Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Korg MR-1000  (Read 81862 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Re: Korg MR-1000
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2007, 03:41:16 PM »
More on the battery life: I ran it with 8 AA 2700 mAh PowerX cells, again with an AT 835ST which draws 4 mA phantom.  The green light went red a little after 3 hours, but it didn't shut down until 4 hours 45 minutes, then saved and turned off.  The red low battery light is a different color than the external power indication, which is orange/amber. 

Jeff

Offline newblue

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "Yeah, well, the Dude abides."
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2007, 07:30:30 PM »
That's cool.  It goes into a save > power-down mode before loosing enough juice to finalize the session.  That's good to know.

+
To be able to fill leisure intelligently is the last product of civilization, and at present very few people have reached this level. - Bertrand Russell

TLM170R/KM184 > V2 > MR-1000 [Zaolla Interconnects]

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2007, 12:16:16 PM »
here's the email exchange I had with Doug:

HI !
Not yet but I am working on it and hope top have one spoon. It may take me a
month or so to decide what , if anything, can be done to improve it but I will
find out !
peace...Doug

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2007, 12:40:46 PM »
here's the email exchange I had with Doug:

HI !
Not yet but I am working on it and hope top have one spoon. It may take me a
month or so to decide what , if anything, can be done to improve it but I will
find out !
peace...Doug

Disappointing news: the top of mine has no sign of a spoon.  We will have to wait for the ACM (alternate cafeteria mod) to get this feature.

Jeff

Offline newblue

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2007, 01:49:08 PM »
Wonder if and when this happens, if he will mod units not purchased from him?  I know that he has done this in the past with other gear.  I would expect it to be an ACM type of mod, but it will be interesting to see what his determination will be.  Thanks Bobby for posting this.

+
To be able to fill leisure intelligently is the last product of civilization, and at present very few people have reached this level. - Bertrand Russell

Offline Gizby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2007, 08:42:57 PM »
How nice, Sweetwater sent candy with my order.

And yeah, if Doug does mods, I pray that he'll do ones not purchased from him.

I'll run a test tonight, then I'll use it in the field tomorrow.
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

Offline Gizby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2007, 02:35:18 AM »
Alright, ran a small test, so I know it does work. A few questions.

1) I can't figure out how to set the settings for the file formats. I click on WAV or one of the 1-bit options, but I don't know how to access the screens for frequency/bit-depth. The book indicates that once I choose one, that screen will pop up.

2) I've heard talk of the BatteryGeek battery, but are there any other brands that would work?

3) Just how sensitive is this thing going to be to vibrations/being moved? In most cases I think I'd be able to set it down somewhere, but in some places it'll be small and there might be a fair amount of bass accompanied with some shaking. Also, I would hope to use this in field recording, carrying it at my side. Do you think this unit will work at all if moved any or put on its side while recording? The booklet says these things should be avoided, but I'm hoping they're just staying on the safe side.
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2007, 10:09:23 AM »
Alright, ran a small test, so I know it does work. A few questions.

1) I can't figure out how to set the settings for the file formats. I click on WAV or one of the 1-bit options, but I don't know how to access the screens for frequency/bit-depth. The book indicates that once I choose one, that screen will pop up.

Just use the "value" wheel to scroll down, it will go to either a kH/bit screen (if you've checked PCM) or a choice between 2.6 and 5.2 Mb/s.

I think any roughly 12 V supply with enough amp output will work.  The BatteryGeek cell is clearly overkill, but it is nice and small.

I have no field experience yet (it doesn't seem terribly delicate), will take it out for a run Friday, I plan to set up a pair of Neumann KM184s XY into a SD722 and a pair of baffled Josephson C617s into the Korg, no external preamps just the two boxes.  I have done a number of piano recitals with the Josephsons directly into the SD722, so even though this will not be  a head-to-head comparison of the two boxes it should give me some sense of how they stack up against each other.

Jeff

Offline MattH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2007, 11:42:32 AM »
I am having some serious problems with converting 1bit/5.6 MHz to 16/44 for cd burning. Basically it sounds awful. Could do a whole lot better transfering via analog from the MR-1000 to a standalone cd burner. Something is very wrong with AudioGate and I will be letting Korg know it.

Anyone else having this problem?
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's
pre's: Audio Developments AD 066(11), V2, Littlebox, Tinybox, Reutelhuber
recorders: Sonosax SX-R4, Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Tascam DR-2, Mackie DL32R
playback: Teac UD-501 DAC > Meyer Sound

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2007, 12:31:29 PM »
What is the problem?  Note that Korg DSD records up to +3 dB not 0 dB, and if you hit 3 dB in DSD you still have a good recording, but if you just convert via Audiogate to PCM without adjustment you could get clipping.  This is why AudioGate has a function to let you change gain during PCM conversion.  If what you get sounds like clipping, try running AudiGate cutting the gain by 3 dB.  I did my conversions at 24/96 and the reduction to 16/44.1 in Wavelab, because I am comfortable with Wavelab downsampling and dithering, and I don't know how AudioGate delivers here, but the few short things I did at 16/44.1 directly sound okay.

Jeff

Offline MattH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2007, 01:21:24 PM »
What is the problem?  Note that Korg DSD records up to +3 dB not 0 dB, and if you hit 3 dB in DSD you still have a good recording, but if you just convert via Audiogate to PCM without adjustment you could get clipping.  This is why AudioGate has a function to let you change gain during PCM conversion.  If what you get sounds like clipping, try running AudiGate cutting the gain by 3 dB.  I did my conversions at 24/96 and the reduction to 16/44.1 in Wavelab, because I am comfortable with Wavelab downsampling and dithering, and I don't know how AudioGate delivers here, but the few short things I did at 16/44.1 directly sound okay.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I did reduce gain -3dB as the AudioGate suggests and it's not just the occasional clipping which I believe I am avoiding but the whole thing sounds really bad. I will try your method of converting to 24/96 with audiogate and then dither/resample with some other program like wavelab. But 16/44 shouldn't sound bad if it's not clipping. Have you been starting with 5.6MHz recordings?
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's
pre's: Audio Developments AD 066(11), V2, Littlebox, Tinybox, Reutelhuber
recorders: Sonosax SX-R4, Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Tascam DR-2, Mackie DL32R
playback: Teac UD-501 DAC > Meyer Sound

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2007, 02:15:24 PM »
Have you been starting with 5.6MHz recordings?

I have done only 2.8 MHz, but will run 5.6 MHz tomorrow, will post my impressions over the weekend.  I'll try going directly to 16/44.1 and compare with going to 24/96 and dithering/downsampling in an editor (my early attempts with the MR-1 to go to 24/192 were defeated by the hf noise that Audiogate leaves in, which makes editing at 24/192 almost impossible, unless you go by ear alone and don't look at the waveform).

Jeff

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2007, 05:50:17 PM »
Are you guys reporting any of this to Korg?
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2007, 11:07:03 PM »
Not directly, but I understand that the hf issue has been reported to them and a new version of AudioGate has been announced for later this month.

Jeff

Offline newblue

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2007, 11:58:15 PM »
Matt,

Is there anyway that you might be able to post an audio clip of the affected audio?  And this occurs only when converting to 16/44.1 using audiogate?  The 1/5.6M files sound ok?  I recorded a band, Chicago Afrobeat Project, last weekend in 1/5.6M and the conversion to 16/44.1k was sounded fine.  Does the 1/5.6M file sound normal on the computer after transfer via USB?  Let us know what you find out.

+T for your troubles.

JC

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.131 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com