Gear / Technical Help > Cables

DIY stereo snake mic cables - good option?

(1/9) > >>

voltronic:
I am looking to start making my own 2-channel mic cables.  I want to do this without techflexing two cables in pairs; in other words one cable jacket assembly.  Low profile, low memory effect (lies flat) and flexibility are also considerations.

Initially I was going to use Schoeps SCH501 cable, but it is quite expensive at $12 / meter plus $13.50 shipping from Redding (very recent quote).

So, I have been looking into other options that would fit my needs.  Does anyone have experience with any of these?

1. Mogami W3106 - 3 people here recommended this already

2. Mogami W2930 (updated with link to Redco; cheaper than Markertek)

3. Canare MR-202AT

4. Belden 1902A

EDIT: Added Mogami W3106, and found that both Mogami options are cheaper from Redco, even with non-free shipping.

heathen:
No first-hand experience to add, but when I looked into this I saw some recommendations for Mogami 3106 on Gearslutz.

I'll probably make some eventually so make sure to post about how it turns out for you  :coolguy:

voltronic:

--- Quote from: heathen on November 19, 2018, 09:52:13 PM ---No first-hand experience to add, but when I looked into this I saw some recommendations for Mogami 3106 on Gearslutz.

I'll probably make some eventually so make sure to post about how it turns out for you  :coolguy:

--- End quote ---

Thanks; I'll look into that one.  I like that it has lower capacitance, as unrestricted high frequencies are very important for the music I record.

Ronmac:
I use the Canare you mention for several of the snakes I build (2,4 and12 channel). It holds up well and is very easy to build with and coils easily.

The Mogami 2930 is also very nice, although I would probably go with the Redco branded version for considerable less cost. They look identical, but I have never seen the Redco version, so it may be jacketed differently.

Unless you are running several hundred feet the capacitance differences should not be an issue for audio signals driven by modern equipment.

Walstib62:
One thing to keep in mind is when you "split" the cables, you will have relatively delicate tails that are prone to stress and can fail easily. Extra care must be taken to provide strain relief to the unprotected portion of the cable.

This might be a good option.:   https://www.markertek.com/product/mg-3106/mogami-w3106-dual-channel-audio-cable-black-per-foot?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&cvsfa=3786&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=4d472d33313036&ne_ppc_id=1553541259&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgOzdBRDlARIsAJ6_HNmmQkQvVbmp19heWDTP7DfpVUuxLjwpR8dqQHOdFDNfaOXXXKAt5wIaAgtxEALw_wcB

I haven't used it, so I don't know first hand how well it handles or durability.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version