking here of the large outdoor shows I use 4mic recording at -- individual instruments and guitar cabinets add little in this case to the overall mix, it really is just the PA.)  So there is very little natural soundstage to be found -- putting an omni as a single center channel would seem to me to then just keep the recording really panned to the center, unless you kept that pretty far down in the mix (in which case you lose the benefit of the extended low end of omnis). 

As an aside, I think using a 1.5-3m spread with A-B omnis pretty much does the opposite -- on playback it creates an unnatural separation, really highly exaggerating the stereo spread, driving the sound to either come from the left speaker or the right.  Done to record an actual orchestra, this would probably sound horrible, as the stereophonic zoom would indicate.  With a very center panned PA-driven concert, it helps really make a bigger and wider soundstage than the PA was providing at the event (due to the center panning), but it also makes for a hole in the middle effect as well.  You could correct the hole in the middle effect by only splitting the omnis 0.5-1m, but then you would keep that center-panned soundstage of the PA stacks.  I think when I've got my 4mic attempts to work, it creates a bigger sounding soundstage with the wide split omnis, and then fills in the missing center of the image with the cardioid pair.

All that said, I've just recently come across the Optimum Cardioid Triangle technique.  I've been thinking I might want to try that out, though it violates my policy of not arranging my mics to keep a 2ch "out" that I can always fall back on.  I might try to do a split A-B pair of forward facing cards, with one card as the center on the OCT, and then the side facing supercard pair of the OCT.  That way I can mix the OCT attempt and still have a forward-facing A-B cardioid pair to use as a 2ch recording if I don't like the OCT.

OCT though does seem interesting to me, in that the side-facing supercard pair seems to do what the split omnis do:  make an exaggerated stereo spread, with I hope would help with the typical center-panned PA system.

Gut -- what was your experience with OCT?
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
^ Useful post, Todd.  I don't do many big outdoor shows, but I have a few coming up (Mountain Jam being one) and am thinking about setups.

I was thinking A-B 3ft split omnis + either a center card pair as you suggest, OR, similar to what Gutbucket suggests but different, what about a single center cardiod or hyper, facing forward?  Isn't that sort of the method Nak used to recommend with their 3-mic system (except I believe center was a shotgun) - or am I crazy? 

It seems that if you have that "openness" from the omnis all you want to do is "fill the hole" by getting a bunch of direct sound.  Sort of like MS, but I guess lowering the chances of the Fig8 mic picking up too much wind.

For that matter - any thoughts on outdoor M/S?  I know DigiGal has recordings using that technique.... I just feel like it'd end up being 85% M... 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Todd R

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 12:40:45 PM »
I think the old Nak 3mic thing was 2 shotguns with a center omni.  So really on par with what Gut was discussing.

For me, until I heard about the OCT arrangement, I never really saw the benefit of mixing 2 stereo pairs of directional mics (say cards and hypers) -- just didn't see what it was trying to accomplish.  Add to that the bigger potential for phase alignment problems while mixing, and I just never wanted to try it.

Which then left mixing in omni mics.  For me, omnis are just an onstage or an outdoor thing mainly.  If I'm indoors and not onstage, that means either:

a) I'm in a small chatty club environment, and I don't want omnis
b) I'm in a larger arena type environment back in an official taping section, and given the acoustics and room reverb in an arena that far back, I don't want omnis
c) I'm in a larger arena, but am taping up front out of a sanctioned taping section, and omnis would need to be head-height or so, and I'm not taking the chances on omnis where people might be talking
d) I could be stack taping, and omnis could work, but I don't do stack taping, so d) isn't happening

Overall, I'm not using omnis indoors (save onstage like I said), so I'm not doing 4mic mixes indoors.

I did actually do a 4mic mix with omnis for a Trey show in Boulder's Fox theater which sounds excellent, and that is one of the rare times I did a 4mic omni mix indoors period, and it turns out I like it better than the 2ch recording.

I guess I have done a few outdoor shows that were more like 2000 people, but generally my outdoor shows are more in the 10K realm -- Red Rocks shows and festivals mainly.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards

Offline Todd R

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 12:43:32 PM »
Oops, ramble, ramble -- forgot I wanted to add:

If you're at a larger festival and doing a 4mic mix with omnis, you might want to spread them 4 feet or more.  Again, idea being exaggerate the stereo separation, then make up for that by adding in the center cardioid or card pair.

If I were to only separate the omnis 1.5 to 3 feet, I'd be more tempted to not then mess with a 4mic mix and just instead use the 2ch A-B pair of omnis.

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 01:33:56 PM »
I run a "phased array" indoors at a club all the time. This is omnis spread @3ft with a cardioid pair in the middle. Sometimes I mix the 4 channels if the PA is thin, but mostly it's to hedge my bets and the undying hope that the crowd will behave. If the crowd is good, then I get the sweet omni heat. If it's chatty, then I have the cards to fall back on.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 07:05:56 PM »
OK I'll bite, convince me why that's better.

i'm just thinking it's easier to handle in post as well as accomplishing what one omni would as well...

but as someone else mentioned, i would imagine the omnis would kill your stereo image a bit, right?  (unless you were running dfc with a wide split)
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 07:22:16 PM »
I completely endorse the general idea of retaining a standard two channel setup whenever possible and building upon or adding separately to that to try different things.  Not enough can be said for being able to fall back on a tested and trusted setup if something doesn’t work out or something fails.  Besides redundancy, working that way provides what I think is the greatest tool we have for deciding if whatever new approach we’re trying is actually getting us anywhere- direct comparison of the new setup to your known, tested and trusted one- same date, same location, same material.

