Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 4061 microdot battery box stealth options  (Read 4204 times)

Offline Angstroms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
DPA 4061 microdot battery box stealth options
« on: May 02, 2013, 05:42:11 PM »
I searched this forum for any thread that would be suffice for me asking this, but I couldn't find one.

So I recently purchased some DPA 4061's off eBay for a decent price. I knew that they were coming in the microdot form and that I will need to get some type of power source for them to run into my DAT. But here are my two questions:

1) I need a battery box that is stealthy and will give me a good source of power. I have heard the Ugly box by Church Audio is good, maybe Tinybox creates custom boxes as well?
2) Most battery boxes I have seen run with 1/8" jacks, is there a way to get these mics re-cabled and converge onto one 1/8" jack because the DPA microdot box is pretty expensive.

So overall, I am just looking for a small/stealthy battery box, and if re-cabling the DPA mics is an option and where I can do that. Thanks.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: DPA 4061 microdot battery box stealth options
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 06:04:10 PM »
Options are:
1) custom 2 x microdot > 1/8" stereo TRS 'Y' adapter cable.
2) custom microdot input battery box or preamp (Church can provide these. Note that there are two variations on the CA-UGLY, one is a battery box only, the other a preamp.  He can also build the larger preamps with dots).
3) standard DPA battery box or DPA MMA6000 preamp (I have a MMA6000 I can let go if interested).
4) chop the dots and reterminate to 1/8" stereo TRS or mini-XLR.

5) use the DPA Phantom Power Adapters and a phantom power supply
The last option would work fine, but probably not what you want as it would require a seperate phantom supply.  However, it would be the prefered way to go if you needed to make a long cable run to the preamp or recorder as it would use standard balanced microphone cable between phatom adapter and the supply.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Angstroms

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 07:47:47 PM »
Thank you for replying gutbucket,

I'd rather not have the Y-Adapter just because I want my stealth rig to have as little connections as possible, and shorter cable lengths. So it's clean and tidy.

Do you have any links to these battery boxes? Which custom microdot would be better? The battery box or preamp? I am still new to all of this. The MMA6000 looks pretty bulky and my DAT recorder is already big enough. I'd rather not chop the dots myself, where can I go to get them re-terminated? Or ship them out to?

EDIT: Maybe I'll just keep the microdots... Or terminate to a mini-XLR. I just need to know what the pricing would be for somewhere to do that. I wouldn't want to mess it up and would rather have a pro do them.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 08:28:15 PM by Angstroms »

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 01:00:53 AM »
I have a cable microdot/1/8 extension/jumper cable....I use it with CA 9200 with microdot/1/8" input...Chris Church did built the cable and the pre for me...works like a charm and the Y jumpercable is only a few inch long and screws together..so there is no chance of a loose connection.

Just my 2 cents....in addition I don't mind the cable length of the DPA 4061.... less chance of getting stress to a cable during a  >:D job

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 10:00:39 AM »
Thank you for replying gutbucket,

I'd rather not have the Y-Adapter just because I want my stealth rig to have as little connections as possible, and shorter cable lengths. So it's clean and tidy.

I mostly use DIY 'Y' adapters with my 4060s. They are only 5" long and the dot>barrel>dot side conection is typically much more relilable than the 1/8" TRS end.  It has only ever been a problem if it unscrews a bit and gets loose, but some gaffer tape prevents that.  I reterminated my 4061s directly to an 1/8" TRS.  I would not suggest trying to reterminate them or building adapter 'Y's yourself unless you are pretty accomplished with an iron as the  center signal wire in the DPA mic cable is microscopically small and rather difficult solder without burning up.

Do you have any links to these battery boxes? Which custom microdot would be better? The battery box or preamp? I am still new to all of this. The MMA6000 looks pretty bulky and my DAT recorder is already big enough. I'd rather not chop the dots myself, where can I go to get them re-terminated? Or ship them out to?

