Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Selling ProTools licence not related to any hardware  (Read 2885 times)

Offline lamacchiacosta

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Selling ProTools licence not related to any hardware
« on: May 23, 2013, 12:57:48 PM »
Hello,

I just sold my PT10 licence and already transferred to the iLock to the new owner who can now happily work with it.
We filled also the "transfer of ownership" form and here starts the hell:

I bought PT7 M-powered few years ago, boxed with no hardware, as we could do with no problem, then I bough an M-Audio Profire Lightbridge separately and lived happy for a while.
Last December I cross-graded to the new PT10 that doesn't need any hardware and kept using my M-Audio with no problem.
Then I decided to sell the software (that is not attached to any hardware) and a lovely guy bought it.
He just called the UK support and has been treated very rudely and not nice at all, just because the form is requiring to write down also the hardware and its serial number to it.
That means they are forcing me to sell MY hardware, that I don't want to sell, to him, that doesn't want it, and it is NOT connected at all to the software, so it wouldn't work anyway bureocratic-wise.
I just tried to call the UK support myself but they are shut ad before being treated like an idiot, tomorrow, because of their lacking bureaucracy, I would like to know if someone had this same experience and how has been sorted out and in case what's the name of lovely person we can call at Avid UK who can help us out with this issue and be happy PT users?

Thanks a lot.

Ema

Offline George2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Marshall7

Re: Selling ProTools licence not related to any hardware
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 03:47:53 PM »
Does he actually need to HAVE the hardware, or can he just write the names and serial numbers on the form?

Offline lamacchiacosta

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 04:42:32 AM »
He probably have his own hardware.
The form is requiring to write down the serial number of the hardware as well.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:43:02 PM by lamacchiacosta »

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 10:37:41 AM »
You might ask this question over at GS.  I suspect their are more PT users over there who might have some experience transferring a license.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline lamacchiacosta

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 12:43:10 PM »
Just to answer my question,

this morning I called the UK support and they answered my question.

They don't encourage the sell of the software between users BUT who got the iLock with the licence, owns it.

---
As we discussed over the phone, for the upgrade process is not required to have the Pro Tools registered. The only thing required is to have access to the iLok account on which the Pro Tools license is deposited.

You can find more information about the Transfer of Ownership policy by visiting the below link:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/faq/en363631

----

Ema

Offline sdelsolray

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 03:14:01 PM »
I could be (at least I seem to remember something like this) that because you crossgraded from an earlier version of ProTools which did require actual Digidesign/Avid/MAudio hardware, that your PT 10 version remains "tainted" in that regard.  Put another way, had you purchased a fresh version of PT10 (i.e., not a crossgrade), there would be no hardware serial number requirement on transfer of ownership.

The flip of that is that since you sold your PT10, you no longer have any valid licensed PT software to run on your MAudio hardware.

Again, I'm not sure about this, but do check.

Offline lamacchiacosta

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 11:39:42 AM »
That's fine,

I'm using my M-Audio hardware with other software.
Both 7 and 10 versione were definitely related to any hardware.
Is just Avid politics making things bureaucratic and difficult.
:-)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com