I wouldn’t say mixing two stereo pairs is a necessarily bad thing, only that in my experience I’ve found 3 mic mixes easier to get just as good or better sounding results consistently.. and that when a couple stereo pairs are setup for good stereo by themselves, mixing the them together may not bring enough constant benefits to make it worthwhile if both were arranged in close physical proximity on the same stand.  I see that done frequently and if it works for you great, I’m not telling anyone not to do that.  For comparing two separate stereo recordings it’s certainly the best way to go. But I’m not convinced that’s an optimal approach if the goal is a mix of the both which improves on either alone.  Great for redundancy and comparison though.

Why not? And why do I think mixing 3 mics is likely to be a better bet?  Well, I’m not totally sure honestly, it’s a combination of things I think- some practical, some technical (too much correlation between too many mics).  More on that, and other things like thoughts on OCT (and multi omni imaging) later. 

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 12:49:12 PM »
Some reasons why mixing 3 main mics instead of 4 down to two channel stereo might be less problematic (the short answer is things get complicated quickly)-

I think the technical aspect of the problem is too much correlation between multiple mics- which translates as potential phasing problems (audible as ‘phasing’ or not) by having 4 mics in relatively close proximity pointing more or less in the same direction, not totally coincident but also not far enough from each other for the extra ones to be effectively decorellated.  The reasoning behind this is related to the concept behind the 3:1 rule for individual stage mics, even though the 3:1 rule doesn’t apply to stereo mic’ing, because stereo is all about managing the correlation.  Four mics mixed together is much more likely to work when the two pairs are NOT positioned close to each other- examples are a near-spaced main pair and wide-enough spaced outrigger pair (note that the outrigger pair is then probably so wide it will be too decorellated to be useful on it’s own) OR two stereo pairs that are not in close proximity on one stand- say one pair on stage and another back in the audience.  That can work really well. It gives you control over balancing the direct sound and the room sound, and there are no problems mixing them because the distance between pairs decorellates them from each other.

Practical aspects of the problem: Even with a single stereo pair it’s more difficult to setup moderately wide mic spacings.  I find tapers often setup mics closer together than what might be ideal simply as a practical matter. I regularly see two channel A-B omni setups which are closer than than they should be simply because of practical setup reasons (mic bar is only so long, heavy mics on long bars are hard to support, sightlines, multiple stands are a huge hassle, we can’t do just anything we’d like, etc).  Same goes for directional mics setup without much angle between them.  Many tapers tend to pay more attention to mic angle than spacing, often adjusting angle depending on the venue but leaving the spacing the same.  Narrow mic angles without enough spacing result in too much correlation, which can be reduced by either increasing the angle between them (for directionals), the spacing between them (any pattern), or both.  We don’t want too little corellation either, it’s a balance.  That’s just two channel stereo.  When two mic channels are played back over two speakers, too much collelation simply sounds overly mono but doesn’t cause other problems. Too little makes the speakers sound like separate sources and leaves a hole in the middle, but doesn’t cause other problems.  With more than two mics mixed together to two channels, potential problems arise.

When more mics are introduced into a two channel mix, more space and/or angle between them is needed.  It becomes increasingly difficult to do that as more mics are added which aren’t exactly coincident or spaced far enough apart.

If you want to mix two pairs which are relatively near-spaced, it’s likely to work better if one set is coincident and the other is spaced/angled more than you would otherwise.  That way you have 3 mic locations even though you are using 4 mics.  If you want to use a near-spaced center pair, space the second pair far enough away or point them far enough away in a different direction.

SBD + AUD works well partly because the AUD is decorellated from the SBD by distance.  That setup favors a wider than normal AUD (which is more L/R decorellated) because the SBD, being mono or predominantly so, has plenty of L/R correlation itself and fills the center.  Wide spaced omnis which would have a huge hole in the middle on their own work great when matixed with a SBD for that reason, each stays out of the other’s way.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 03:47:39 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 03:46:32 PM »
Mixing (ignoring all that correlation business for this post).

To me, mixing three mic channels down to two is simpler than mixing four.  And four down to two using a coincident center pair is simpler than mixing four with a non-coincident center pair, although none of those need be complicated.

If all you are doing in mixing 4 mic channels is adjusting the relative levels between two stereo tracks and summing them, that’s pretty simple.  That’s a totally legitimate choice, but there are other options which you could exploit if you wanted to, and that makes it potentially more complex. With three mic channels those potential mix decisions are fewer, not that you have to take advantage of them all, but you can adjust them if you choose.

With three mic channels mixed to two, the panning choices are straight forward: pan the left mic channel hard left, the right mic channel hard right, and the center mic channel to the center.  Adjust levels. That’s it.. no more complicated than simple summing of two stereo channels. Of course you can do more than that, and having three raw tacks to work with gives additional options over two channels such as EQing the center channel and the L/R pair differently if you want in addition to or instead of EQing the 2 channel mix.  Same goes for any other processing such as dynamics or whatever.

