Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PCM-M10 Achilles heels  (Read 15386 times)

Offline tbger

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: PCM-M10 Achilles heels
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 07:06:15 PM »
I've been using the M10 intensively for about 2 years, used to lecture recording on a nearly daily basis.  Two things I'd like to tell you regarding the care of this unit based on my experience:

The switches do have a cheap feeling, so just avoid using them.  The M10's battery life is excellent -- I switch batteries every few weeks having it always on, recording hours of lectures every week.

I also use the remote daily.  Once plug is properly connected, you shouldn't be disconnecting it from the device whatsoever.  Simply put it in a tough case that leaves enough space for the remote's plug.  I do the same with the USB cable - I have a retractable one always connected with a cover on its other edge unless I'm using it.

As mentioned above there's always the risk of the remote 'bypassing' the lock switch allowing recording to be stopped.  But that's why you have the red indicator on it - it turns off when recording stops (and is always on when device is recording).  When used on a daily basis I prefer to use the remote's buttons other than daily pressing the buttons on the device itself.

Overall I think its important to have this recorder always stored in a closed case to minimize wear on the switches (and inputs).

By the way where did you get your remote replacement ?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 07:12:07 PM »
My m10s live in lowepro cases when not being used!!!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 10:47:46 AM »
The battery door is also an Achilles heel.
The hinges are quite weak and need gentle handling.
Sony does NOT sell spare battery doors.

adrianf74

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 11:15:42 AM »
The two biggest issues I've encountered have already been mentioned:

1/ The switches are pretty craptastic (especially the Power / Lock one); the spring on that switch died the first or second time I used my M10 so I've had to be extra careful when taking it out of LOCK mode if I'm still recording.

2/ The battery door is very finicky.  I don't know why Sony put hinges on it that are so "weak."

Luckily, I've never had issues with the clock.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 12:07:23 PM »
W.r.t. the M10 battery door:

Can anybody here 3D-print a (better!) replacement door, please?

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 01:46:59 PM »
By the way where did you get your remote replacement ?

A fellow TS member who wasn't planning to use his remote sold me mine, but Sony also sells them. Who knows, though, you might ask in the Yard Sale since there is a faction that won't use the remote with the PCM-M10.

I carried on using my first PCM-M10 for a while, either leaving it on or turning it on by connecting the USB to the computer (that works too). But now the remote jack seems to have given up, so I'm on to PCM-M10 no. 2.

The battery door does seem pretty fragile,  but in a lot of steady use, mine never broke.

It was figured out a while back that the clock issue is really not an issue. You just have to leave the unit on or sleeping long enough to recharge its little internal battery to hold the settings. If you take the batteries out and leave it off, then yes, you'll have to reset the clock.

Offline tbger

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 05:51:16 PM »
Thanks for the info on the remote.

I'd say keep it always connected and keep the recorder inside some sturdy yet comfortable case.  I use a "Lowepro Navi 5.0", it fits perfectly with right-angled plugs on the top (for mic / line), remote and a USB cable connected all together.  It's best to not connect and disconnect things on these device regularly as its input sockets are clearly not of the best quality.  Same with the switches and I suppose main buttons as well, unfortunately.

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 09:12:49 AM »
I would suggest to NOT USE THE REMOTE. Even tho the m10 is LOCKED, the stop button still works on the remote. That could really make someone sour after the check their m10 and find out that it accidentally got "stopped" ;)

But to each his own! I personally wouldnt risk it ;)

^ This is the same on the DR-2d. Others reported using the remote with success but I just don't see why I would ever need to risk it.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2013, 10:29:02 AM »
I would suggest to NOT USE THE REMOTE. Even tho the m10 is LOCKED, the stop button still works on the remote. That could really make someone sour after the check their m10 and find out that it accidentally got "stopped" ;)

But to each his own! I personally wouldnt risk it ;)

^ This is the same on the DR-2d. Others reported using the remote with success but I just don't see why I would ever need to risk it.

The DR2d remote is infared not wired.  That's the key difference that makes using the remote both safe and more convenient.  It only functions if it has a clear and direct line of sight to the recorder.  Stashing either the remote or the recorder is equivalent to locking out the remote so that it will not stop the recording even if you push the stop button.   I find the safest way to run the DR2d to avoid accidental button presses is to turn on the recorder and imediately lock it, then only use the remote.  Even when open recording.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline OMA

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 12:05:43 AM »
I just bought a Sony PCM-M10, and I'm disappointed to read it doesn't last more than a few years.

