Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Strange noise in recording  (Read 1868 times)

Offline javichun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • My trading page
Strange noise in recording
« on: April 28, 2013, 05:47:03 PM »
Hi everybody!

I got a new set of mics and tested them last tuesday at a Lee Ranaldo concert. When I got home I noticed some intermitent noise in the right channel, it's not constant it comes and goes, you can hear it pretty well in this sample where Lee is speaking SAMPLE.

The equipment used was AT853 terminated in miniXLR > miniXLR to 1/8 adapter > CA-9200 > M10; I have been using this same equipment with different mics (CMC-8) and never had this problem before.

I think the problem might be in the connections, though I think everything was correctly connected. I checked the different connections at home and they seem fine.

Any ideas of the cause of this strange noise and what can I do to detect the source of it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

javichun

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Strange noise in recording
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »
sounds like loose connections to me. check all your wiring by recording while listening thru headphones, wiggle and spin all the connectors you can, I'll bet you'll find it

adrianf74

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 07:48:42 AM »
Seconded.   

That's definitely a loose connection somewhere in the chain.  I'd do as suggested above and I'm sure you'll find the problem.  Maybe it was that a connection wasn't 100% secure at one point (i.e., it "looked" fine but really wasn't).

Offline javichun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • My trading page
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 05:05:27 AM »
Thanks for the feedback! I'll make some test tomorrow at home to check that all the connections are fine. I'll let you know what I find!

Offline RemotelyLocated

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 01:49:59 PM »
As I'm learning, I'll be interested to read what the problem was.

Question for anyone, related to this: If it was a loose or weak wire leading to a mic capsule, wouldn't the sound cut out? (My first reaction to the sample audio was a weak ground that's common to both channels.)

Offline RemotelyLocated

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 02:29:22 PM »
I'm confused, adrianf, as you seem to be contradicting yourself within this same thread.

That's definitely a loose connection somewhere in the chain. ...
Has nothing to do with a "loose" or dirty connection. ...

My understanding is that a poorly-powered mic rapidly loses dynamic range and soon distorts (most noticeably) on a loud source and yet the sample is of a very quiet recording, no music, only Ranaldo speaking, with no apparent change in level even though the noise disappears towards the end of the sample.

I'm not disagreeing with you, only trying to understand more, or better what you may mean. Thanks.

adrianf74

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 02:35:30 PM »
Sorry... I should've been paying a little closer attention; wrong thread.

THAT DEFINITELY IS A LOOSE CONNECTION.  *facepalm*

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com