With four mic channels you add another level of complexity since you can now adjust the panning width and balance of the center pair instead of simply panning a single mic channel to the middle.  When I was using four omnis across the front of the stage frequently, I’d often pan either side of the center pair towards the center somewhat instead of panning them hard Left/Right, which helped firm up the middle and distribute everything evenly across the playback image.  Sometimes the Left channel got panned more to center than the right, or the other way around- whatever worked and sounded best.  That provided good direct sound stage coverage while recording since any one of the four mics was likely to be close to a sound source no matter its location on stage (except for things all the way in the back) and also gave me the mixing flexibility just described which I didn’t have with two channels alone.  But I eventually decided 3 channels of omnis across the front were enough and did pretty much the same job, with less panning decisions, less gear, and less channels to deal with.  Practicality. 

The other factor for me in going to 3 main mic channels instead of four, which doesn’t apply as much around here, was that in addition to 2 channel, I was also playing this stuff back on a multichannel system with three front speakers, so the simplicity of directly routing three main mic channels to individual speakers became attractive.

[edit] I realize that some here use software designed primarily for editing stereo tracks, which may not have simple pan or route to center controls for a mono file.  In that case copying the single center mic channel to make identical Left/Right copies, then mixing those with the Left/Right mic channel stereo file is the same as panning that single center mic channel to center. Not that complicated, but it is an extra step beyond simply summing two stereo tracks, so in that case it is slightly more complicated.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 03:57:00 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 05:46:32 PM »
Marking thread.
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 01:52:17 PM »
I run a "phased array" indoors at a club all the time.

Four mics in relatively close proximity can work, it’s just trickier.  The fact that it’s called a “phased array” is insightful in that such a setup exploits the complex phase relationship between multiple near-spaced mics.  Tony Faulkner, the world-class classical recording engineer who developed that setup, certainly knows what he’s doing!  In my thinking, the most important difference between Mr Faulkner’s use of his ‘phased array’ setup and ours is not necessarily that he is recording orchestras in great acoustic halls and we’re recording amplified bands in bars, but that he listens very carefully and adjusts the setup to get it just right before recording, where we more or less throw mics up, record, and really only get to listen critically later.

If I were to only separate the omnis 1.5 to 3 feet, I'd be more tempted to not then mess with a 4mic mix and just instead use the 2ch A-B pair of omnis.

I agree.  IMO, the benefits of thee omnis becomes apparent when spacing the outside pair 3’ apart or more.  If the center omni is included, 4’- 6’ between the outside pair is better in my experience, which means a distance from center omni to each outside one of 2’- 3’ or so and that’s the distance I feel like I can split two omnis safely without the luxury of being able to listen closely before pushing record.

I was thinking A-B 3ft split omnis + either a center card pair as you suggest, OR, similar to what Gutbucket suggests but different, what about a single center cardiod or hyper, facing forward? [snip..]

It seems that if you have that "openness" from the omnis all you want to do is "fill the hole" by getting a bunch of direct sound.  Sort of like MS, but I guess lowering the chances of the Fig8 mic picking up too much wind.

For that matter - any thoughts on outdoor M/S?  I know DigiGal has recordings using that technique.... I just feel like it'd end up being 85% M...

A directional center mic can work well between wide spaced omnis by helping to focus on the direct sound like you say.  In that sense it is conceptually similar to matrixing a spaced omni AUD with SBD to reinforce the center with clear, direct sound.  I’ve used a supercardioid before and also a Blumlein pair in a M/S arrangement as a center mic between wide spaced omnis, which gave me loads of options using only 4 mic channels in 3 mic locations.  The few times I did this I only spaced the omnis about 3', partly because that was my 'standard config' which I'd run there before and gotten good results with (Spirit of the Suwannee amphitheater)and I wanted to keep that unchanged as a basis for comparison.  Doing it there again I'd split them 6' if possible.  Here's some of the options which that gave me to play around with using the resulting 4 mic channels:

Two channel L/R stereo-
● L/R= Blumlein stereo
● L/R= Blumlein stereo mixed with the wide spaced L/R omnis.
● L/R= omnis mixed with forward facing figure-8 panned center.

Three channel L/C/R stereo-
● L/R= omnis, Center= forward facing figure-8.
● L/R= Blumlein (M/S adjusted wider than normal), C= forward facing figure-8
..etc

5/6 channel surround-
● L/R= Blumlein (M/S adjusted wider than normal), C= forward facing figure-8, Ls/Rs= wide spaced omnis. Optional Center-Back surround= side facing figure-8 (delayed)
● L/R= omnis, Center= forward figure-8, Ls=side facing figure-8, Rs= side facing figure-8 with reversed polarity.
● etc..

The multiple channels available on the DR-680 gives me lots of options to play around without messing up my standard setup.  This year at Springfest instead of running the wide omnis with Blumlein at the center, I essentially ran two rigs into one recorder: The first was 3 spaced omnis in a Decca tree-like arrangement with a 6' wide spacing on the L/R mics and the center omni about 1-1/2' forward (actually 4 omnis, the extra one extending out to the rear of the triangle just for use as a surround channel), the second setup was a pair of Gefell cardioids in ORTF at the center of the Decca tree triangle.  I've listened to both setups seperately, but haven't had the time to play around with combining them and that wasn't my primary intent anyway. 

That setup sounds complicated, but everything was pre-rigged on a single small stand which I could walk in with and attach to a large stand I had staked down FOB and all six mics went into the one recorder, so it wasn't difficult to run.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:56:03 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 04:52:20 PM »
[snip..]
Generally, I didn't feel I got enough stereo separation with the j-disk, and split omnis generally seemed to have a hole in the center.