I have a Sharp MT-88 MiniDisc recorder bought back in 2002 (already second hand, mind you!), and I've been using it throughout all these years to tape hundreds of shows without any problem at all. 11 years!

I bought the M10 because I was tired of having to re-record all my shows into the PC using analogue connection, which led to me slacking in transferring all my MDs to PC, and I ended always looking for empty minidiscs for the next show, and sometimes having to transfer them at the last moment :) (which as you know takes several hours, which is a pain).

So this new Sony recorder seems to be good, but without anything near the same build quality as the old MD recorders. If anything, these new recorders should last MORE, since they have no moving parts, no motor, no lens... A lot less things can go wrong! But it seems it's much more cheaply made than the old MD units, which leads to stupid failures such as switch and connector problems.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 12:20:40 AM by OMA »

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2013, 12:18:30 AM »
I just bought a Sony PCM-M10, and I'm disappointed to read it doesn't last more than a few years.

You needn't have such low expectations.

I got my first PCM-M10 late in 2009 and it was battle-ready until 2013. Except for the remote jack, it would still be going strong--it'll still record anything, just has to be controlled on the unit.

I record about 100 shows per year, punctuated by some marathon weekend-long fests, so the unit and particularly the remote get jostled a lot. If you've kept an MD going that long--which has a lot of intricate mechanical moving parts--your PCM-M10 will probably last just as long.

Hold it in your hand, the thing is like a brick. I never had any trouble with switches, the battery door, or other vulnerabilities different users have cited.  Everybody puts different stresses on their toys.

And the sound you'll get, and the uploading convenience, are so vastly superior to MD that you will be kicking yourself that you didn't get it sooner.

Meanwhile, if you want to buy some blank minidiscs, like dozens or hundreds, please PM me. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 12:20:47 AM by earmonger »

Offline OMA

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2013, 12:41:54 AM »
Thanks for your reassuring answer ;D

I don't record nearly as much shows a year, maybe less than half. Well, I'll try to be careful with it anyway, so hopefully it will last a few more years :)

And the sound you'll get, and the uploading convenience, are so vastly superior to MD that you will be kicking yourself that you didn't get it sooner.

Well, the uploading convenience is there, but the sound, though I suppose it's superior, since it's uncompressed linear PCM, instead of ATRAC, and the preamp is supposed to be good, I still haven't been able to experience it. I recorded a folk jam session a few days ago just to test it out, and the recording resulted with slight clipping. I used manual recording, low sensitivity, no limiter nor low-cut, and the level dial on 5, using built in mics. I suppose I should have used a lower setting, but this was a small group of people playing acoustic instruments in a pub, not a loud rock concert! I'll try on 2.5 next time.

I remember that with my Sharp MT-88 (+ Sony ECM-DS70P mic) I could record just about anything without caring about settings, be it folk or heavy metal. It could even record with no problem some inhumanly loud concert a few years back ;D

Meanwhile, if you want to buy some blank minidiscs, like dozens or hundreds, please PM me.

Minidiscs? Where we're going we don't need minidiscs! ;D (hopefully)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 12:48:36 AM by OMA »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2013, 06:42:52 PM »
I've had great success with the m10 so far. I've had my black one since 2011 and my red one since 2012 and they are rock solid still! I never use the remote, and even tho I record a LOT of shows with them, I baby my gear. Just take good care of it and it will last a long time ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2013, 07:25:07 PM »
The one possibly adverse thing that I've found about the M10 is that its 24-bit recording mode doesn't seem to offer any wider dynamic range than its 16-bit mode, or at most just a dB or two. Somewhere in another thread I posted spectrum analyzer photos of the unit in both settings, using the line inputs, with the recording level knobs set to low-ish settings.

If anyone here has determined any differently, I would certainly like to know about it (different settings or approaches might yield different results for all I know), but otherwise, it seems to me that we could all spare ourselves 1/3 of the storage-space hassles and just use the recorder in its 16-bit mode.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2013, 08:02:53 PM »
The one possibly adverse thing that I've found about the M10 is that its 24-bit recording mode doesn't seem to offer any wider dynamic range than its 16-bit mode, or at most just a dB or two. Somewhere in another thread I posted spectrum analyzer photos of the unit in both settings, using the line inputs, with the recording level knobs set to low-ish settings.

If anyone here has determined any differently, I would certainly like to know about it (different settings or approaches might yield different results for all I know), but otherwise, it seems to me that we could all spare ourselves 1/3 of the storage-space hassles and just use the recorder in its 16-bit mode.

--best regards

I remember reading this as well. What exactly do you think the 24 bit mode does, then?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.131 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com