Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Will I be throwing away money on these?  (Read 3768 times)

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
Will I be throwing away money on these?
« on: March 19, 2004, 01:40:56 PM »
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040319102434024009200225543067/g=rec/s=headphones/search/detail/base_pid/603675/

I'm dirt poor after finally getting my rig together. I don't even have the money to get these right now. I need a playback upgrade from my $20 computer speakers. I want to use these mainly for studio monitoring. there's local band that's actually paying me money to record and produce their album (it's not as cool as it sounds, but it should be a lot of fun, I'm undercharging and just helping em out). I'd love to do 24/96 playback with my terratec ewx 24/96 (optical out). i will not have funds for even a $500 playback budget for some years now, I'm about to graduate. is this a worthy purchase until I really get into playback a couple years from now?

I appreciate the help  A LOT.  thanks  :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 01:41:23 PM by Chris color »
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:Will I be throwing away money on these?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 01:58:51 PM »
i dont think youd be throwing your money away persay, however i think you will get sick of them in not too long- the edirol monitors, from my experience just arent that great.  they dont carry any one set of fq's really well, but they do a lot of things just ok.  i guess i wonder if buying an old used amp and getting some passive monitors might end up being better for you in the long run.  

Offline 1st set only

• Needs to get out more...
  • you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 03:51:31 PM »
i dont think youd be throwing your money away persay, however i think you will get sick of them in not too long- the edirol monitors, from my experience just arent that great.  they dont carry any one set of fq's really well, but they do a lot of things just ok.  i guess i wonder if buying an old used amp and getting some passive monitors might end up being better for you in the long run.  

though i dont know what these monitos sound like i would second what he said.move your stereo to your computer.
the show is over go home please.

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 04:18:59 PM »
hmm, while I'd love to try to get an old amp and some passive monitors, I just don't see myself having the $ to do it before I start this studio project.

I'm gonna try and find the manuals for my dads' technics sb-2685 speakers (they have a frequency chart of some kind with a whole bunch of specs on the front of the speakers but I can't read em because of that soft black covering, I want to take a close-up pic and have someone decipher those numbers for me). He bought them like, in the late 80's, but I know he payed a pretty penny for them and they have to be considered high end consumer gear, they definitely sound better than my $20 computer speakers.

damn, what a predicament.  I just wanna hear my music they way it was recorded!!!   :banging head:

ps, numbers for the technics coming soon...

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 11:04:16 PM »
monitoring on speakers is better than nothing, but id reccomend headphones over consumer grade speakers

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 11:08:39 PM »
i don't know a thing about those monitors but if you're looking for a relatively inexpensive way to listen to your tapes you might want to look into a nice set of headphones.  there are a quite a few nice options in the sub $150 range, my favorite being the sennheiser hd580s.  imho headphones will give you the best bang for your buck.

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 11:28:19 PM »
ya maybe you're right, but I'd hate to monitor studio stuff through headphones...

jpschust

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2004, 11:56:38 AM »
good headphones are better than consumer speakers for monitoring studio work- you are going to get less coloration on a pair of decent headphones than you will on consumer speakers, but anything is better than nothing

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2004, 01:56:06 PM »
good headphones are better than consumer speakers for monitoring studio work- you are going to get less coloration on a pair of decent headphones than you will on consumer speakers, but anything is better than nothing

hmm, I will have to keep that in mind as well.  thanks for the help bud.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2004, 06:03:51 PM »
I would personally not use the HD580's for monitoring.  My vote is for something more analytical, like the Sony V6 (or 7506) headphone.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com