I felt the same way with the J-disk, I liked the baffle effect, but always wanted more spacing.  With that idea in mind I built one big enough to work with a wider mic spacing, but never had the gall to fly it.  I’ve thought about using two normal sized baffles, one for each mic with the typical mic to J-disk spacing distance on each, which could then be spaced farther apart and even angled, but never perused that farther than the idea stage.  Just too unwieldy.

With either wide spaced or baffled omnis, the best answer for me has been a third omni in the center.  The difference in application (not sound) is that three non-baffled omnis need to be spaced more, like the 3’ between each, 6’ total I've mentioned above.  Baffling allows me to get away with spacing the mics less, allowing me to still use three placed closer than I could otherwise by making them more directional. 

An unused stage monitor at the center-front of the stage can be used as a 3 omni baffle with small omnis by simply  taping them to each face of the monitor, but usually I just space the omnis for stage-lip or on-stage use without using a baffle.  Most of the time when I use the near-spaced baffled 3 omni technique (actually in my case 4 omnis, with the extra mic baffled and facing away from the stage to eliminate as much direct stage sound as possible for use as a surround channel, also sometimes useful for adding additional room ambience or crowd reaction in the 2 channel mix) I am the baffle. In that case the L/R omnis are spaced ~20”.  All the mics are baffled, the center and back ones more so, the center facing forwards and the L/R facing the sides.  From the best location, in a good room I prefer this even over wider spaced unbaffled omnis as the imaging is more precise, though the envelopment and bigness is somewhat less than wider omnis, which may be somewhat unnatural anyway, but sounds good to me.  But that technique doesn’t work well for much of what is recorded around here in a standing crowd.

On your 3mic suggestion with a center omni:  That seems like it could be good for traditional acoustic recording, I'm just wary of it as recording technique for amplified PA music.  Typically, the mix on a PA rock show has very little panned left and right, with most of the music panned pretty close to the center. (At least, I'm thinking here of the large outdoor shows I use 4mic recording at -- individual instruments and guitar cabinets add little in this case to the overall mix, it really is just the PA.)  So there is very little natural soundstage to be found..

To me that’s an argument for what may be an unnaturally wide (if very good sounding) stage which three non-baffled omnis produce.  It also gets back to the thing about why record a mono PA or solo acoustic performer in stereo at all.  Even a single point source on stage or a mono PA fills the room and produces a complex soundfield.  And that soundfield where your mics are (or head is) is very 3-dimentional. 

As an aside, I think using a 1.5-3m spread with A-B omnis pretty much does the opposite -- on playback it creates an unnatural separation, really highly exaggerating the stereo spread, driving the sound to either come from the left speaker or the right.  Done to record an actual orchestra, this would probably sound horrible, as the stereophonic zoom would indicate.  With a very center panned PA-driven concert, it helps really make a bigger and wider soundstage than the PA was providing at the event (due to the center panning), but it also makes for a hole in the middle effect as well.  You could correct the hole in the middle effect by only splitting the omnis 0.5-1m, but then you would keep that center-panned soundstage of the PA stacks.  I think when I've got my 4mic attempts to work, it creates a bigger sounding soundstage with the wide split omnis, and then fills in the missing center of the image with the cardioid pair.

The middle mic fills the wide spacing for orchestra recording, which is the basis of the classic wide A-B 3-mic Mercury label technique from the ‘50s which had all three mics quite widely spaced in a line across the front of the orchestra.  Like the not as widelly spaced Decca tree technique, they mixed those three channels down to 2 for LP, though I understand the original 3 channel recordings were made available as SACD or DVDA multichannel releases in the early ‘00s.  I've never heard them myself.

The mostly mono two channel PA with stacks on each side of the stage is an odd animal in the acoustic world.  I think wide 2 channel omni splits can work better for concert recording (if tricky to predict) than for acoustic material or anywhere else specifically because of that.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 05:11:59 PM »
Generally, I didn't feel I got enough stereo separation with the j-disk, and split omnis generally seemed to have a hole in the center.
I felt the same way with the J-disk, I liked the baffle effect, but always wanted more spacing.  With that idea in mind I built one big enough to work with a wider mic spacing, but never had the gall to fly it.

Did you guys ever try the J-disk with tighter mic spacing, i.e. mics closer to the disk?  Using a j-disk, in my experience: the tighter the spacing, the greater the stereo separation.  I've gotten the spacing too tight before, producing too much stereo separation -- though it was fairly up close for an unamplified vocal performance.
Roland R-05

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 05:20:16 PM »
For the original poster:  it's difficult to advise how to achieve a "fuller sound" without samples of recordings with which you're dissatisfied, details about the environments in and types of music which you record, and more information about how you use the C4s (e.g. which caps, in what configurations, location and height relative to sound source, etc.).  Without those details, the thread will continue to be interesting with respect to multiple mic channels, but not particularly helpful relative to your specific needs.
Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2012, 01:49:15 AM »
The bulk of my experience with the J-disk comes from another Springfest 5 years ago or so at the same venue mentioned above, using a normal sized disk- varying both the mic spacing and fore/back position on the disk a lot during a couple sacrifical test sets, and leaving it set in a few different positions for the non-sacrificial ones. That was recording from the audience FOB at about the apex of an equalateral triangle with the PA stacks. I heard the increased seperation you mention with the mics close, which at some point began to shadow the center, maybe more in timbre than level.  I remember thinking a lot about how far around the front of the disk each mic could 'see' and how much overlap there was.  With the mics really close, the overall timbre and the center of the image particularly seemed to have the high frequencies rolled off significantly which I didn't care much for, but what bothered me more than that was the lack of the open and wide feel I could only get with more spacing, and that's what got me thinking about a big enough disk to be able to space the mics somewhat more, while trying to keep the same angle around the front that the mics could 'see', which made the disk get large fast. 