The cable guys can reterminate them for you (darktrain, tgakidis, possibly others) as can Chris Church if you decide to use one of his standard battery boxes or preamps instead of a microdot input version of them. 

If you only record louder stuff you may be fine with only a battery box.  If you need gain look into the small Church or Niaint preamps.  Both work very well with these mics.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline taper666

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 10:19:46 AM »
I'm running my DPA 4061 mics terminated to a simple 1/8 mini jack going into a simple ugly battery box made by Chris with great results... I think this is the smallest possible rig! you'll get a used battery box for a couple of dollars so this is also the cheapest option... If you want to shorten the cables and don't want to use the original microdot connectors I think this is the way to go! That's quite simple and you can do it yourself if you're having a soldering iron...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 10:23:10 AM by taper666 »
Rec:  AKG CK63 - Nbob actives - Naiant Tinybox - Roland R-05
Play: FiiO X3 - Shure SRH1440

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 04:37:50 PM »
Personally, I would keep the microdots and either get Church to make you a microdot battery box or buy one of the DPA options.  That connection would be locking, which I think is nice.  Otherwise, I would get a short Y-cable (something I have been meaning to get myself for some time), which has the advantage of flexibility (you could use any microdot or 1/8" accessory)...

Offline Angstroms

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 04:46:21 PM »

The cable guys can reterminate them for you (darktrain, tgakidis, possibly others) as can Chris Church if you decide to use one of his standard battery boxes or preamps instead of a microdot input version of them. 

If you only record louder stuff you may be fine with only a battery box.  If you need gain look into the small Church or Niaint preamps.  Both work very well with these mics.

Personally, I would keep the microdots and either get Church to make you a microdot battery box or buy one of the DPA options.  That connection would be locking, which I think is nice.  Otherwise, I would get a short Y-cable (something I have been meaning to get myself for some time), which has the advantage of flexibility (you could use any microdot or 1/8" accessory)...

I talked to Chris, he said a preamp would be the way to go. I've been talked into keeping the microdots, no sense in chopping these up. Does a preamp also work as a battery box as well, and is there manual gain on it. I taped mostly rock/alternative concerts so it is always loud. Seems like the preamp is the way to go? Or can I just ride with a batt box with microdot terminals?

Again, thanks for all your replies.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 05:08:53 PM »
I talked to Chris, he said a preamp would be the way to go. I've been talked into keeping the microdots, no sense in chopping these up. Does a preamp also work as a battery box as well, and is there manual gain on it. I taped mostly rock/alternative concerts so it is always loud. Seems like the preamp is the way to go? Or can I just ride with a batt box with microdot terminals?

Yes, the preamp will power the mics and you can adjust the gain down to unity so it effectively acts like just a batterybox with no gain change through it if required.  That's how I use the MMA6000 and CA-UGLY preamps with the considerably more sensitive 4060s.  If required, you can increase gain through the preamp as necessary for lower SPL material.  You'll have a lot of flexibility that way.  You will do well to trust Chris's judement on the details of the connections.

Offline Angstroms

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 08:47:18 PM »

Yes, the preamp will power the mics and you can adjust the gain down to unity so it effectively acts like just a batterybox with no gain change through it if required.  That's how I use the MMA6000 and CA-UGLY preamps with the considerably more sensitive 4060s.  If required, you can increase gain through the preamp as necessary for lower SPL material.  You'll have a lot of flexibility that way.  You will do well to trust Chris's judement on the details of the connections.

Do you have a pic of the CA-UGLY preamp you can PM me? I'd love to see it. Thanks a lot for everyone's input.

Oh, and how about the gain? How sturdy are the knobs, so they don't move while in a pocket? I am just covering all the bases with this.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 12:30:13 AM »
Previous CA-UGLY (like I have, no knobs, less easily field adjustable)-

Current version with more easily field-adjustable detented master gain knob-

adrianf74

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 12:39:06 PM »
Let's add something else to the equation... this is an Ugly II Preamp built mid-last month.   You'll notice that everything is now on the one side of the preamp.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com