Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Recording with iOS devices

(1/6) > >>

smokenburn:
People have asked I start a thread regarding recording with an iPhone.

Some may think there may be issues, but It's not as scary as it seems.  One good thing is you can adjust the settings so you have to hold down 'stop' for 3 seconds to stop recording, so you don't worry as much about pressing a tiny record button twice putting the recorder back in the bag.  I'm using an Apogee Duet (iOS) interface which has very good preamps and DAC in one box.  You would need to power that Duet with external power such as a Lenmar DVD battery.  All the converting is performed in the Apogee Duet and the iPhone is essentially a bit bucket and DAW.  The breakout cables are kind of a pita in the field or even used on a desk, but it's ok.  You can purchase a breakout box which may make sense in the field but I haven't used one.  Recently I've been using a Sonosax SX-M2 into the Duet (line level) and just using the Duet's converters.  I like it.  Apogee Metarecorder is a basic free software for iPhone and I use Auria for iPad.

intpseeker:
Forgive my ignorance , but what do you do for storage?

Life In Rewind:
I think all the Behringer mixers support iOS recording via USB - not sure about the phone though.

adrianb:
Most of my stealth recordings are now done using an old iPhone 4s with 64GB of memory, and the Tascam iXJ2 IOS line-in device. It's a doddle to stealth basically.

I have some direct comparisons of using the iXJ2 and iPhone with the Sony PCM-M10 here:

https://soundcloud.com/quisquose/stealth-concert-recording-sony-pcm-m10-versus-iphone-tascam-ixj2-1
https://soundcloud.com/quisquose/stealth-concert-recording-sony-pcm-m10-versus-iphone-tascam-ixj2-ver-2

I'm looking to buy a proper XLR microphone soon, and when I do I will do some comparisons of wildlife recordings using my Sony PCM-D100 and the iPhone.

smokenburn:

--- Quote from: intpseeker on January 20, 2017, 09:56:37 PM ---Forgive my ignorance , but what do you do for storage?

--- End quote ---

The iPhone 6s has 64GB's storage.  The iPad 3 only has 16 GB's which sucks.  Considering 16GB's really means 12 and you have some apps that take up HD space you will need to transfer your files to an external drive frequently.  Also, with Auria/iPad if you are within about 1GB storage remaining the software will pause and ask if you want to continue.  So make sure you have 1-2GB's to spare minimum.

Also, you should set your iOS device to "Airplane Mode".

The Apogee Duet will charge the iOS device so you only need external power for the Duet.

I will post some pictures of the rig soon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version