I prefered the J-disk onstage, but only did that a few times as I moved on to multiple spaced omnis for that which were less visually intrusive and I liked how 3 or 4 spaced omnis were more likely to place at least one mic closer to each performer or whatever was going on when I was recording at stage-lip.  From farther back, spacing the mics more without the disk worked better for me and was easier.  The two disk idea morphed into the much more practical experiments with mounting the miniature omnis in small diameter balls to make them a bit more directional in the high frequencies so I didn't have to space them as much.  I still do that at that same venue for Bear Creek in the fall, where I'm runing way up front at the stage-lip or railing and need to keep the 4-way decca tree smaller and more managable so I limit it to a 3' L/R spacing or less and use the balls on all 4 mics. 

Apologies to the original poster for pretty much comandeering the thread.

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2012, 02:44:15 PM »
I have not seen this mentioned on this thread, (maybe I missed it) but a good use of 3 channels is a Double M/S configuration.  A DMS rig adds a rear facing cardioid to the standard “Mid cardioid /Side figure-8” M/S configuration.  Adding this rear facing cardioid does two things:

1. Allows you to have any front facing (and rear facing too if you want) virtual microphone pair of any pattern at any mic angle, and you can do it in post production.  If, for example, you want to hear what a Blumlein pair sounds like you can do it after you have made the recording.

2. Allows you to easily derive 5 surround channels from three microphones.

This paper describes the M/S technique, but it illustrates how by varying the middle mic pickup pattern and the Mid Side balance you can have any virtual mic pair at any angle.

http://www.wesdooley.com/pdf/technique.pdf

By using a Mid “twin” mic such as a Sennheiser MKH800 Twin or a Neavton MC404 plus a Side figure-8 you can set up a DMS rig with only two mic bodies.  I have used DMS as my standard mic configuration for several years now due to its flexibility and low profile.

So what to do with the 4th channel?  Often I'll use it as a spot mic for soloists or for vocals.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 09:48:49 PM by notlance »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2012, 05:56:01 PM »
DMS is a great maximization of possibilities from three channels.  However, like four channel ambisonic systems (which are basically similar but also capture height info) it’s limited to coincident mic techniques only.  The setups available with DMS and ambisionic mic are excellent representations of any coincident technique which can be tweaked to perfection after the fact (which really is the most amazing part), but if means giving up any spacing/time-information in your recordings if that is something you like. 

Because it’s always coincident, basic decoding for up to 4 horizontal channels works well, but 5 or more channel surround is somewhat compromised in theory (multiple first order virtual mic patterns begin to overlap too much).  I have an Tetramic ambisonic system but have only used it to output two channels at this point so I can't confirm that from experience.  More advanced decoding techniques which I don't understand are becoming available though, which may make that less of an issue in the future.  AFAIK that is not available yet in the Schoeps DMS plugin.

notlance, have your used DMS to derive 5 channel surround? If so, what was your real world impression?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2012, 06:48:06 PM »
I've just recently come across the Optimum Cardioid Triangle technique.  I've been thinking I might want to try that out, though it violates my policy of not arranging my mics to keep a 2ch "out" that I can always fall back on.
[snip]

Didn't want to forget you Todd before I shut up.

In its original form OCT was designed around 3 channel L/C/R playback and surround recording if additional channels are recorded, but not 2 channel stereo.  The interesting thing about OCT is that it is designed to minimize unwanted crosstalk between the front three channels by using both the directivity of the mics and the spacing between them.  In that sense it was optimized specifically for three channel L/C/R recording without any concern for 2 channel compatibility.

There is a newer revised version called OCT2 which is supposedly adapts the original setup for 2 channel compatibility.  OCT2 moves the center mic farther forward and adds a short delay to it to compensate.  I think the idea there is the whole multiple near-spaced mics correlation thing again.  If I understand what’s going on with correctly with the OCT2 changes, moving the center mic physically forward decorellates it from the side facing pair enough (decorellates the diffuse field sound) to allow the three channels to be mixed to two without problems, while the delay brings the direct sound arriving from the forward direction back into the same timing relationship as OCT.  Head spin that one.  So if 2 channel output is the goal, then OCT2 is theoretically the one you’d want.  I’m not sure the difference is significant or not for what we do.

I’ve run OCT/OCT2 a couple times on-stage as an experimental thing when I already had a standard setup going and could just throw the side facing supercards up too.  The array dimensions were accurate, but the setup was a bit bastardized.  I used 24” spaced ADK TL’s in supercardioid as L/R and had two different mics I could use as the center which were already setup in my alternate rigs- one was a Tetramic at about the OCT center placement, only vertically higher (which probably decorellated it as much as moving it forward).  I could decode that to a forward facing cardioid. The other was a 4060 omni boundary mounted on the stage surface farther forward at about OCT2 center placement. I listened in three channel (and surround using two other room mics) to get a feel for what it could do and really liked the separation and angular precision of the forward image.  I never bothered mixing the three channels down to two or applying the OCT2 delay for those listening tests.  My feeling was that the setup is great if ultimate imaging accuracy in three channel playback is the goal, and can see that it may work well for two channels as well (given the added complexity of adding the delay, if it’s even needed).  I also listened to just the spaced side facing supercards alone in two channel to see what they sounded like, and was surprised that it wasn’t nearly as bad as I figured it would be- wide and side sensitive, and mostly more diffuse and less direct for onstage sound.

