Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie - needs quick advice!  (Read 5985 times)

Offline 404 Not Found

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Newbie - needs quick advice!
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 02:55:21 PM »
Church-Audio was spot on in regards to your needs, especially if you are looking to return the recorder and mics.  Just rent them from a local audio/video dealer or take up Church-Audio on their offer.  Every city has some business that usually provides a full range of sound and lighting equipment for daily+ rentals.  Guitar/Music stores have in the past rented multi track recorders as well.   Just get something simple to use.
Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 02:59:55 PM »
Sonic sense rents equipment as well, but they're probably out of your price range!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

stevetoney

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 06:39:22 PM »
Good advice about rental no doubt...one has to wonder how interested the OP is in that advice though. 

Sorry to newbs everywhere that might think from this thread that TS.com isn't a friendly, welcoming place to newb tapers.  I've personally helped tens, if not hundreds of newb tapers over the years.  But when the first questions in the first two posts from a new member are about bootlegging and/or using a new recorder and taking it back the next day, the responses are predictably not going to be a big ole 'welcome'.

To the original poster, your friends were correct to direct you to this talkgroup...it's a wealth of knowledge from experience people.  Many people consider this one of the most civil, friendly places on the web.  However, you need to also read the 'start here' section, which discusses our view on bootlegging, and respect the fact that this site is occupied by legitimate tapers, engineers and equipment dealers.  Its not a group of people that are here to talk about ways to scam equipment dealers and artists.  Not trying to to be obnoxious with this response...just tring to help recalibrate your expectations a bit.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 06:51:43 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 02:11:44 PM »
Good advice about rental no doubt...one has to wonder how interested the OP is in that advice though. 

Sorry to newbs everywhere that might think from this thread that TS.com isn't a friendly, welcoming place to newb tapers.  I've personally helped tens, if not hundreds of newb tapers over the years.  But when the first questions in the first two posts from a new member are about bootlegging and/or using a new recorder and taking it back the next day, the responses are predictably not going to be a big ole 'welcome'.

To the original poster, your friends were correct to direct you to this talkgroup...it's a wealth of knowledge from experience people.  Many people consider this one of the most civil, friendly places on the web.  However, you need to also read the 'start here' section, which discusses our view on bootlegging, and respect the fact that this site is occupied by legitimate tapers, engineers and equipment dealers.  Its not a group of people that are here to talk about ways to scam equipment dealers and artists.  Not trying to to be obnoxious with this response...just tring to help recalibrate your expectations a bit.

^ Agreed. "I have a show to bootleg this weekend" is not the best way to start off here. Also I would almost bet that just about no one on this site knows much about attempting to buy good gear and return it the next day (outside of the rental option that is).
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 04:12:12 PM »
So he's a noob and knows no better with his reference to "bootleg". I'm willing to let that slide unless he continues to use the term (provided he continues posting).

The "return equipment the next day" is what I have the problem with. If any place will do that I can think of only two scenarios where it might happen: 1) allow full credit for an upgrade to more expensive equipment or 2) charge a hefty restocking fee. For the latter I think renting would likely have been cheaper.

I'm curious what band he wanted to record and hope he at least posts once more with that info and how his first time recording a show turned out. Would be nice if he also gave us his impressions of whether recording was as easy as he thought it was going to be and if the results were as good as he hoped they would be.

well said

stevetoney

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 07:23:32 PM »
Totally agree Flipp.

It's always amazing to me how that one b-word is like nails on the chalkboard here.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com