Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50 PT II  (Read 100869 times)

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
Re: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50 PT II
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2008, 01:57:43 PM »
The mics were XY at about 6 1/2 feet up, dead center on the front of the soundboard.  LCF set to 75Hz.

How big is this place and how far back were you?

+T for the samples....really appreciate the effort

This gives you a good idea of the size.  This photo is from the loft area which is behind the soundboard
It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2008, 02:15:48 PM »
I also added 2 more tracks to check out in mp3 format today.  Enjoy, I am!

Victa mp3z from PCM-D50 internal mics

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »
Definitely pretty good for the amount of effort you made.  There is some break up on the bass thumping in the middle of track 1 and the image is a bit narrow (XY arrangement, methinks).  The limiter you used is the limiter that records an alternative track -20dB lower, am I right?  Does it then piece everything together (from the old) with the peak on the -20dB track as being the new '0dB'?  I am still confused on how it works.

Still wondering if anyone has used it with a UA-5 putting out 24/48 or 24/96 optical signal.

Offline Belexes

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2008, 11:48:54 PM »
Getting one of these with my state refund. I see B&H has them for $470 and free shipping. Any other retailer beating that price?

<edit>

Now I found it cheaper, but never dealt with this retailer before. Anyone have experience with them?

http://www.djdeals.com/sonyPCMD50.htm  ($457 free shipping)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 11:54:40 PM by Belexes »
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline seabrook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2008, 12:09:14 AM »
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ has it for $500 w/free shipping, a free set of Sony MDR-7502 headphones (a $45 value) and a 45 day return policy.
The site also has consumer reviews, where one very positive review for the PCM-D50 is titled "I wanna wake up next to it and buy it pancakes!"

Regarding DJDeals.com...they're a bit scary.  Here's a recent customer's comment from Bizrate.com:
"Just unsatisfied with policy of no returns, even if shipment has not been opened on some products (headphones, etc.). Not very flexible on that policy."
And another:
"A bit more care should be given to packaging. One air-pillow provides no additional safety if the product still bounces around inside the shipping box."
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 12:33:52 AM by seabrook »

Offline Belexes

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2008, 08:15:22 AM »
Thanks seabrook for your thoughts. I'll stay away from DJdeals. Definitely will still buy from any place that has free shipping and + reviews.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2008, 09:08:41 AM »
Thanks seabrook for your thoughts. I'll stay away from DJdeals. Definitely will still buy from any place that has free shipping and + reviews.
I have dealt with Musician's Friend many times and I got my PCM-D50 from them. Great customer service, fast shipping and great prices.  Couldn't ask for anything better.  Just my .02 of course.

Offline yousef

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2008, 07:19:19 AM »
After much pondering, I think I've landed on the D50 as my next recorder.

I haven't read much to put me off here or on the 'in the field' thread - so can anyone give me any really good reasons for avoiding this machine?

Also, is the line-in capable of taking an unattenuated +4dB signal or not? Not a deal-breaker, obviously, but nice to have.

Any advice is much appreciated; I'm hoping my next recorder will last me a good while so I'd like the absolute minimum of nasty surprises after handing over my money...
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline Outrageous

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2008, 12:25:04 PM »

Also, is the line-in capable of taking an unattenuated +4dB signal or not?

From the Sony website:
"Analog input - Input impedance: 40k ohms, rated input level: 2.0V, minimum input level: 450 mV"

I think that means it will do what you want.  Maybe someone more technically qualified can chime in.

Offline yousef

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2008, 03:24:45 PM »

From the Sony website:
"Analog input - Input impedance: 40k ohms, rated input level: 2.0V, minimum input level: 450 mV"

I think that means it will do what you want.  Maybe someone more technically qualified can chime in.

Ta for that. Like I say, it's not of huge importance to me but it's nice to have.

I'm intrigued that someone thought my question objectionable enough to dock me a ticket... There's some funny people about  ;)
music>other stuff>ears

Offline detroitblues

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2008, 06:04:10 PM »
buydig.com
   $449 free headphones free shipping got mine there ask for abe.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2008, 02:08:12 PM »
After much pondering, I think I've landed on the D50 as my next recorder.

I haven't read much to put me off here or on the 'in the field' thread - so can anyone give me any really good reasons for avoiding this machine?

Also, is the line-in capable of taking an unattenuated +4dB signal or not? Not a deal-breaker, obviously, but nice to have.

Any advice is much appreciated; I'm hoping my next recorder will last me a good while so I'd like the absolute minimum of nasty surprises after handing over my money...

Bench testing done here on D50 shows this deck handles a whopping +24 dBu LINE input!  On all inputs, if having to turn down level adjust knob below 2.5 to avoid VU above 0 dB, only then is input of this deck experiencing overload.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline yousef

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2008, 03:45:59 AM »

Bench testing done here on D50 shows this deck handles a whopping +24 dBu LINE input! 

Excellent! Many thanks for that, I think that this really is the one for me...
music>other stuff>ears

Offline brianp

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Shows I've taped on LMA
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2008, 04:33:12 PM »
Dumb question coming that I should probably already know...

When running line in (analog, not optical) should I have the D50 set to 0 or -20db? I'm guessing -20db. Will it really affect the sound much one way or the other? Running at 0db just adds more gain and potentially more hiss/internal noises right?

I love this new recorder. This is the perfect stealth recorder and exactly what I've been waiting on for years. I'll be posting some sample files of a recent comparison I did of the a/d convertor in the D50 vs. the a/d in the Mytek 192. After the first few listens, I'm very impressed with the a/d convertor in the D50 at 24/48.
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2008, 04:54:26 AM »
Dumb question coming that I should probably already know...

When running line in (analog, not optical) should I have the D50 set to 0 or -20db? I'm guessing -20db. Will it really affect the sound much one way or the other? Running at 0db just adds more gain and potentially more hiss/internal noises right?

I love this new recorder. This is the perfect stealth recorder and exactly what I've been waiting on for years. I'll be posting some sample files of a recent comparison I did of the a/d convertor in the D50 vs. the a/d in the Mytek 192. After the first few listens, I'm very impressed with the a/d convertor in the D50 at 24/48.

If like most Sony decks, input sensitivity switch works only for MIC input mode with no effect working line in.

Most D50 owners are expressing liking this deck for having excellent sound/build quality and seems a good value considering the asking price.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com