In the end I decided to use other techniques for that on-going gig because precise angular imaging was NOT what was most important for me in that scenario.  The gig is a jazz trio with upright bass on one side of the drum kit and electric guitar on the other.  The stage volume and projection of the guitar amp can overwhelm the delicate jazz drum work and the bass if recording from a perfectly centered stage location, so I usually setup directly in front of the bass on the snare side of the kit and arrange the mics to look across the kit towards the more distant guitar to balances things in both level and in image.  I can’t easily physically arrange the OCT setup to do that, and if I could the left supercardioid would face the audience more than I’d like.  So I choose not to use it there specifically because I want a form of imaging distortion that OCT was designed to eliminate.  I’d like to use it more in the right situation where I’ perfectly centered, the room is good, and want to capture the imaging exactly as it is in the mic location, but all that is rare for us.

I might try to do a split A-B pair of forward facing cards, with one card as the center on the OCT, and then the side facing supercard pair of the OCT.  That way I can mix the OCT attempt and still have a forward-facing A-B cardioid pair to use as a 2ch recording if I don't like the OCT.

That’s a great idea, and is sure to completely confuse any other taper with the two offset mic pairs. I’d move the forward facing cards a bit forward, and wouldn’t worry much about micro-delaying things unless you want to.

OCT though does seem interesting to me, in that the side-facing supercard pair seems to do what the split omnis do:  make an exaggerated stereo spread, with I hope would help with the typical center-panned PA system.

Exactly, and that’s something of what I heard in listening to the supercardioid pair alone, but interestingly it didn’t really suffer from over-wide-omni hole in the middle. I thought it interesting that the null of each side facing supercardioid mic points more or less at the opposing edge of the Stereo Recording Angle- similar to Blumlein, and the backwards facing opposite polarity lobe of each introduces low level opposite polarity information for any sounds arriving farther to the sides.  Pretty ingenious and elegant arrangement. 

I love Blumlein while also generally prefering mic setups that are not coincident, so OCT really intrigues me.  Though it seems a bit perfectionist in general for concert tapers.

Whew, another essay!

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2012, 06:42:20 PM »
Some of my favorite 4 channel STRICTLY AUD tapes are 4 mic onstage mix downs.
Sweet omni/sub spread with cards in the middle.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline crossthreaded

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2012, 10:52:42 PM »
I made the jump to 4 channels about 2 years ago and I am very happy that I did.  I use it mostly for sbd matrix recordings but also use it for mic comparison and matrix of 2 mic sets.  It has really helped out when I can place omni mics on stage and use the house snake to run back to my FOB set of audience mics.

here is a show I taped last month that came out very nicely of some 184's and 460's.

http://archive.org/details/fb2012-03-23.akg461-km184-matrix

I've become friends with the owner of a local studio and he lets me borrow whatever mics I want from time to time.

I will warn you that immediately after going to 4 channels I realized that still wasn't enough.  Lately I have been borrowing Soul Intent's DR07 when I need to run 6 channels, but that is almost more work that it is worth so I will be stepping up to an 8 channel rig sometime in the near future.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:55:23 PM by crossthreaded »
akg 460/ck61>cables>busman T mod R4
stuff > rio > es > cl5 > nexo

Offline chinariderstl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2012, 08:59:54 AM »
I am totally new to the 4-channel thing, but am looking into it.  Would you ever run split omni's (say 3ft apart) on the same stand, same location as your card pairs (say DIN in the middle)?  This is the mic matrix setup I am considering into an R-44.  I am, of course, also interested in doing a stereo board feed + a pair of cards into the R-44.

Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2012, 11:32:44 AM »
I am totally new to the 4-channel thing, but am looking into it.  Would you ever run split omni's (say 3ft apart) on the same stand, same location as your card pairs (say DIN in the middle)?  This is the mic matrix setup I am considering into an R-44.  I am, of course, also interested in doing a stereo board feed + a pair of cards into the R-44.

You can read the thinking a bit further up in this thread, but I think a general rule of thumb is there is some validity to split omnis + a center pair, especially outdoors.  Less so w/r/t other combinations of just mics in the same location.  For example, I ran cards + hypers the other night, mostly to see what I liked better. The combined result is not better and sounds "odd".  Sometimes I have gotten results I liked by combining a bunch of mics on the same stand, but generally I think it's something to be avoided.  It also depends a lot on the flavors of mic you are combining.  I find that a super-bright mic like the Neumann 150s is good to pair with things if you are including the Neumanns to provide a lot of "upfront" sound and brightness; of all the multi-mic mixes I've liked many of the best have involved those mics.

I'd say the best uses of the extra channels are: (1) SBD+AUD, (2) Mics placed in various locations (miking actual instruments or people, or say onstage + FOB/DFC) and (3) split omnis + something outdoors.

For me, I do (1) the vast majority of the time. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Todd R

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2012, 02:53:30 PM »
I've just recently come across the Optimum Cardioid Triangle technique.  I've been thinking I might want to try that out, though it violates my policy of not arranging my mics to keep a 2ch "out" that I can always fall back on.
[snip]

Didn't want to forget you Todd before I shut up.

<snip>

Whew, another essay!

Thanks much Gut, esp for this, and for your other essays in this thread.  There are specific things I'd like to achieve with my attempts at 4ch mic recording.  I've attempted them numerous times, almost always with the same goal in mind.  I haven't gone into it without thinking at all about it, but haven't put anywhere near enough thought as necessary into it, nor investigated the theory as much as you.  I appreciate all the insights from your trials and your research.

