Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mini starquad (or "How Markertek ROCKS")  (Read 5206 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
mini starquad (or "How Markertek ROCKS")
« on: August 25, 2004, 12:37:49 PM »
Hello,
I have some leftover canare mini starquad cable that I was thinking of using with my mics.  I currently have the std starquad and am very happy with the performance, but the mini would be a nicer fit in the bag.  Is there any downside to using the mini instead of the regular.  I believe the wire guage (of the actual copper inside) is the same and there is still sheilding.  Has anybody ever tried?

Matt
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 01:46:27 PM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
Re: mini starquad
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 02:35:57 PM »
I use about a 15' run of mini canare.  Haven't noticed in adverse effects from possible interference from less shielding.

-Kevin

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 02:37:57 PM »
I run belden mini star quad cables & love them. So does Bush. FWIW
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline blu666z

• AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 03:13:44 PM »
Correction, I also have Belden.

-Kevin

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 03:41:00 PM »
My 25' mic cable set is made with the low profile canare starquad cable.  They've held up great, and sound very good--I'd def recommend the low profile canare starquad if you're making long mic cables so you can save a bit of room in your bag.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 05:19:11 PM »
Thanks guys... I think I will do that!  They are 20 footers, and I'll just leave them as they are.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline JNT

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 07:45:38 PM »
The standard canare L-4E6S is 21 guage. The mini canare L-4E5C is 23 guage.
http://www.canare.com/l4e6s.html

Joe
Mostly retired from taping.

JW Mod AKG 460+CK61/CK1/CK2/CK63>V3>
or
AKG CK1x/CK2x/>MK46>JW MOD C460>V3>

AKG C34>

>R44

"Drinking will help us plan!"  Moe Szyslak

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 03:45:37 PM »
The standard canare L-4E6S is 21 guage. The mini canare L-4E5C is 23 guage.
http://www.canare.com/l4e6s.html

Joe
I conciously looked at that!  This is from the markertek website:
   Photo of Canare L-4E5C Miniature Star-Quad (0.189

Highest signal isolation, unbelievable flexibility and durability. Special no-glare cable jacket. Used by America's leading soundmen and audio engineers. The first choice for hand-held microphones. Flexible, smooth to the touch, extra-strong standard diameter (21 AWG) STAR QUAD cable that fits perfectly in all XLR-type connectors. With 40 separate strands in each conductor, breakage due to flexing is all but eliminated. Available Colors: Black, Blue, Brown, Grey, Green, Purple, Orange, Red, Yellow, White. Sold Per Foot. Quantity Discounts Apply, Please Call For Pricing !!

I guess I'll call them and see if I can't get them to swap it for me.  I ordered it to make some RCA interconnects, and the OD of the RCA fitting is set for the larger size.  I assumed it would be closer to the mini size because they didn't have that listed at all on the section by the connectors.  I should have checked out both before I ordered, but oh well.  Thanks for the research!

Matt

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2004, 01:45:28 PM »
Well,
I called Markertek about the error on their site.  I left a message for the appropriate contact asking that instead of wasting money shipping things back and forth, would they be willing to just send me 10'  (my original purchase was 20' of each) of each color in the regular starquad and call it even.  She called me back and said "you mean 20' right?" I said well, I'll take 20' of each if you'll give it to me, but my biggest concern was what I was using 10' of cable for.  She said can you even use 20'?, and I said sure I'm always wishing I had a few more mic cables.  So she said OK... I'll send you 20' of each color in the regular starquad and get it in the mail today or tomorrow.
     Great customer service!!!  Now I have a bonus 40' of cable to play with, and the stuff I need to make the interconnects for my buddy. 

Matt

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
Re: mini starquad (or "How Markertek ROCKS")
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2004, 03:46:48 PM »
So how small is this mini starquad?  I really need to get some new cables for my micros, but I need something small enough to fit a mini XLR on one end.  I would get the Audiomagic Hypers, but I can't really afford $200+ on cables right now...
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2004, 05:51:27 PM »
So how small is this mini starquad?  I really need to get some new cables for my micros, but I need something small enough to fit a mini XLR on one end.  I would get the Audiomagic Hypers, but I can't really afford $200+ on cables right now...
It's tiny... less than 1/4" in diameter.  Maybe 3/16th.  They have it measured in mm on the canare site.  It is supple and very flexable.  I assume this won't  be as good as AM hypers, but at $0.33 per foot you can't go wrong. I haven't gotten into the high-end cables yet, so I can't say if it is worth the extra $175 to go to the AM cables.  If you don't have the spare juice, you don't have that option though!

Matt

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2004, 11:37:22 PM »
It's tiny... less than 1/4" in diameter.  Maybe 3/16th.  They have it measured in mm on the canare site.  It is supple and very flexable.  I assume this won't  be as good as AM hypers, but at $0.33 per foot you can't go wrong. I haven't gotten into the high-end cables yet, so I can't say if it is worth the extra $175 to go to the AM cables.  If you don't have the spare juice, you don't have that option though!

Matt

I used to run the standard star quads with my Octavas, so I have a feeling I'll like these.  I'm gonna be ordering some soon.  Thanks for the advice! ;D
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2004, 12:23:34 AM »
It's small, but I'm not sure I'd say tiny.  My unscientific measurements say it is about 3/16".  Smaller than typical mic cable for sure, but not in the realm of active cable diameters or the diameter of the cables that come with the m1290s.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2004, 04:43:18 AM »
does anyone have the part # on this stuff? i suck at searching places that sell this stuff. a link would be even better

need some 20-25ft'ers to run split omnis

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2004, 09:44:21 AM »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com