My own attempts have had quite varied results, reflecting to a large extent that I'm never that serious about it -- it is always just a why-not-try-it thing to go along with 2ch recording -- plus I'm not motivated to really lug stuff out into the wild to make it happen, so I make do with whatever clamping arrangements I can make out at a show, and try to get as close as I can to the mic arrangement I'm after without bringing 3+ mic stands to a show or whatever.

On that basis, I am getting close to stopping the experiments and just focusing on 2ch recordings.  I really might though have to try at least a couple of times to do the OCT/OCT2 thing.  Seems pretty interesting.

Plus of course it would be great to confuse everyone with side-facing mics and odd mic pairings. :P

BTW, totally agree with you that running 4ch in the sense of two 2ch rigs not with the intent to mix the 4ch together but to learn and compare new techniques and equipment to the old tried-and-true stereo pair is a great reason to run 4 channels.  You can learn a lot and really better understand your equipment and your techniques.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2012, 04:52:53 PM »
I’m back in town after some time away and wanted to add one more thing before the thread trails off, obscured by overgrowth-

While most of what I outlined above focus on avoiding problems in mixing multiple mics down to the same channel by getting sufficient distance (and/or angle) between them, there is another way to avoid those problems mixing two near-spaced pairs.  I mention this to not only complete the essay on ways to avoid problems mixing multiple mics down to stereo, but also because it may be the most practical thing to do for mixing two pairs setup the typical way on a single stand.

Instead of trying to get sufficient distance between the different microphones, you can go the other way and set up the two pairs so that the mic diaphragms on either side are coincident.  In other words, arrange the two Left mics with their capsules as close together as possible, typically one stacked directly above the other.  Do the same for the two Right mics.  You can angle the mics differently if you like.  In that way you have a Left1/Left2 coincident pair and a Right1/Right2 coincident pair, with only two physical microphone locations.

That arrangement allows for good comparison between the separate stereo setups by minimizing variables of mic position and pair spacing, while also allowing mixing the two without phase cancellations.  Similar to using a coincident stereo pair to assure mono mix-down compatibility, the coincident arrangement of mics on either side makes mixing the two stereo pairs less problematic by minimizing the phase differences between them.   That arrangement won’t provide the same benefits of combining multiple mics which are decorellated by sufficient distance, but there are other reasons which may make it attractive, beyond simple comparison. 

Combining the coincident pairs will alter the pickup pattern on each side as well as changing the sound timbre.  Mixing two coincident directional mics will morph between the two patterns (and timbres) depending on the mixing levels.  If the mics are pointed in different directions the virtual pattern angle will combine and rotate between them as well.. and might be useful in pointing one pair wider and the other closer to parallel.

Some specialty mics which contain multiple diaphrams and separate outputs for each work in this way.  Instead of providing a two channel stereo output from the mic, the output is two mono signals designed to be recorded separately and mixed to a single channel later while adjusting the pickup pattern as desired.  In that case one capsule is an omni and one is a figure-8.  By mixing them together in various proportions, the user can select any polar pattern desired from omni through cardioid to figure-8.  The user can also flip polarity on the figure-8 to point the mic in the opposite direction (but can’t otherwise control the virtual mic rotation).

Another use is extending the low frequency response of a directional mic buy mixing it with a coincidently located omni.  To do that without changing the pickup pattern of the directional mic above the reinforced low frequency region, the omni needs to be low-passed.  The filter used is typically an inverse of the low end rolloff of the directional mic.  That setup operates something like a speaker crossover-  Each mic operates in a separate frequency range with a smaller region of crossover overlap between.  Most of the information on the OCT setups I’ve seen using Schoeps mics discuss the option of adding coincident omnis with in-line low pass filters co-located with the Left/Right supercards to extend the low end response.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:00:11 AM by Gutbucket »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2012, 12:47:53 AM »
I love this thread :) I run 4chan and I DO NOT matrix the 2 sources together. I just like compoaring and enjoying the different sources on their own. And I have a DR2D to do those SBD/DAUD Mixes if I ever need to :)

LOTS of good info in this thread :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline chinariderstl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2012, 11:29:22 AM »

here is a show I taped last month that came out very nicely of some 184's and 460's.

This sounds f*cking awesome!  Love those German mics! :)

I have AKG 481's (and 391's) but still want me a pair of KM184's.  :P

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2012, 11:47:36 AM »

You know there is that reasonably priced set of TWalker's still calling your name in the YS, right?  >:D

Offline chinariderstl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2012, 11:56:19 AM »

You know there is that reasonably priced set of TWalker's still calling your name in the YS, right?  >:D

Oh, believe me, I know! I've been drooling over those since they went up.  ;)

Offline crossthreaded

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2012, 10:56:02 PM »

thanks dude! I was quite happy with it for the crappy PA I was pulling off of.

if my buddy didn't have some that I could borrow anytime I want I would have already pulled the trigger on the ones in the yard sale.  hell I still might pick them up if they are there much longer
akg 460/ck61>cables>busman T mod R4
stuff > rio > es > cl5 > nexo

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2012, 12:01:50 PM »
Doug Oade's thoughts, quoted in this thread.  I'm re-posting his quote here because of his statements about these mic configs.  The suggestions for which channels to use is in reference to his Concert Mod on the original Edirol R-4 and can be disregarded for the sake of this discussion. 

[snip] A 4 microphone recording works best with the primary coincident directional mic pair( i.e. 90° X-Y hypercardioids) on channels 3 and 4 with a secondary or flanking pair of omnidirectional mics on channels 1 and 2. 4 directional mic mixes are not recommended. 3 microphone mixes should use channels 3 and 4 as a primary pair and channel 1 or 2 as the center mic. The use of an omni center channel, aligned with the coincident primary pair typically produces the best results for 3 mic mixes.

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2012, 04:01:43 AM »
I run 4ch mic mixes all the time. Either super cards or cards + wide cards (schoeps mk41/mk5 + mk22) or sometimes I'll run the mk5's omni if outside. I compare sources first then start mixing. More times than not I really like the combination. I very rarely mix it 50/50. There is typically a dominate stereo pair that I like and if the mix adds something I like to the sound I keep it. This technique may not be recommended, but I like it and it sounds really nice to my ears.
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2012, 10:55:47 AM »
I run 4ch mic mixes all the time. Either super cards or cards + wide cards (schoeps mk41/mk5 + mk22) or sometimes I'll run the mk5's omni if outside. I compare sources first then start mixing. More times than not I really like the combination. I very rarely mix it 50/50. There is typically a dominate stereo pair that I like and if the mix adds something I like to the sound I keep it. This technique may not be recommended, but I like it and it sounds really nice to my ears.

^this, definitely a dominant stereo pair exists in each particular recording event.  My pairs are XY cards and spread omnis, at different spread distances for different results.. starting to look into the SRA (stereo recording angle), but I forgot where that cool link was...
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2012, 11:16:55 AM »

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2012, 01:01:04 PM »
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2012, 08:35:12 PM »
At one point, Core Sound was working on a 4 channel preamp which multiplexed the four signals into a two channel SPDIF stream for recording on a stereo recorder with SPDIF input, but dropped development of it.  I assume it would require software decoding afterwards go from 2 to 4 channels again before you could do anything with the audio.  Web page is still up- http://www.core-sound.com/4Mic/1.php  Sort of like ADAT S/MUX in reverse it seems to me.

But I'd guess that  technique is different than using frequency modulation (or maybe not, I'm in over my head).  The FM idea reminds me of one flavor of quadrophonic LP encoding which used  FM modulation of ultrasonic frequencys to store the information for the extra two channels, I forget which that was.  At least with digital it would work reliably.

With either technique, it would be pretty cool to be able to record eight 24/48 tracks to a stereo 24/192 recorder with digital input!

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2012, 09:28:59 PM »
Interesting.  Yeah, I was mentally mixing up Frequency Modulation radio transmission with the side-band audio carrier stereo technique.  Thanks for the clarification all around.  Interesting idea, could be useful for less critical audio on the extra channels.  Thinking rear surround channels, or a mostly mono soundboard recording just recorded to reinforce vocals and details on a primary AUD.

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2013, 09:04:35 AM »
Lots of good stuff in this (old) thread, thanks to everyone who input.

I just thought I would chime in with my (very limited) 4-channel experience. My operations are purely stealth, so this is very different to all the advice given previously which seems to relate to open taping. I ran a 4-channel stealth set up last week, B3's (omnis) on shoulders in rough A-B, so approx 400mm separation, and CK930's (cards) in hat-mount above temples, pointing inwards slightly, both mic pairs going into an R-26. So visually, face-on, the mics were in a roughly triangular arrangement. I recorded at the front of the stage, centre. Purists might argue this is not a good place to tape, but I had a close-up and direct line of sight to all instruments on-stage (small stage at that). 

I have to say that the results are better than I could ever have hoped.  The mix of the omni's and cards (50:50) has brought out the best of both sets of mics. For this set-up at least, the matrix is noticeably better than either single source. The B3's picked up the kick drum well, but the snare drum hits were better represented on the CK930's. I would normally EQ my B3 recordings to brighten things up a tad, but when mixed with the CK930's with the 10k bump I found this was not needed as the two mics seem to compliment each other very well. Added bonus is that stereo imaging is great.  No phasing issues of any kind, and mixing 2 x time and machine-synched files was a total breeze. 

Wherever possible, this is going to be my stealth set up of choice from now on.  But does anybody else have any good stealth 4-channel suggestions they can make, possibly some clever way of adapting my set up to provide even better results?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:09:52 AM by yates7592 »

Offline sacchini

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2013, 03:34:44 PM »
Interesting post, Yates7592.
In a few days I'm going to use my R26 but I've only cards external mics so I'm just going to record 4 channels for mics comparison purpose and not for doing a Matrix (or should I give it a try anyway?).
Is it difficult to make a well sounding matrix?
Do you trust tools and techniques or just your ears?

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
Is it difficult to make a well sounding matrix?
Do you trust tools and techniques or just your ears?

As with other aspects of taping (or any skill/knowledge task); just about anyone can make one, many people can make a decent or good one, but only a very select few can make a great one. It doesn't hurt to try, you're out time and effort, but it requires a lot of practice (both in post production and the math/placement required during setup) to get to the point of making a great one.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline sacchini

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2013, 04:11:47 PM »
As with other aspects of taping (or any skill/knowledge task); just about anyone can make one, many people can make a decent or good one, but only a very select few can make a great one. It doesn't hurt to try, you're out time and effort, but it requires a lot of practice (both in post production and the math/placement required during setup) to get to the point of making a great one.
It makes sense...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.259 seconds with 82 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com